• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek Drop in kit RESULTS

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Back on topic? Heavily debating going the rk route and crave more user infooooo

yes back on topic please, and eric if you could remove the off topic posts i would much appreciate it! would like to keep this strictly to user results of rk tek drop in kits. I know there are more of you out there so please chime in on your experiences! just had a customer in the shop talking to me about his kit in his 11 a few minutes ago, said he put 900 miles on his kit this season (just drop in no pipe combo) and he is another happy customer!

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
1150 miles on '11 assault this season.

15:1 domes, no fuel box with 87 eth plug at 10-12k. Stock clutching.
Next year will be running Pcv do to the lean spots in the mid-range.

Overall very happy w/ the kit and the vibration reduction. Oem pistons lost compression at 1100miles. If i buy a '14 this summer, it'll be getting the RKT kit also.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
1300 mi with a full kit on an 11 with 13:1 heads, perfect wash, no scuffs found yet, no controller, great performance, non eth only, lots of non-syn Legend oil. Rings look great at exhaust, dunno intake side. I like Kelsey's pistons. It will run 5-7 F hotter.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
REG
can you give elv. thanks

6-10k. 62 or 64's EPIs with Carl's kit. Non-eth plug. Stock gearing, stock track. I oil fouled NGK iridiums, I don't run them anymore. Pump turned up, and 100:1 in the tank. Lots of oil. As I said, wash has been really good, but it's an 11. I have opted for abit more durability than performance (instead of 13.5:1 and more fuel).

Last edited:
R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
2011 assault- 12.5 domes 1200ft, 10-68's. Put 800 miles on the kit this winter.

Had problems with kit to start with. One of the pistons had a defective ring groove. Must have had a machining burr from the factory. I had to use a real thin file to make the ring fit in the groove correctly. After I got the engine back together, it wouldn't rev out. Would bog out at 7300 and had no snap. After messaging RKT many times about my problems, all the time I was reassured that I installed something wrong and there is nothing wrong with his kit. After missing a couple weekends with the same boggy sled, I was the one that figured out he sent me the stock replacement domes and not the 12.5 drop-in kit domes. I had compression checked it many times and was only reading 88psi with the first domes.

Received the correct domes and shortly after I had a wristpin get loose in the same piston that had the ring groove problem. Started with a slight noise and in about a week it was getting pretty noisy and hitting DET. Kelsey had two new FREE pistons to me in 2 days.

Now it seems to be running good. Had it out west twice with the kit. Running 8-10,000ft with 10-60's. Rev's about 8200 around 8000ft and 7800rpm at 10,000ft. Was hoping for more consistent rpm out the kit and less headaches at the start.

Kelsey stood behind his product and made good on the pistons when one had a problem, I lost a good amount of riding during this time though.

If I was to do it again I would just go with the direct replacement pistons. Half the price and I haven't felt a huge improvement in power with the kit.
That being said, on flat land this past weekend at 8000ft I could pull away from a bone stock 13 pro 800 on flat ground up to about 70 mph. (both riders about same weight) In no way is this a true way see which sled has more power. Both sleds 155'' but mine has a peak track which takes a bit more snort to turn. So it must be making a bit more power than stock if it can run with a lighter sled w/ belt drive and stock track.

Here's a vid of tonight in MN. 1200ft 10-68 weights. Peak track. Drop in kit. Everything else stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSgzf0yz1-k

Mine also runs 131 to 138F which is a bit higher than stock did. If you look at the water temp mounting location compared to the stock head, the RKT head has the sensor closer to the pto dome...could be getting a hotter reading being that little bit closer to the fire chamber.

Ramble done.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Now it seems to be running good. Had it out west twice with the kit. Running 8-10,000ft with 10-60's. Rev's about 8200 around 8000ft and 7800rpm at 10,000ft. Was hoping for more consistent rpm out the kit and less headaches at the start.

Mine also runs 131 to 138F which is a bit higher than stock did. If you look at the water temp mounting location compared to the stock head, the RKT head has the sensor closer to the pto dome...could be getting a hotter reading being that little bit closer to the fire chamber.

Ramble done.

