• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 RT 1000 issues

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Hey gang... Back in October I had the software updates done and a preseason check. The tech said everything looked good.

Ever since then, it has become hard to start.... When cold, like 10-15 pulls, then it fires... and dies..... fires and dies..... and eventually it will stay idleing. Now, once I am up on the hill it runs good.... But the RPM's vary depending on the day. Today it never went above 7500 and yet the other day I saw 8200ish on the tach all day long when pegged............ But the snow was so friggin deep today, it was pegged for most of it so I was thinking that was the issue.

Stopped to help a buddy dig out and the big b*tch would not start.. Like after 20 pulls, I gave up and decided to change the plugs.... It worked! But my RPM's never hit that magic 8200 I was seeing earlier in the season and last time we rode. Plugs were chocolate color and dry.
Even on the groomers heading back to the truck, 7200r's was the best I could do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am exhausted from pulling on it just to load it on the trailer and I think it is not running to it's potential. The sled is stock other than venting on the hood and a HPS can...

Thanks!

FireCaptain

F
Dec 19, 2007
cedar city, ut
how many miles on it? has the clutch been serviced recently? sounds like the tech may need to make sure the new programming was correct. i own one and am interested to see what fixes it. fuel pump? good luck with it, its a good sled. from my limited experience.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
These symptoms can be caused by many things:

Fuses, sticky relays, bad battery or loose connections--Bad batterys seem to be the common problem this year!!

E-Raves out of adjustment, cables freyed or stretched, gummed-up valves very common

Low pressure fuel pump (sits under engine) This fuel pump is designed to pump fuel back into the hi-pressure pump which is in the tank when fuel level goes below 4 gallons. Stupid system imo. If you don't have means to test fuel pressure try fueling gas all the way to the cap and ride. If runs better than this is the culprit. These fuel pumps are available at Napa part# 610-1050. You can also use 610-1052 ( I use this one, local Napa parts guy says he warranties way to many of the 1050's, they're a universal fuel pump that hot-rodders use, most have switched over.) The other thing to doo when you replace this pump, is to relocate it next to the battery on the floor board for ease of future replacement.

If it was my sled, I'd replace the battery and fuel pump just to insure more reliability if you ride back country. They're unbelievably common. Hope this helps.

W
Nov 26, 2007
I had to change my secondary spring to the Strongest spring Team makes, cant remember the color.

Do you have a Boondocker Box for it???

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
No boondocker box. I am going to replace the battery and check fuses today. The battery issue makes sense as I distinctly remember yesterday that when I would push the start button to activate the fuel pump, it only would cycle for like a second and in the past it would go 2-3 seconds. Hopefully a new battery will take care of the starting issue.

S
Nov 30, 2007
No boondocker box. I am going to replace the battery and check fuses today. The battery issue makes sense as I distinctly remember yesterday that when I would push the start button to activate the fuel pump, it only would cycle for like a second and in the past it would go 2-3 seconds. Hopefully a new battery will take care of the starting issue.

Mine was harder to start when battery gone bad and when plugging extras in as gps and using hand/thumbwarmer at the same time the e-raves would not open (like new sled when changing that crappy original batt out).
Sounds like that but as said earlier it could be fuelpump too.
Does'nt the batterysymbol flashing?

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
No the battery light never came on.... That I know of.... Bought a new battery today and will get it in tomorrow. The parts dept guy shot me a dirty look when he asked if I had a battery charger as he put the new batt up on the counter..............; I said "for 90 bucks, maybe it should be charged by you"......

Last edited:
A
Nov 30, 2007
Hey gang... Back in October I had the software updates done and a preseason check. The tech said everything looked good.

Ever since then, it has become hard to start.... When cold, like 10-15 pulls, then it fires... and dies..... fires and dies..... and eventually it will stay idleing. Now, once I am up on the hill it runs good.... But the RPM's vary depending on the day. Today it never went above 7500 and yet the other day I saw 8200ish on the tach all day long when pegged............ But the snow was so friggin deep today, it was pegged for most of it so I was thinking that was the issue.

Stopped to help a buddy dig out and the big b*tch would not start.. Like after 20 pulls, I gave up and decided to change the plugs.... It worked! But my RPM's never hit that magic 8200 I was seeing earlier in the season and last time we rode. Plugs were chocolate color and dry.
Even on the groomers heading back to the truck, 7200r's was the best I could do.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I am exhausted from pulling on it just to load it on the trailer and I think it is not running to it's potential. The sled is stock other than venting on the hood and a HPS can...

Thanks!

FireCaptain
What map do you have in your sled?

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Allen: It is the 2007 mid elevation program update.

Also, spoke to the tech again yesterday.... He also agreed to start with the battery and go from there. I am riding again tomorrow so hopefully with new plugs and a battery and the fuse check I will be running strong again.

FireCaptain

P
Nov 28, 2007
I had the fuse(beside the battery) fall out and the sled was very hard to start and the powervales would not open properly.

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
OMG! The parts guy gave the wrong new battery.... Cant get back there to exchange it till morning and there is like 4feet of new snow in the last 3 days.......!!!! Just going to be a little later getting up there than I wanted.

BUT>>....... I did hook a charger to the old battery and she fired on the first pull.... I am now convinced that this is most difinately the problem....

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

FireCaptain

A
Nov 30, 2007
OMG! The parts guy gave the wrong new battery.... Cant get back there to exchange it till morning and there is like 4feet of new snow in the last 3 days.......!!!! Just going to be a little later getting up there than I wanted.

BUT>>....... I did hook a charger to the old battery and she fired on the first pull.... I am now convinced that this is most difinately the problem....

FireCaptain

FireCaptain: Just a note, I had arcing of the battery ground strap where it attaches to the frame...the bolt was tight, we were riding at night and I saw arcing around the outside edge of ground strap where it attaches to the frame...I removed the strap and cleaned oxidation off of the back side of the strap...just a little info, hope this helps...Allen.

S
Nov 30, 2007

FireCaptain

If he gave you a too large battery, just cut your battery box up and get it in there, can't let a small thing like this stop you from hitting the powder:D

F
Dec 19, 2007
Bend, Oregon
So True! Shoulda just done that. I arrived at the parts dept door at 8:53am... All the guys were standing behind the counter B.S.'ing. I knocked on the door.... They ignored me. God-D*mn that made me mad! At exactly 9:00, they opened the doors and I got my battery.

I found it amazing how much better my sled ran with a good batter. Fired on the first pull and I was hittin' 8500r's all day when I needed.

Later dude's!

FireCaptain

Premium Features