• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700t vs. 800t?

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
hey guys i am trying to decide if i want to turbo a 700 or an 800. i know the 700's had less problems than the 800 and were somewhat close to the stock 800 hp. let me hear what you guys think of your 700t's and your 800t's. give me pros cons etc.
thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The character of the two are differnt in how they make power.

The 800 turbos come on harder and have more bottom end... this can be good or bad.

They can both make similar power.

Curt at FTX is building a turbo Pro chassis as a project... I believe he elaborates more on this is his build up.

He is a big guy, with access to any parts he wants.. he chose the 700 to turbo as he says he as more ability to "finess" this sled in technical spots.

I'm NOT saying you cant do the same with an 800... Just something to think about.

The 700 turbos seem to get a bit better fuel economy.

Why dont you break down for us what you expect from the sled.

What Length/type track?

What altitude?

What location/snow-type?

What other mods have been done to the sled (ie suspension etc)

Ridier size?

Boodocking, hill drags, or climbing as a primary purpose of your fun?

What is your budget and ability to run race gas/mix?

Lots of variables... one size definately does not fit all.

The more info you provide the more refined your answers will be.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
The character of the two are differnt in how they make power.

The 800 turbos come on harder and have more bottom end... this can be good or bad.

They can both make similar power.

Curt at FTX is building a turbo Pro chassis as a project... I believe he elaborates more on this is his build up.

He is a big guy, with access to any parts he wants.. he chose the 700 to turbo as he says he as more ability to "finess" this sled in technical spots.

I'm NOT saying you cant do the same with an 800... Just something to think about.

The 700 turbos seem to get a bit better fuel economy.

Why dont you break down for us what you expect from the sled.

What Length/type track?

What altitude?

What location/snow-type?

What other mods have been done to the sled (ie suspension etc)

Ridier size?

Boodocking, hill drags, or climbing as a primary purpose of your fun?

What is your budget and ability to run race gas/mix?

Lots of variables... one size definately does not fit all.

The more info you provide the more refined your answers will be.

well for starters i expect a little bit of lag...because its a turbo. i have ridden a pg 800 and loved it! i loved how it handles and the bottom end was good. I just want something that will do it all. boondock, climb hills/chutes and a few hill drags. as for track size i dont really care if i ride a 155, its good for boondockin but a 163 is prefered..just because there are those times where you wish you had the extra length. most of the riding we do is anywhere from 4500ft-10,000...which is one of my concerns. a friend of mine didnt even have to touch his bd kit this year riding from those elevations but he had the new bd kit with the ada. snow type is your nice fluffy mt powder...but i ride it all...from early season with no base to may snow cond. fully loaded i probably weigh 170...but i can throw almost any sled around with ease due to my height advantage. and now for the budget....if i go back to school next year i will be stuck with a pg setup...probably runin 8-9 on straight av....if i get a job ive been waiting for a call on i would be running race. the two sleds i am looking at are an 07 and 08 700 dragon both with 1300mi + or- a hundred or so and i am also lookin at an 09 dragon 800 1200mi with updates, clutched, geared, mesh and stock hood 163 for 6900...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Find one that is already done... They will be found for less than 10k

You are looking at 5 -6 k (all in) for a kit.

One BIG thing that most people overlook is that with all that power, you need to be able to keep in under control... now I know that there are some with PG turbos and stock rear skids... but the control factor is night and day when you run a good aftermarket skid made for high hp.... keeping the front end down is good... but the skid cant be so stiff that it is not compliant to the terrain you are on.

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
i have both

700 and 800 turbo
(800 is broken actually)

they both make nearly same power.
justin from CodeRed was my support for the turbo setup.
i am using on both small i/c
in really deep i can not feel any difference.

i am using BD turbo setup but i switch from garrett to kkk. no lag and runs perfect. (the reason for kkk is i have 2 yrs replace warranty in europe)

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
if i go turbo i will have to buy one and start from square one....im planning on waiting to find a smokin deal on wither an 8 or a 7 and then doing a silber kit. i have heard a lot of good tihngs about silber and his customer service. i guess it will all depend on what kinda sled i can track down

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
700t

I have/had a 08 D700 BD PGT. Loved the sled. We had 3 of them in our group and one 08 D800 BD Full race gas. There were a few days the 800 out did us but most days we were all hanging together. That being said there were many more days the 800 was in the shop. I think they have the set up and maps all worked out now but it was a pain for my buddy.
The one really nice thing about the 700 is how reliable it has been. My sled had a little accident but the turbo survived. I was going to buy a 2010 holdover and move my BD kit to it. I'm now thinking of getting a proride and selling my turbo. I guess my point is an older sled I would do a D7, the newer sleds I would have done a D8. Just my opinion.
Either way, it rocks! Good luck
Arc

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
I was gonna build a 700 turbo. I had rode a 700 and a 800 with the same kit the same day and couldnt tell much difference. If you gonna build the sled you can find the 700s a little cheaper and they seem to have less issues. Having said that I own a 800 turbo now. I bought one done. Like said before buy a used one.

Premium Features