• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Heres something to chew on.

The 900 RMK engine... was actually quite a nice bit of work.

It never got the refinements that it needed...

The 900 engine (866cc) engine was very reliable in a customers chassis that actually had good clutch alignment
from the factory... but poor reliability in those that did not... and you really could not correct it in that chassis.
Which is why some with even an 080 belt in them lasted for 1000 miles on a belt with good factory alignment,
and you couldn't keep a 115 belt in one that was not, even with every aftermarket 'upgrade'. hmmm.

I had a 2007 'factory' 2007 900 Dragon.... 80mm stroke... 935cc... factory built motor with factory cast pistons....
The extra grams weight of the larger pistons smoothed it out... The torque and top end that engine made were phenomenal...

It made some serious power, and it still was not finished.

It needed a better mounting system... and the evolution of further development of the CFi system.... but it was an amazing engine.

With that as a stepping off point, for those that will accept the tradeoffs of a larger stroke...
that engine, with a mono-block cylinder and some other natural evolution, would be a formidable power plant in any sled.

Can't wait to see what comes out of Roseau in a couple of weeks !

Life IS good.

Last edited:
D
Feb 2, 2017
Afton, Wyoming
Heres something to chew on.

The 900 RMK engine... was actually quite a nice bit of work.

It never got the refinements that it needed...

The 900 engine (866cc) engine was very reliable in a customers chassis that actually had good clutch alignment
from the factory... but poor reliability in those that did not... and you really could not correct it in that chassis.
Which is why some with even an 080 belt in them lasted for 1000 miles on a belt with good factory alignment,
and you couldn't keep a 115 belt in one that was not, even with every aftermarket 'upgrade'. hmmm.

I had a 2007 'factory' 2007 900 Dragon.... 80mm stroke... 935cc... factory built motor with factory cast pistons....
The extra grams weight of the larger pistons smoothed it out... The torque and top end that engine made were phenomenal...

It made some serious power, and it still was not finished.

It needed a better mounting system... and the evolution of further development of the CFi system.... but it was an amazing engine.

With that as a stepping off point, for those that will accept the tradeoffs of a larger stroke...
that engine, with a mono-block cylinder and some other natural evolution, would be a formidable power plant in any sled.

Can't wait to see what comes out of Roseau in a couple of weeks !

Life IS good.

Very true, If anyone has been around the Trygstad 872 you will see how just a few grams bigger piston smooths out the engine.

Almost like there is a sweet spot between bore and stroke that just makes everything smooth

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
What the 900 needed was a better R&D, Engineering, Marketing, and Management team. Particularly management. Motor, and chassis, should never had been released until it was closer to ready. Motor had potential. Taking another page from the manual that the crew 50 miles to the south wrote, but without their ability to fix stuff faster. The 'fusion put poo back on its heals in the big bores for seven years. Great example of getting behind in consumer products engineering and trying to catchup with BS, and prayer. The result was stupidity.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
I loved my 05 snochecked fusion 900 the 2006 one was that much better and my 06 switchback 900 was the best for handling and power to ground. Both fusions just spun track way to much with there power even with 192 studs. Ran my switchback 900 till my 15 pro and was happy with it. Can say 2006 ones were way stronger and better running sleds. That being said would buy a new 900 instantly

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I “gave” my 05 900 RMK away, is was such a pile!

4-5 blown belts per ride, broken clutch/ clutch parts every weekend. Guaranteed to be broke down and in the shop at the end of the weekend. Blew the crank stub off. Vibrated like a 100lb jackhammer.

My experience was not a unique one, thus the reason Polaris only built it for 2 model years.

I’d think and hope the new 850 ish Polaris did not repeat their last 850 ish (AKA 900 RMK)mistake.

If the new one proves to be a runner I’d think of buying one.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lots of companies have built 860 versions og the current mill with good results.
So a 800+ engine should be within reach if they can produce some better engine mounts..

That being said, I don't feel that my 16 Axys is missing much power. Better mounts, Fox shocks and a front bumper that deflects better for the panels and I'm good!

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

T
Nov 11, 2008
I want to see ZERO changes for 2019 so that the dealers have to beg and plead for Polaris to offer huge incentives and discounts to rid themselves of any of the current 2018 inventory.

That way I can hopefully still make out with a decent dollar on my '16 and get another new sled taking me into 2020/2021 :)

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I have a 2013 900 Pro that runs like a mad dog. Of course Carl’s Cycle build it. They have been doing them for years. Don’t know why Polaris can’t do it?

AD2318F1-B95E-4E75-A2E6-C1634AA0E9B6.jpg

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I want to see ZERO changes for 2019 so that the dealers have to beg and plead for Polaris to offer huge incentives and discounts to rid themselves of any of the current 2018 inventory.

That way I can hopefully still make out with a decent dollar on my '16 and get another new sled taking me into 2020/2021 :)

There are a bunch of dealers selling 2018's right now for about 10K OTD. Kick in the sack for anyone who snowchecked, but if you want a new sled right now is the time to buy one.

Premium Features