• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

question

J
Dec 1, 2007
Blackfalds,AB
i bought the sled used off a guy and he had a mechanic freshen up the top end because it sat for almost 2 years. So i took it to my local dealership and had them do up a premium maintenance on the sled because of it sitting for two years.
picked it up went riding with the wifes sister and her family. My wife got about 2 miles from the trailer and the motor seized up so right away i looked at the plugs and they were bone dry??? It looked like to me it got no oil what so ever.
So after the weekend went back to the dealership told them what happened they said bring it in we will take alook at it. So they told me it was cold seized scored all four corners and fawked the cylinder PTO side i think they said.
So my question is if it cold seized would the plugs still not have some oil on them and if you adjust the oil pump you still have to prime it correct?

In all my years of riding i never had a cold seize before. The sled a 2001 800 summit. the other seven sled nothing and we all let them warm up for a good five minutes and the temp was only -C out.

oh i forgot the oil tank has a cracked bottom but i filled it up before we left

so what do you ya think.

sorry for it being so lengthy

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
i bought the sled used off a guy and he had a mechanic freshen up the top end because it sat for almost 2 years. So i took it to my local dealership and had them do up a premium maintenance on the sled because of it sitting for two years.
picked it up went riding with the wifes sister and her family. My wife got about 2 miles from the trailer and the motor seized up so right away i looked at the plugs and they were bone dry??? It looked like to me it got no oil what so ever.
So after the weekend went back to the dealership told them what happened they said bring it in we will take alook at it. So they told me it was cold seized scored all four corners and fawked the cylinder PTO side i think they said.
So my question is if it cold seized would the plugs still not have some oil on them and if you adjust the oil pump you still have to prime it correct?

In all my years of riding i never had a cold seize before. The sled a 2001 800 summit. the other seven sled nothing and we all let them warm up for a good five minutes and the temp was only -C out.

oh i forgot the oil tank has a cracked bottom but i filled it up before we left

so what do you ya think.

sorry for it being so lengthy[/QUOTE

Did anyone put any oil in the gas? What did they do to freshen up the top end(new pistons )?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
You probably had an air lock in the oil pump so it wasn't pumping oil. Did the oil tank drain completely dry before you refilled it? Did anyone bleed the oil pump that you know of? I doubt the dealer would bleed it on just a maintenance check unless you specifically asked them to do it. With no oil at all it may look like a cold seizure even if you warmed it up. When you rebuild it add some oil to the first tank of gas to make sure the oil pump is working. And fix or replace the oil tank too.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Why did it need the rebuild the first time? Sitting for 2 years shouldn't necessitate a rebuild. Perhaps what ever caused the first failure was not found/fixed??? speculation-

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Why did it need the rebuild the first time? Sitting for 2 years shouldn't necessitate a rebuild. Perhaps what ever caused the first failure was not found/fixed??? speculation-

x2, never heard of anyone rebuilding a motor because it sat for 2 years, probably blew up and sat for 2 years before he fixed it. i would say air in oil line or faulty oil pump\kinked line. oil injection sucks. wonder how many engines blow every year because of this absolutley unnecessary system...

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
i added oil in the gas and ran premium fuel. do you not have to prime the pump when you readjust it? The jug was plume full of oil before we left.

On a readjustment only of the pump you do not have to prime it. However if the tank had been drained dry at some time because of the crack it would have had to be bled in order to get the air out of the pump. Are you trying to go after the dealer on this or what?
If you added oil to the gas in the proper ratio of 50:1 it shouldn't matter if the oil pump was working or not. It had to be something else.

J
Dec 1, 2007
Blackfalds,AB
On a readjustment only of the pump you do not have to prime it. However if the tank had been drained dry at some time because of the crack it would have had to be bled in order to get the air out of the pump. Are you trying to go after the dealer on this or what?
If you added oil to the gas in the proper ratio of 50:1 it shouldn't matter if the oil pump was working or not. It had to be something else.

no they said it was cooled seized. they were not cast pistons but forged pistons and i guess letting the machine warm up for a good five minutes at -5 for a temp was not long enough. it should have been a good 10-15 minutes they say. there was no oil on the plug so to me it looked like it was getting not enough oil. i put in about half a liter or so in with the gas just because they put new pistons in (the guy i bought the sled from).you would think that if they set up the pump they should have noticed an air bubble because there mechanic even took it for a rip a couple of times they said.

before i took it to then the plugs were just starting to get some nice color on them. thats why i asked them if they primed the pump because the plug was dry when i checked it. i have always used OEM pistons my self. no use crying over spilled milk. i got new pistons and one new jug coming.

Premium Features