• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

four corner sieze

O

oredigger

Nov 28, 2007
Troy, MT
My buddies stock 01' summit 800 squeaked the mag side piston again. I know this could be caused by a lot of different things, but am looking for something obvious. Still trying to figure this one out?

Only 150 miles on new top end and re-done cylinders. Died at the end of the day coming out on the road, sled was not cold. Cylinder has a crack between transfer port and exhaust port and piston sqeaked on all four corners.

Think the cylinder crack caused this or something else? He bought the sled a couple years ago and it grenaded the mag side right after he bought it. Then we rebuilt the top-end. Now this.

He runs ski doo oil and the sled did not overheat. Pilot jets were not plugged. Sled does have twin pipes on it.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
My buddies stock 01' summit 800 squeaked the mag side piston again. I know this could be caused by a lot of different things, but am looking for something obvious. Still trying to figure this one out?

Only 150 miles on new top end and re-done cylinders. Died at the end of the day coming out on the road, sled was not cold. Cylinder has a crack between transfer port and exhaust port and piston sqeaked on all four corners.

Think the cylinder crack caused this or something else? He bought the sled a couple years ago and it grenaded the mag side right after he bought it. Then we rebuilt the top-end. Now this.

He runs ski doo oil and the sled did not overheat. Pilot jets were not plugged. Sled does have twin pipes on it.
what pipes and what was his jetting, alot of sled melt down on the way out because of lean mid range, have the crank seals ever been replaced?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

When Cylinders are Re Nicked they surface the top which produces a shorter cylinder and gives a tighter squish,DET. You typically need to use a thicker base gasket than stock. did you check the squish, Did you alter the head?

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
When Cylinders are Re Nicked they surface the top which produces a shorter cylinder and gives a tighter squish,DET. You typically need to use a thicker base gasket than stock. did you check the squish, Did you alter the head?
Did it have OEM piston's or aftermarket piston's

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
The head is stock. Have not checked the squish.

SPI pistons, single ring.

Running 3000-6000' el

I had cpi pipes on mine and rode the same elevation as you with stock pistons and a head I had 520 mains 20 pilots and I also think I ran a .020 shim, now I also did the piston mod on my stock pistons and then I could go to 460 mains

O

oredigger

Nov 28, 2007
Troy, MT

It did have 130 psi compression at 2000' after we rebuilt it the first time.

O

oredigger

Nov 28, 2007
Troy, MT
how mony hole base gasket is in it

The base gasket doesn't have any holes in it, not sure where he got it. Mics out to about .024" which is stock.

Those pipes are crankshop twins. Once we get this figured out, I have a dynaport single that is going back on it.

Last edited:

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
The base gasket doesn't have any holes in it, not sure where he got it. Mics out to about .024" which is stock.

Those pipes are crankshop twins. I wonder if they needed a thicker base gasket? Once we get this figured out, I have a dynaport single that is going back on it.
Id do this on the bench, put it all back together and check squish,Id think you'd want to be no less than .061 , you might have to adjust with different base gasket. or run some race fuel in it, also If you have it on the bench,Id be doing the crank seals also

Premium Features