• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hey Gus Will This Work

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
EbayTurbo1.jpg

EbayTurbo2.jpg

The compresser wheel turned out to be bigger then listed

IMG_1201.jpg

G
Apr 23, 2008
you try it and let us all know !!!

waddapeecof****.. u do get what you pay for,,

I bet it burns 30:jaw:%more fuel because its flowing more air ?? or is it creating more turbine side heat so you need the fuel to quell det.. YUP.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
whats the turbo for? 2 stroke? 4?, i noticed it says its a wet float bearing, unless your pumping like 40PSI oil pressure to it... it wont work

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Gus your right you do get what you pay for, but I did do some work to this turbo spent time machining the interior scroll section on the hot side. I just wanted to try something different. Built 2 kits one with a garrett 2860 and one with the e-bay turbo. Just got them going and finalizing the tuning. The e-bay turbo did surprise me on how it works, it comes into boost at 4500 but does it ever spool slow.

IMG_1264.jpg

G
Apr 23, 2008
good to hear your still thinking outside the box Bro. If it were a 30 hotside you would be doing a bit better too.

Hows the poo thing going ? I get more and more interested in building one every day. The e tech turbo is OK but very very limited to pushing it up to my level of play. Raced a brand x etech turbo at 7 psi and towed it with ez with the BD etech at same 7 psi. 15 ish grams more in the garrett than the x too.

If I were to go poo, what model and what yrs r beter than others..? Eli had a really good running Dragon I think last yr ?

Be cool Bro

Gus

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
The 2860 sled no doubt has better aerodynamics inside the turbo, it builds boost lightning fast as soon as it gets spooled up. The 82mm pulls way better out of the gate only because it does not violently bust the track loose like the garrett. Pound for pound I think the 82mm is going to have the edge, it has a water to air system, I needed a edge over my buddies sled.

I love Polaris pro platform, as far as cranking up the boost is not going to set any records, that motors foot pint is just to small and light. The 2011, 2012 would be my choice. Polaris is tiring to keep emission down so that don't want to feed the thing much oil, doing so the piston are loose .006 on a cast piston. Boosting it helps the logevety of this motor (7 psi not 17) I have seen 2010s that were .012

There are a few guys building long rod motors you might look into that.

I do not know what your going to do, and I don’t know were you ride were you use the kind of boost you do, it's puzzlig to me :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The 2860 sled no doubt has better aerodynamics inside the turbo, it builds boost lightning fast as soon as it gets spooled up. The 82mm pulls way better out of the gate only because it does not violently bust the track loose like the garrett. Pound for pound I think the 82mm is going to have the edge, it has a water to air system, I needed a edge over my buddies sled.

I love Polaris pro platform, as far as cranking up the boost is not going to set any records, that motors foot pint is just to small and light. The 2011, 2012 would be my choice. Polaris is tiring to keep emission down so that don't want to feed the thing much oil, doing so the piston are loose .006 on a cast piston. Boosting it helps the logevety of this motor (7 psi not 17) I have seen 2010s that were .012

There are a few guys building long rod motors you might look into that.

I do not know what your going to do, and I don’t know were you ride were you use the kind of boost you do, it's puzzlig to me :face-icon-small-win

the biggest factor i think on why its slower spooling is the bearing, the ball bearing garrett is very friction less, hell mine will spin down for like 30-45 seconds after shutting off AT IDLE :face-icon-small-sho

but a wet float bearing floats on oil with high oil pressure, so it takes more exhaust power to drive them, and if you especially dont have the high oil pressure for it to float on oil, like its rubbing on its bearing surface, which i believe is brass?, that will create alot more friction,

so its in and running, which is great.... but i'd stick my hand down to the shaft and feel for play every now and then and keep a eye on its wear, you may just get away with it, perhaps your pump does push enough oil/ pressure, but keep a eye on er!

Chinese knockoffs arent all bad, i put a chinese knockoff cummins HX40W-II turbo in my truck, which had a ****ty old small turbo, and its made a world of difference, so far i think i've put about 7k km's on the turbo and its still strong, its a upgrade for my truck that everybody does, i went from 12 pounds boost to 24, turbos made for 40, so its not like im pushing it by any means ;)

also my trucks cummins turbo being the wet float.... aka journal bearing, even after getting that sucker warmed up good, and its being provided its 40 PSI pressure or what ever...., i can hear it spinning down for about 5-10 seconds after truck shuts off, so certainly more friction for sures as to the ball bearing

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I apologize for posting some POS poo riding in this area but I just wanted to show that this joke of a turbo works. So the black sled is running a 2860 Garrett and the white one is the 82mm turbo with a water to air setup. Boost comes online at 4800 with the 82mm, I guess it kind of works.

