• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ST Ripper 93 (or 90) anyone have any experience from/with their kids?

B
My boy stepped up to riding an XR 70 this past Saturday, he had just learned to ride the JR 50 this past fall and while he had stayed in 1st gear all day, but knows how to get into 2nd or 3rd, he'll change gears when he gets good and ready for more than 1st gear speed.

My girl learned to ride the JR 50 on Saturday and now she wants a snowbike for next winter and if she masters the 50 this summer, I'll get her and him a 110 with the ST 93 ripper kit on it for sure.

Anyone know if they are good or not? I see lots of youtube videos of kids on them and they look like they are having a ball.

I was thrilled this past Saturday when my boy got right on the 70 and took off as he had some good experience last fall and this past spring riding the 50 again. I was hoping that he would not insist on riding the 50 and refuse to even try the 70 but he did and he had a good time.

Jackie just learned how to ride her pedal bike with no training wheels this past Sunday and then on Saturday gets on the bike, twists and goes. I was loving it as their 12 yo nephew, who I had taught to ride his KLX 125 last spring and helped all along the way with stalls, tipovers, was able to stay with either one of them anytime I needed to do something with the other kid so he was just paying it forward and helping, he is a good kid-aren't most kids who ride dirtbikes?

4 bikes.jpg Matthew 70.jpg Jackie 50.jpg

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I bought a 2018 ripper st90 before winter. Installed it on a brand new 2018 klx 110 for my 7 year old daughter.

Fun on PACKED mostly flat trails. Add loose snow, even just a few inches and a little incline and it just starts trenching and gets stuck. We put 8hrs on the bike before we had enough and decided to sell it. I even added 1.5” paddles to the track and still had issues with 3-4” of loose snow on top of a groomed trail on some hills.

I see they came out with a more aggressive paddle on the st93. But in my opinion won’t make enough difference....

This is more of a novelty than a snowbike. It’s good for playing around the house if you have a few acres. Or if strictly ride packed trails. Anything snow depth over 6-8” off trail and this things stuck, doesnt even really try. I really wanted this to work for us but it fell short big time.

1a8614ae6a2bef26ed2135e2b0798629.jpg
c6143f2c26f39cfbb8774120e5cff1f7.jpg

B
Thanks a ton. That hayfield is where we'd spend the time riding this winter if, and only if, the track/kit/bike would work in the powder as the kids, just like on the Mini Rev, are always going into the powder but if they try and get stuck then they would then just stay on the trail/track we'd have made for them.

Like you, I would want the bike to be able to go in at least 6-8" but if if won't, I might not bother. But then again, as we'll have made a trail for them to ride on, it could still be worth it for me to get them one of those.

Did that Kawasaki 110 work well otherwise? I think all the 110's are the same, is that true? I don't know much about any of them yet.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
All the 110s are very close. Kawasaki looks the best imo. Electric start, 4 speed. You can buy the “L” model that has a manual clutch and larger wheels. Had more than enough power to turn the track, flotation and traction were the issues. Also Kawasaki was the cheapest one to buy new when I got mine as well. $2000 for the bike and Ripper kit was $1800. Kawasaki models don’t require spacers at the swing arm like the yami and Honda models do when installing the ripper kit. So a little easier instal and less parts to keep track of.

B
Top-notch information, thanks. I truly appreciate the response and I know that if you got it, it was worth getting as I like everything you have mentioned about the Kawasaki for sure.

I do like the idea of not having to use any spacers and making the install/conversion easier as I would be swapping the kit back and forth as the seasons would change.

Just a bummer about the power/float or more like, no float.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Top-notch information, thanks. I truly appreciate the response and I know that if you got it, it was worth getting as I like everything you have mentioned about the Kawasaki for sure.

I do like the idea of not having to use any spacers and making the install/conversion easier as I would be swapping the kit back and forth as the seasons would change.

Just a bummer about the power/float or more like, no float.

Yes sir. After spending nearly $4000. I was really hoping it it would be a good fun Bike. Ended up just with me parking at the top of the trail, walking down to where she was stuck and pushing the bike up the hills all while we were both walking beside it.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
That was even with the paddles I added. Maybe with a very aggressive rider that could
Bang through the gears and be in search of more packed snow on the trail etc.... Ot would be a fun set up.... but for what it’s advertised for. It flat out sucks. They spent more time advertising that it can ride Dirt, sand, grass bla bla bla. Sell these at Walmart if you want some multi purpose, half *** machine.

If you advertise them as a mini timbersled, well by god make them useable on the snow!!! Not flat, packed trails or some back yard dirt moto X track.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The Geometry is so wrong with all the weight on the ski and nothing on the track. With adults at least we have some weight to move backwards for traction not so with the kids -- that track kit is way back there instead of under the bike where it should be -- engine layout does not help either.

My 2 cents worth

B
Wow, I'm glad I asked as there is no way I am going to get both the bike and the kit if it won't hardly move the kid in any kind of powder.

I'm loathe to get them a new Yamaha SnoScoot ES, but if there is no real snowbike that is worthy right now, we might have to for the winter-fun this upcoming season.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
The Geometry is so wrong with all the weight on the ski and nothing on the track. With adults at least we have some weight to move backwards for traction not so with the kids -- that track kit is way back there instead of under the bike where it should be -- engine layout does not help either.

My 2 cents worth

Very true. The forks would just settle at about half collapsed after riding. You would literally have to pull up on the handlebars to get the forks to rebound. My dads a little guy 150lbs. He thought lack of weight was the issue with traction. So he hopped on. No difference. Track spinning fast and going nowhere. I left a bad review on Polaris’s web site a couple months ago but I have yet to see it published. What a joke. I Ended up being the joke I guess. Over $4000 into a kids snow ride and it can’t step a inch off trail and sometimes not even on the trail.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
In all fairness. There was a kid that fit the st90 on a GROM and he installed the paddles like I did. He posted a couple times on snowest. He was underwhelmed with the kit and he was the inspiration I had for the paddles. He install the same custom paddles that i installed and he was pretty happy with it for ditch banging in Iowa.

Last edited:
B
Now that I've gone back and looked at all the Timbersled videos, they all show the kids going DOWNHILL in powder and they are only for very short downhill sections. None on the level or going uphill.

There is only one real video on YouTube, of the kit with a kid going down a groomed trail.

Last edited:
B
I got my boy, who will be 8 years old next Thursday, a 2018 TTR 110E and might just take a chance on the new Ripper 93 and hope it does better than the Ripper 90.

It is a blast riding the little 110 as it is clutchless with a 4 speed and does have decent power for such a small motor.

Matthew's Bike.jpg

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Power definitely was NOT an issue on the klx 110 either. It was all about flotation and traction. Even with the paddles I added. It would spin the track every where. Even running in 3rd gear from a stop........ $2000 for the kit is just to much $$ for what it’s capable of.

Premium Features