• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Light weight Nytro Battery???

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I finally took the plunge and bought a T-Nytro. It has all the goodies but does not have the lightweight battery and was wondering if there are any disadvantages to going to the smaller lightweight battery. CR Racing claims it saves 9 pounds but I do not want to get stranded if the battery does not have enough juice to turn the sled over. Thoughts? Experiences?

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
it would seem counterproductive to produce a battery that is inefficient in order to shed weight. do small cell phones batteries not last as long as larger phones? do factory starters crank more than mini-starters? what i'm saying is bigger isn't necessarily better... unless you're a woman.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
I've had really good luck with the Interstate YTZ10S battery. It shaves about 7 pounds and has been really reliable so far. Even when it's really cold. A lot of guys are also using the YTZ7S battery from Interstate. It shaves 10 lbs but doesn't have as many cold cranking amps. I went with the 10S for this reason.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I ran the 7S last season... 0 problems. The sled even started at -19F in Cooke one morning. The oil pump wouldn't pick up, but it started - no problem!

I've had really good luck with the Interstate YTZ10S battery. It shaves about 7 pounds and has been really reliable so far. Even when it's really cold. A lot of guys are also using the YTZ7S battery from Interstate. It shaves 10 lbs but doesn't have as many cold cranking amps. I went with the 10S for this reason.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO

7s or 10s should do u fine on the nytro.

although i do battery tend my 7s when its sitting over the week...just to be safe.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
No problems with my YTZ10 but there were a few really cold days (15 to 20 below) that is struggled a little in the morning.

E

evan3000

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer Ab.
I replaced my battery with the ytz10 and had troubles starting when it got really cold. I wouldn't replace it if yours is still in good shape. I replaced mine because mine didn't hold a charge well. 7lbs isn't worth loosing reliability, i
n my eyes anyway......

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I have the YTZ7S. No problems last year. I also have a YUASA battery tender and leave the leads hanging out near the steering post. I plug is back in when I return from a weekend trip. It works great. CR also sells a bracket for the 7S that works really well too.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have had a couple of guys tell me that there are a lot of electronics to run on the T-Nytro and that I should stick with the stock battery but seems like there had been a lot of luck with the 7 and the 10. If I do change from stock....I think it will be the 10 seeing it is only a couple of pounds heavier than the 7.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Price?

YTZ7S

Was quoted 155$ for the little battery there must be a better deal then that out there?

Better price or different battery option?

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I picked up a YUASA 7S for $115 and 10S (for my buddy) for $140 from my dealer. You should be able to get it cheaper than $155. The dealer is just being greedy.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I ended up buying a knock off brand 10S off e-bay for under $30.00 delivered and have been our a few times already with no issues. I carry the stock one in my truck with jumper cables just in case it does not start.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I carry the stock one in my truck with jumper cables just in case it does not start.

i do the same. if i can't jump off the stocker, i have batteries in the trailer, or battery off the truck, etc etc i figure, if its going to fail, its going to fail when the engine is COLD (not enough cold cranking amps)..typically not during a riding session.

also, for mounting the small 7s...I simply used 2 sided velcro on the chassis and battery wherever the battery made solid contact. light and simple.. no need to spend another 150$ or w/e rediculous price the new bracket requires.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
sounds like I will ad the jumpbox to my list of trailer stuff
also have the battery tendery cord to charge, hope I dont have any problems this winter

Premium Features