http://youtu.be/h92tO8FsYJ4

I am going to be trying a few different real turbos in the next few weeks. No Garretts, it pisses me off that garrett charges what they do for there turbos. They got a good portion of the power sport industry holding there ankles. Sorry but I do not think I will ever buy another Garrett.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Wow... You get what you pay for. Do I wish or think the garrets could be cheaper? sure. If you look around or have a good hookup on turbos definatly helps. But a really good turbo is going to cost a lot more money then a cheap Chinese turbo. Huge difference in research and development, design, machining quality, clearances, balancing, and materials used.
More power too you for trying something different. I am sure if you bought, tested, and tried several different manufacturers of the cheap turbos you could find one that is decent and a lot cheaper then a high dollar turbo. I don't like putting un proven parts on my stuff, don't want the risk of something failing, or less performance. I know of a guy that sells high dollar turbo's and builds some pretty badass turbo systems. He buys a certain Chinese turbo, re machines it, and puts a garret ball bearing center section in it. when he is done it is a good turbo, but it took him a lot of R&D to save a few $$$ on his turbo builds.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Along those lines, I dont believe they have any options for gearing with the belt drive on the 13's yet either. I would go with a 12.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Wow... You get what you pay for. Do I wish or think the garrets could be cheaper? sure. If you look around or have a good hookup on turbos definatly helps. But a really good turbo is going to cost a lot more money then a cheap Chinese turbo. Huge difference in research and development, design, machining quality, clearances, balancing, and materials used.
More power too you for trying something different. I am sure if you bought, tested, and tried several different manufacturers of the cheap turbos you could find one that is decent and a lot cheaper then a high dollar turbo. I don't like putting un proven parts on my stuff, don't want the risk of something failing, or less performance. I know of a guy that sells high dollar turbo's and builds some pretty badass turbo systems. He buys a certain Chinese turbo, re machines it, and puts a garret ball bearing center section in it. when he is done it is a good turbo, but it took him a lot of R&D to save a few $$$ on his turbo builds.

That’s really cool in my books that your friend spent the time and effort to come up with a turbo.

Actually I feel the 82mm turbo works pretty good for what it is, watch the video. It does not spool as fast as the garrett but it pulls a little higher rpm than the Garrett and James was running 10 psi and the 82mm is at 7. The clutching is the same unless he has a different helix. Garrett spent there R&D money several years ago on the 2860. They save money not building turbos in the USA and it costs them less than 250.00 to stock a 2871. You do get what you pay for but sometime you pay to much, I just do not like a big corporation scalping the consumers.

G
Apr 23, 2008
sure does look and sound like you guys are having fun !!

makes me feel better bout this whole POLARIS passion thing I have been developing,,,lol

with the advent of all the overseas manufacturing the cheap supply chain is growing and somewaht ok.

the billet comp wheels bought so cheap on ebay from china do NOT even flow the same as a stock cast garrett.. please dont confuse cheap manufacturing with outright lies.

Those who went to haydays this past summer saw just what those wheels were..9 exploded comp wheels on 3 sleds in 2 days of racing.

Just because its billet doesnt insure you the tooling and toolpaths ( tool speed ) were correct.

be cool and keep on trying new stuff man.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
Has anyone tried Mitsu turbo's? Some guys in the turner car scene swear by the 16G or 20G They say it's a really well designed journal bearing turbo, some say better than Garrett. I've read of 4 stroke sleds having the oil line blow off and guys doing a few pulls before noticing and the turbo was fine. I see them come up used for as cheap as any ebay turbo's and they seem cheap & easy to rebuild. I'm thinking of trying one on a single piped triple, from what I've read, they don't need a ton of oil either.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Has anyone tried Mitsu turbo's?

They are like mopeds....

I've read of 4 stroke sleds having the oil line blow off and guys doing a few pulls before noticing and the turbo was fine.

I have rode mine 5-6 miles back to the trailer before. No issues. Not that I was roddin it the whole way back.

I see them come up used for as cheap as any ebay turbo's and they seem cheap & easy to rebuild.

There is Evo knock offs too, be careful. Most often they can be rebuilt in the trailer.

They say it's a really well designed journal bearing turbo, some say better than Garrett.

That one will be tough to convince this crowd. My sled engages at 3800 or so and I have boost at that point. By the time I hit 7000 or so, I have 10lbs(if thats what I am running for the day). I have yet to see a Garett do that.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
There is Evo knock offs too, be careful. Most often they can be rebuilt in the trailer.
That one will be tough to convince this crowd. My sled engages at 3800 or so and I have boost at that point. By the time I hit 7000 or so, I have 10lbs(if thats what I am running for the day). I have yet to see a Garett do that.[/QUOTE]

I guess I didn't really word that right, but I've seen used, genuine Evo III turbo's come up used for about the same price as an ebay knock off, since rebuilding isn't a big deal, you could have a good turbo for the same price as the ebay stuff.
I'm surprised how little oil pressure & flow they require too, seems like they would be a good choice for a 2 stroke if your running a journal bearing setup. I guess the BB is still the most suitable though.
Have you heard of these comp. oilless turbo's? their more than a Garrett, but they don't need an oiling system at all, like an aerocharger.

http://www.compturbo.com/spotlights/oilless

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
They are like mopeds....

That one will be tough to convince this crowd. My sled engages at 3800 or so and I have boost at that point. By the time I hit 7000 or so, I have 10lbs(if thats what I am running for the day). I have yet to see a Garett do that.

Can you get many different hot side housings sizes for the 16G?

Last edited:
Premium Features