• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005-2007 M7 known issues

A
Nov 13, 2009
Clarkston
i had an 05 m7 and had no problems what so ever. my buddy had the same sled but a 162 and had to replace his diamond drive. Also the attack 20 track i had on mine was a hunk of S**T. htey are known for it though. thats really all i have seen wrong with these sleds. hoped this helped

S
Sep 16, 2010
Rock solid sleds. Those 700 motors rip. They are a bit rough on the trail (but who really cares about that anyway!). Awesome in the mountains.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Not really a m7 specific issue; more of a cat issue...but check the primary for bad rollers/weights. They like to do things like flatspot at around 2000-3000 miles.

If its running rough the rear taillight wire was known to rub and cause funny problems. Other than that I can't really think of anything. I bought my 05 m7 at 2065 miles, its now at 3152 and really hasn't had any issues besides what I mentioned. Good Luck!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
speedometers went wacky sometimes on 05s.censor.i would buy one again.fun sleds.the squirlly a20 went good in the pow

73GOLIATH

Jan 3, 2008
on the 05 m7 they did not always put a nut on the ground ( under the coolant tank ) and the a20 was bad news

S
Mar 17, 2009
m7

keep the oil up in the diamond drive...cousins dd pooched but girlfriends is good so far...no other problems--153 powerclaw track works well too.

B
Jan 6, 2008
MN
Good Luck

I purchased a 2006 M7 LE 153" last spring and spent a few weeks going through it. Once I got it home I found cracks in the primary clutch towers, and cracks in the rails under the rubber bumpers. And a failing motor mount on the can side.

Purchased an uncailibrated clutch from www.rvsports.com in Theif River Falls. Installed Iceage rails and used a little heat to swap the motor mount.

Then I did all the normal maintenance, plus replaced the driveshaft bearings. I am now hoping for lots of troublefree riding. And I am happy with the sled I have and the dollars I have invested.

One easy check on these sleds is to pop the pipe off to get a look at the exhaust side of the pistons. At the sametime do a compression check. In my case I told the seller I would not buy the sled unless I was allowed to perform a compression check. Both cylinders had good compression/equal compression.

Bgs

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
Don’t know where or how you ride but I ride the Montana hills 5000 to 9000 ft. Bought 2005 M7 141 new in 04. Great sled, good power, that 700 talks. A20 track is crap unless you only ride deep powder where it shines. Quickly replaced track with Challenger extreme 2.5 (144) which was a diggin SOB. Rough rider on bumps, do a re-valve on the rear shock, makes a world of difference. Wore out track last year so put 141 PowerClaw on it. Love the powerclaw on my 09 M8 so put one on for wife now riding the M7. Also did top end at 5000+ miles, still ran great but figured it would be good insurance and good for another 5000.
Change DD oil annually and clean power valves. Ice scratchers good idea if you ride much hard packed trails or icey.
Good luck and enjoy.
Fuzz

I have an 05 M7 153 and to date the only problem I've had was a cracked wye pipe after 3k miles. Like the sled so much I found a new left over 06 M7 162 LE at Arctic Cat in MN and purchased it over the new 800 and 1k sleds. Love the way it handles in the deep, not made for trail riding.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I had an 06 M7 and it was an awesome sled.

Most problems have been mentioned.

My rails cracked and don't really jump at all. Although I pound through the rough trails and I had the KMOD skid so you actually could go fast through the bumps. The stock trail ride is downright awful

The primaries are known to wear out.

The diamond drives are not the best but maintenance definitely helps. My buddy put 2 new ones in his in about 7000 miles.

My buddies was very reliable in that 7000 miles. Other then the diamond drives, no problems if I remember right. He did tow a lot of REVs out with that thing:)

J
Jan 15, 2010
I had an 06 M7 and it was an awesome sled.

Most problems have been mentioned.

My rails cracked and don't really jump at all. Although I pound through the rough trails and I had the KMOD skid so you actually could go fast through the bumps. The stock trail ride is downright awful

The primaries are known to wear out.

The diamond drives are not the best but maintenance definitely helps. My buddy put 2 new ones in his in about 7000 miles.

My buddies was very reliable in that 7000 miles. Other then the diamond drives, no problems if I remember right. He did tow a lot of REVs out with that thing:)

I have to agree, in the 6500 miles I put on my M7 I also found it to be very effective for towing REVs out...

D

DusterB

Nov 26, 2007
B-Town MT
low end bog

Know one's mentioned the mysterious low end bog that was notorius on some M7's. Some solved it with clutching, some with re-routing the clear tube away from the exhaust. Others with a fuel pressure regulator or with a boony box. Great thing IMO with the M7 is that they are cheep and alot of great mods have been provin reliable for her.

Premium Features