• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smaller Turbo Kit

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dave .
I have no problem helping a turbo owner, sort out the issues that arise.

I DO feel I would be doing ALL turbo shops a HUGE disservice if I list part by part the proper and improper way to (roll your own ) turbo.

Lets not be the folks who get the paying advertisers too bad mouth us, as lets face it.... they are ALL producing very competitivly priced systems with the appropriate methods and tools.

I will help anyone with a problem, Just not going to help cut the throats of the shops that BROUGHT this( 2 stroke turbo's) back into swing for all the western riders to enjoy.

We all need to understand that there is NO 2000$ profit margin , not even 1000$..Its a labor of passion and commitment to those who believe in YOUR particular system and its operation..

Pointing out wrong choices in a parts list, poor selections in hardware and so forth ,,, thats the SWEAT equity that Dave, Bryce, Shane,Brad, and ALL others have invested, too tell the people who want to short cut this paying for the knowledge is akin to handing out diplomas with no education.

Humility comes from learning from our errors in the real world.

i know I'm not always right,, but I try and when I fail I have none to blame but myself.

back to the grinding room, got 995's to get done !!! ya baaaaabaaaay:D

Gus
Gus

Do you really think they don't make $1000. I don't.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Maybe silber will make a skidoo kit someday. His polaris and cat kits sell $3200-$3500,seem to be all quality parts to.

www.silberturbos.com

This kit comes complete with a Garrett Ballbearing Turbocharger, Fuel Controller, Airbox, Charge tube, Oil tank and pump, Exhaust pipe, Boost gauge, Boost controller, Airfilter, all clamps,hoses, fittings. They come with 3" downpipe for maximum flow and performance, and 2.25 short charge tube for minimun lag. This kit will run from 7 - 18+ psi boost levels, We also offer a low psi wastegate for the low altitude guys that want to run pump gas. You can run straight 91+ octane at 6000+ft, which will put you at 200hp.

Wow, $3200.....too bad I own a Rev!

S

studsrsx

Jan 2, 2008
Well I built my own kit on my 08. My costs are...

Used 53 hiper I had from before paid 1600 at the time
Fuel pump, Fpr 350 ish
Fittings,lines 300
Powerjets 60
Charge tube, and downpipe 250
Plenum, pain in the a*** made a couple times 100
Guages 02 and egt 800
Fuel presure, boost guage 200
Other materials, misc 500
Clutching 200

Total and this is an approx. 4300 not including my labour
and I had an older turbo

Tons of time and R and D and still not 100% I don't even know what I would factor in.
In no way would I ever sell my setup without more time and r and d. With that said I don't think any of the guys selling kits are wrong in asking the prices they are. This is my hobby and I enjoy the challenge of building my own.

T
Jun 17, 2008
one may be able to get the parts price into a resonable sounding price range when it comes to putting one together , that i assure you is only the price of admission .
the building of the kit has the next price tag being that of the educatiion you will recieve , this has to remain priceless inorder to keep some marriages healthy.
looking at it as your hobby [ sledding ]allows what ever you spend on your hobby to be ok .

thumbs up , trying stuff we havent done before is just part of being guys.

marketing stuff for guys to play with in the sled enviorment in the mts, just as bold as the guy trying to piece together his first hp build .
snow showing on the mtn tops now here . soon the play ground will be open.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Im all for trying to save a buck, thats what my kit is all about in my conversion setup, i think im in my sled like $7k and it should be a pretty healthy runner when all is said ain done.

when i first started, i had a cost list like yours, almost identical, same things, and some extra $$ to account for random little things. I can honestly say i ahve at LEAST $4000 into my swap/turbo project, and it was almost ALL done by me, if i was paying myself $1 an hour to work on it, i would be in probably over 10,000... i spent a LOT of time just sitting and wondering. its the stuff like hose clamps, zip ties that will kill you, it BLEW MY MIND how much i could spend on things like that.

great example would be my oil pump, initial cost $150, thats how it got figured in, after wiring, mounting and having a wire break and redo it, the cost is about $200, and this happens with EVERY single thing, turbo flanges, gaskets, nuts and bolts.

I swore everyone was wrong, i started building, and here I am, broke as a fool and not done yet! oh well, good luck on the endevor, i bet you could make $3000 pretty easily if you can do most of the work yourself. the 4 stroke definately had some extra $$ for me.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
How many times do you have to burndown your sled because you thought you knew what you were doing before it pays for the cost of these turbo kits. Experience and knowledge is priceless.

Even if they are making a grand on the kits, money well spent. These guys have it figured out and most have proven that.

Have any of the guys bad mouthing the turbo kits seen them in person and seen them run?

I for one am building my own because I like the challenge, it will most likely cost me more in the end but I don't care.

ReTodd, Guessing you will be into your setup closer to $3000 when you are done, then there will be things you don't like and wish you did different probably end up spending another grand on that stuff. Thats how it usually works.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out. Theres lots of us out there doing the same thing, for differing reasons.

C
Dec 3, 2007
W.L., B.C.
I only keep checking this thread in hopes of seeing you make this work. I'm not really interested in paying $5000(after all is said and done) to turbo my sled. $2500 maybe, and under $2k sounds even better.

C
Dec 16, 2007
all the stuff on ebay the chinese knock offs wont even make it a 100 yards tried it it dont work. u pay for what u get, if u want to go cheap there is always something that u want to change or do something different. when u start changing u end up spending more than just buying a kit and be done just my 2 cents

H

High Roller

Exactly! You get what you pay for. A big bore is more than 2gs, for 20hp. Turbo kit is well worth the money to add 100hp+++++++++

all the stuff on ebay the chinese knock offs wont even make it a 100 yards tried it it dont work. u pay for what u get, if u want to go cheap there is always something that u want to change or do something different. when u start changing u end up spending more than just buying a kit and be done just my 2 cents

Hotboat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT.
Well, this thread has gotten totally out of hand. The whole point of the thread was not to say that kit manu. should buy the cheapest stuff or that they are ripping anyone off, but just that they could offer lower end kits (no oil pump, use stock exhaust, no intercooler, no boost controler, etc). Most kits have full custom pipes and clutch kits, fuel controlers etc which of course add to the price. I wasn't intending on bashing those that sell kits. Just trying to point out that their may be a market for a basic kit that can only put out 180-200hp and is easy to install rather than the full monte.

Wouldn't it be cool if their was a turbo that was light weight (like garret Gt12 or 15), was oiless, put out a maximum 6 or 7lbs, and could be spring mounted to your stock pipe, and was $2800-$3000!! You wouldn't even need a waste gate or boost controler. Just jet for max boost and go.
Me Likey:yo:..........I think your on to something.......that would be the only kit me and the guys i ride with would be interested in.....give me a 450 pound XP and 180hp at elevation on pump gas for three beans and I'm there.....good luck

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I ended up just buying one from Jake and DW Halverson cause they were such a good deal and all the r&d was already done;) Just kidding.

Actually, I am collecting stuff as my warranty is still good till December so I am slowly getting stuff together for next season.

Premium Features