• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Job employment?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co
This sucks I've been a self employee business owner for close to 20 years now with a few different business. I sold my last business a few months ago and cant find anything. I think with construction down around here all the jobs have gotten snatched up.

Any advise? I would rather be just busting my butt working then this looking crap!

C
May 12, 2008
The Western slope of Colorado seems to be very strong still. Oil fields popping up alll over the place. It has actually sucked the half-decent workers out of the Eagle Valley. Plenty of construction jobs in Vail still too....or anything for that matter.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co
Well I guess I could post a resume,but I'll save you all the pain.

Experience in all aspects of lighting manufacture -design,management,woodworking,shipping & recieving,sales trade shows, customer service, fork lift operation and maintence

Flooring store - books,payroll ,installation, creating estimates from blueprints and on site,job scheduleing,collections

I would really love to run and manage own company again ,but for now I'd do anything from management to running heavy equipment to sales. I know thats kind of broad but I already tried to sell my sole ,but no takers.

Thanks guys

D
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
I feel your pain a crooked boss put me out of work 2 weeks ago and I have yet to find anything. There just isnt much out there right now the economy has really hurt things

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I feel it too as I haven't officially shut it down but have gone from funneling $20k a month to $0 a month over the last 6 months. I'm looking for a business as-well, and actually thinking about something that will provide Ins and pension. (I'm 32 now and need to start thinking about futures)
I think there will be alot of smaller franchise oportunities coming up, where-as you don't make the big bucks but get a benefit package, and can do things on the side for cash (one thing that comes to mind, and I'm not particualarly interested in would be a UPS store.)
I looked at an Arctic Cat dealership yesterday, but it came with high dollar commercial property. Dealership was just buy current inventory which he'll carry until March. The property was worth over 1m in a good market and he was discounting it quite a bit but still out of my range, and I feel the declining market will bring properties down quite a bit more. I'm running it through my head now, as the owner has several other businesses and doesn't have time to run them all. (might propose that I take over for the season on a small salary with profit share, and talk about buying it after I see it function).

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co
Dmkhnr have you checked out sba loans lately and has anything changed with this whole banking mess. I know it has changed the mortage industry ,but havn't checked out business loans. It used to be 1/3 down cash to pick up a biz loan.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I didn't check, as this has done a number on my credit. (sat on a spec home for 1.5 years). I actually made it through the spec home with good credit, what got me is (construction industry usually operates on a negative cash flow 1-3 months behind) When the chips settled I was 1 month behind and actually not in too bad of shape, but I'm in the hole. (nothing that can't be fixed over a little time)
I can get private money pretty easy. And wifey has some money she hides away from me.

To be honest, I think cash is king and will be for some time to come now.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I might have to just go get a real job, don't know if I can do it!!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
PJ no work in Steamboat?

Not really! The economy is really hitting people hard up here. We already laid off a crew, the local excavation companies are scrounging, Architects are laying folks off, houses aren't selling and nobody is moving forward with land development. It has hit a standstill in the last month. I am getting very scared as I have a family and a baby on the way.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Same boat here in Wa. St. Last December the Landscape business I was operating -for 4 years I tried to purchase but for smart reasons, I didn't. I decided to start clean with my own. Through the spring and early summer, I stayed busy but it has been at a standstill for me for a couple months. Going into winter like this is scary and I am also looking for some work or should I say employment. I am starting some holiday lighting stuff but I'm not sure how that is going to take. Tough times for sure.

Premium Features