• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SB assault vs RMK assault

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I've run a 2" on the trail for years. They're fine as long as you use common sense and keep them cool. I always have scratchers down on the trail and I'm not the one to go burning across the lake at WOT either... I ran the original Assault Comp track last year around the trails in WI, MI, and MN. Loved it. Its in great condition and I would love to throw it on the '11 SB Assault I have coming... Just don't know if I want to change drivers or not. I'll probably just end up buying a 2" challenger 144 to throw on it. Either way I agree with you that they put the cobra track on it probably because it will work best with the majority of SB Assault buyers... I just wish they gave more track options during snowcheck.

I completely agree on the track option thing. I think its also that polaris is trying to cover their a$$. Not everyone uses common sense and they would have quite a few complaints from the bar to bar runners ripping lugs off their tracks the first few hundred miles. A 2" track will work its just not recommended for trail riding. But if ur smart u wont have a problem at all.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
That is somewhat true, however, for the first 3 months around here, you are not going to see a sb assualt ontop of any of the mountains unless it is a groomed trail...

agreed. no doubt there are definate pros and cons to each. Its just a balancing act of what you like to do and what your sled has to hold up to... and if you setup your sled right it can do whatever. If they had a 146 Assault RMK again, I would have bought that instead of the SB Assault...

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Gets me thinking... I cant figure out why Polaris chose a track that favors trail riding so much????

I'm not a big fan of the Cobra 1.32" paddle that comes stock on the SB-Assault in the short paddle for the mountains.

As a crossover track to meet your needs...IMO...Sell the stocker for around $400-450 if you remove it when brand new.... (Sell it on one of the forums that favors trail riding more)

I think that a Camoplast Challenger 144x15x2"-#9875 would be better fitted to your uses.

If you wanted to find a good price... A Ski Doo Summit thru 2003 ran the Challenger 144x15x2" that came stock on those sleds would be great and has the same size, 2.52" pitch, drivers (no need to change drivers)... You should be able to find a good deal on one of those.

Stock track on the SB-Assault...Cobra 144x15x1.32" with 2.54" pitch.
Cobra4.jpg

The Camoplast Challenger 144"x15"x2" with 2.52" pitch (you keep the same drivers)
challenger.jpg

So wait a minute... the track off the new assault switchback has 2.54" drivers? I cant buy the track from tdblakes to fit my 2.52" driver sled. This may be a problem! Help me out here MH or anyone for that matter!

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
So wait a minute... the track off the new assault switchback has 2.54" drivers? I cant buy the track from tdblakes to fit my 2.52" driver sled. This may be a problem! Help me out here MH or anyone for that matter!

thats gotta be a typo... it better not have a 2.54! do they even make those? Series 4 2" track used in the 2010 rmks has part number 5413073 which is the same track they offered for the SB Assault. They would be stupid if they changed its pitch for that one model. The 2011 144 600 RMK uses the same PN track, so I'm thinking the SB Assault is still the 2.52 driver. The driver pictured for the 2011 Pro is an 8 tooth anti-ratchet driver setup just like the '09 and '10. It doesnt say the pitch and the PN is different because its a different drive shaft. I'd be willing to bet its still the 2.86. We should be good to go yet!

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Im hoping the track u have is a 2.52 so it fits my sled. i did some looking and i dont see any 2.54 pitch made. i think it is a typo. the assault used to have the 2.86 pitch rite? i thought they were changing it this year to a 2.52 cuz of the cobra track? maybe im wrong. hope someone that knows will chime in here!

Z
Sep 18, 2008
NW IA
Thats good to hear. I ordered the Assault RMK today. I really wanted to try that rear skid and I rarely ever ride a groomed trail. If I dont like it I'll just buy something different next year:face-icon-small-win
Im second guessing myself now. Theres a spring order assault switchback with the 2" track available. I can never make up my mind:face-icon-small-con

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
You have to make this a little clearer for me. Does the PRO RMK Assault have the same pitch driver as the 2.52 PRO Switch Back Assault?

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Thank you MH, it looks like the suspension is mounted in different holes on the front tunnel, from the looks of the photos.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The handlebars are the same on both...Pro-taper with hooks.

The Assault now includes a mountain-strap... the SB does not

The comparison photo above also shows the more vertical steering post angle of the Assault/RMK's compared to the SB/RUSH chassis.

attachment.php

Swbk_800_Assault_SC_11_Overhead.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features