• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 Summit 800 HO lacks power on bottom

P
Feb 16, 2011
I have a 2003 summit 800 HO that has about 1800 miles on it. always stored inside and this sled has been taken care of meticulously. it runs like a top but lacks some power on the bottom end. If you are cruising and stand on it, it gets up just fine. On a dead stop, it almost has a miss on the bottom. i get beat off the line by just about everything and it kills me boondocking. standing on it from a dead stop wont even turn the track. Ive put newly gapped plugs in it. I have also noticed everytime i pull the plugs that there is a ring of oil around the cylinder holes. I thought that maybe the oil pump was too high and had it adjusted by a mechanic and it still has the excess oil on the cylinder holes. Other sleds that i have owned it has never had oil there like that. Is that normal? Could i be dealing with a plugged jet for the dead spot or could it be the oil issue???? when i pull the plugs they do not look fouled.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Boyesen reeds and 20 pilots will wake that think up big time off the line. The reeds also allow you to safely jet down a size on mains. As for the oil, should use a quart per tank.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I have one of these sleds and it did the same thing awhile back and it turned out that the power exahust valves just need cleaned you can go on the BRP site and look up the manual on how to do it!! I would start with that, also it is also a must with this sled to use a synthetic blend oil if ya aren't already! I alsso could still be over oiling also! may want to trim that just a little.also tells the settings in the manual on line.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
also on that note, this sled doesn't like reg gas, ya gotta use premium and a little octane boost doesn't hurt either along with stabilizer

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Which reeds would you go with for that sled?? and when you say pilot 20's do you mean jets?

You can just buy the Boyesen reed petals to use on the stock valve assembly but it's better to get the whole Boyesen setup since it won't have boot delam issues. Pilot jets go from 17.5 to 20 size. Remove the float bowls to access them.

Cheers,

G

Premium Features