You might want to read through the $28 upgrade thread... Some of the more knowledgeable guys on Snowest believe there is a power loss that starts at 129F.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
You might want to read through the $28 upgrade thread... Some of the more knowledgeable guys on Snowest believe there is a power loss that starts at 129F.

Yep, read the whole thing these past few weeks. Think that it would help me for sure. Have tried running without the t stat a couple times and temps are too low. 80-100 degrees most times. Also started to foul plugs like that, probably because of the more fuel for the cool temps. It's on my todo list.

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
I installed the drop-in kit in my SBA 2011 this winter. The sled was at 2500 miles stock engine and running very strong but low compresion on mag side. After the kit installed, the sled begin to bog when hiting the gas WOT. The problem was getting worse as i ride more. I was not able run WOT on long run as the RPM was dropping down slowly and end up with bogging . Finaly the engine seize on both side on the intake side of the piston with 400 miles on the kit. I dont know if the problem was the drop in kit or other problem that happen at the same time

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
roni87 what do you think of the Peak track?
Better then the 5.1, powerclaw or ? thanks.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Does anyone have any head to head with 2 different '13s ( one with the kit and one without) . the '13s seem to run stronger than the '11 and '12s so just looking for a more direct comparison. I love the sled just want a bit more HP to beat up on the e-tech s

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
not the best comparison because you only see him at the starting line:) should of had a camera on him, but the machine directly to my left in this video is a stock 2013 155, the machine to the left of him is a 2012 slp pipe and clutched 155, there is also a 2012 just drop in to my right and a 2012 drop in with pipe set up on the far right. we drag raced 4 times twice down and twice back with the same results my sled with the drop in kit and pipe combo would win by 3-5 sled lengths every time and this is a pretty short run

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
roni87 what do you think of the Peak track?
Better then the 5.1, powerclaw or ? thanks.

have ran a lot of powerclaws in the past and they are a give/take not as good in powder as the 5.1 but way better in more set up snow, might as well not even use your brakes going down hill though. similar with the peak had a 163 peak on one of my pro's last year and in the spring snow it was an animal! bone stock motor just clutching and it was very impressive, built that sled in april so only got to run it in the spring snow.. heard they need to be broke in for powder riding tho

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
have ran a lot of powerclaws in the past and they are a give/take not as good in powder as the 5.1 but way better in more set up snow, might as well not even use your brakes going down hill though. similar with the peak had a 163 peak on one of my pro's last year and in the spring snow it was an animal! bone stock motor just clutching and it was very impressive, built that sled in april so only got to run it in the spring snow.. heard they need to be broke in for powder riding tho

Hey Jkinzer, you want to try and stay on topic? :p:beer:

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Does anyone have any head to head with 2 different '13s ( one with the kit and one without) . the '13s seem to run stronger than the '11 and '12s so just looking for a more direct comparison. I love the sled just want a bit more HP to beat up on the e-tech s

friends of mine have a 11 with a drop in kit and bmp pipe and power commander and a 2013 stock. going to see how they go side by side this coming winter.

I have the kit in my 12 pro and love it the power increase was outstanding. Have the kit in a turbo pro and a turbo,ported and polished,turbo dome heads all the kits are running outstanding love the kit would recomend it to anyone that wants more power out of there sled.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dudes, FYI, the thumbs down only on my hands-on RKT report is from TurboJamie, who hasn't popped up his head up elsewhere on this thread (or the pro forum), but often flashes a little stiffy for Kelsey and BJ when he finds an audience. Doubtful he rides the poo, and most likely has no experience here with the products.

My results are my results. Thought you should know if you're using this thread to help make choices. Que sara sara.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I have a big question????? Who has over 1000 miles on a rkt drop in kit from 0-3000'???

Hundreds of riders have well over 1000 miles at the lower elevations.. Whether or not they frequent SW is unknown..

The piston does not know what elevation it is running at. It functions exactly the same regardless of elevation.. The head, and the the head only dictates how "safe" this kit is at any elevation..

This kit is rock solid with no issues... As you can read (with all the different threads related to it), there are many happy people running this kit and we are confident this will continue for may seasons to come

Premium Features