• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

most important backcountry gear, help list

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
out of respect of our lost brothers and sisters past present and hopefully with this list, maybe not so many in the furture. list the most important tools for back country riding.

along with the normal obvious stuff, avy pack, avy beaon, probe shovel.... lets list as many personal saftey items we can to help rookie and veteran back country riders come home safe. i'll start with one i feel is over looked but very important (to me and my group).

mine may not be a popular one out west but, here in the east they are utilized alittle more. my suggestion is for all of us to wear and use helmet comuncators like the collett platinums. they have been an endless help to our group. while in wyoming 2 years ago about 1/2 the group had them. one of our users (grapeape) was stuck on a hill with a fair steep angle and high up. another member without a communcator went up and circled above grape, high marking and alarming the whole group. grape got on the commincator and told us to stop him before he came again possibly triggering a slide (if his first one wasnt going to). like on cue the person was lining up to run at him again, the group stopped him through communicating with the radios and telling him the possible consequence of his first run let alone anymore.

you may not be able to have full blown conversations on them but you can hear, sharp right, sharp left, log on the right, rock on the left, i'm stuck (with location), this is not safe, lets move on...ect this may prevent persons being caught in a position of not knowing they are in danger and make them aware, and able to take action before something bad happens.

also not only using the helmet communcators but frs/gmrs radios all coordinated and locked on the same channel before leaving the parking areas. when you get stuck or take off your helmet for a reason, turn on the frs and talk via that (has better range and you can hear better). you can tell the group if it is easy, doable, has an abstacle(s), is too dangerous, or impassable because of trail blockage, trees, boulders, slide ect...

also make sure your guide (if you have one) has one. and or the first and last people in line in the group have radios. then the whole group can communicate and make the whole trip safer for all. these work and are a great aid for traveling and playing in the back country. these also help with setting up and taking great pics and vids. you can communicate to the rider and cameras where your going, what your doing or where you/they need to be.

keep this going for our friends we've loved and lost. may their rides be filled with deep powder, fresh snow, bluebird skies and endless days in the back country. ski

S

sldgy

Kinda makes me want to have friends to ride with so I could communicate as I rode.:rolleyes:

get an avy chart/indicator and use it.

in your post you showed that common sence of the stuck rider might have saved his own life, everyone needs to exercise common sence ALL the time.....complacency kills. many times our bawlls are bigger than our brains and there is the rub.

if it looks like it COULD slide, treat it like it SHOULD slide.... don't go cut it up w/o everyone knowing what you are doing. if you are gonna start a slide be sure it is not gonna eat up your buddies.

I agree that radios are prolly the best thing in avy safety....right behind the beacon and probe.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
ACR PLB.-for when the sh!t really hits the fan.

Rope, carabiners, webbing, prussik loops, to set up a Z-drag with brake-for when you, your buddy, your wife is upside down in a tree well on a steep slope and there is not enough man power to get the machine out by muscles alone. Saves ALOT of digging, or cutting trees.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
a few in our group have Garmin rino gps / walkie talkies. If lost, you can talk to your group and send your location via the walkie talkie so that they can find you.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
First Aid

Make sure to have a first aid kit in your pack. If you or a buddy gets fugged up it may save their life. More dangers out there than just slides.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Weekday,
I talked to my Dr. Got a list from him of what is really needed in a first aid kit, after we talked for a while, he loaded me up with most everything I need to handle a disaster.
Lots of nonstick gauze pads, tape, ace bandage, neosporin cream to help keep crap from sticking to wound. I carry a large plastic tarp on my sled and a smaller one in my pack which make great splints.
He warned me about pain killers. Go easy.
Basically take care of the basics..imobilize, ensure breathing, stop bleeding, treat for shock, get real help.
B

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Awesome post, more people need to be aware of all these items, last but not least make sure you notify more than one person where you will be, try to pinpoint location within 10-20 miles, time of expected return, and what to do if you don't return within these time frames. A quick cell phone call when you are back in an area with service after the ride is great. :cool:

K

Koby

Nov 26, 2007
Saddle Hills
a few in our group have Garmin rino gps / walkie talkies. If lost, you can talk to your group and send your location via the walkie talkie so that they can find you.

Once locked, you can ping your group and/or individuals and obtain their position without them keying their mike. The instruction for this feature is in the manual, and is one of the best features of this unit, as you can find someone that may be immobilized.

There was a thread on this subject that had peeps backpack inventory list that was awesome. I think it was called "What's in your backpack"

L
Sep 25, 2002
Sudbury, On
Great thread!

I'm working on a list myself... for next week's trip. I only make one or two trips a year out west but most of the stuff in here I carry back home as well whenever I ride. It can get effin cold here at night in the bush.

So far in my pack..
  • Probe, Shovel (Beacon strapped on under my jacket - Goes without question.)
  • 2 FRS Radios (one for me, one for whoever else)
  • Cell Phone
  • Sharp folding knife
  • Mini-Mag flashlight
  • Firestarters, 2 lighters, waterproof matches, tampon (for tank dipping, unless TDubbs hits the rag...);)
  • Complete first-aid kit.
  • Spare gloves, toque, baleclava, neck warmer
  • High energy snacks
  • Spare goggles
  • Small saw (mine is a bone saw, usually for for field dressing in the fall but works great on small trees)
  • Garmin GPS 60c
  • Spare AA batteries (for radios, flashlight and GPS)

The GPS, radio and knife go in the pouches on the pack's belt strap so they're easy to reach. Other than that, I have my DSLR bag tucked in there. It's all in a Burton AK 38L pack so there's plenty of room. :)

I think this is pretty complete... Like I said, I'm new to the mountain thing so if i'm missing anything please chime in.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Road flares are GREAT for building fires. They burn at 3000° for a couple hours.
Parafin coated cardboard is AWESOME firestarter OR use a cardboard mild container. 1/2 gallon or quart will do. It even works well when wet. Just tear and light. I also saw something on TV about fire starting. Glycerine and some phosphate something,when put together have a chemical reaction. They get VERY hot, smoke and then burst into flames very easily. Just mix and poof....FIRE.

Radio.

First aid equip.

Spare gloves, hat and socks.

Shovel, beacon, probe and saw.

GPS

SPOT if you can get one.

tampon (for tank dipping, unless TDubbs hits the rag...)

Or unless you're Sunridge and you just need them for crossing highways.

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
4ft of 1/8th" vinyl tubing. Useful for fuel transfer to another sled, dipping fuel to start a fire, use as straw to get water out of a creek, as tourniquet etc etc.

-DallanC

Premium Features