• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a 850 worth the extra money

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
I am looking at buying a 2018 polaris rmk 800 155 for $ 8999 brand new with one year of warranty the price I quoted is without sales tax obviously. I am just wondering in a 2019 or 2020 snow snowcheck 850 is worth the extra 5 grand when I can put the new 37in front end for $1200

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Short answer yes...
Long answer the 850 will have a much better resale value, youll have less of a hit later on, the 850 is much more powerful engine, its like an 800 with a stage 4 kit (maby not as much on the bottom end but for shure mit to top) so add that into the price with the front end kit... so far its been a pretty good powerplant, (aside from what the haters say) it only has a 1% fail rate so its more or less on par with the 800.. plus the warrenty... are you getting a 4 year witj the 800 as well?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you have the money it's worth it. If not that is a really good deal on the 800. There are a bunch more refinements on the 850 besides front end and more power. The more 850s out there the less valuable the 800 will be. Buy the 800 for what it is. Don't buy it and try to make it an 850.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
The updated electronics are a huge improvement. And the new engine mounting setup is also a plus. the 800ho is a great motor, but the 850 keeps pulling where the 800 falls flat after hard pulls, or in steep and deep trees. as said above, if you have the money, 850 totally worth it. if you don't have the dough, well then the 800 is still an awesome sled

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I have an 800 with SLP pipe and Alt impact true clearance arm kit and I freaking love that thing. My buddy has a new ALPHA and would rather ride my sled and so would I :). Plus I spent 5k less.

I would love to have an 850, just not worth the extra coinage, yet.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Lots of improvements other than engine the react front end is realy good. Best stock shocks on Polaris rmk that I've owned. Snowcheck a 2020 with warranty and ride it like you stole it you won't be disappointed.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
5 grand is a big savings. A lot of the depreciation is soaked up already on the 800. Ya, they might lose resale quicker but if resale is a big issue it’s the wrong hobby. you could throw a turbo on and still be under price of an 850.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
If your going to keep the 18 for four years. I would buy 2020 for electrical improvements. Always remember when a sled is three to four years old the new models are much improved.

B

brett soluk

Oct 19, 2016
The 850 power is awesome and the narrow front end is a huge difference. But the reliability of the 800 is proved. The 850 has had way too many issues the first year. Through a turbo and narrow front end on an 800 would be a better option.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
I bought an 18 left over and put an Alt Impact 36'' front end on it for $595 Indy Dan clutches and head. The sled rips and it doesn't matter how long I keep it these machines are a lose lose. How much cash can you piss away?

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Apples to watermelons comparison here, but...

I rode a high boost 800 one day and a stock 850 the next, pretty much identical sleds other than the motor.

Between those two, the boosted 800 was wayyyyyyy more fun.

It would be an easy choice of what sled I'd ride if those were my options.

K
Oct 7, 2018
This has peaked my interest. Those of you in the know, does a 2019 800 have all of the upgrades that the 850 has? Aside from the motor obviously.

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
How does a 2019 ski doo 850 154 so model compare to the 2018 pro 800 155 I just found I can buy a ski doo for $10000 so it is only about a grand more than a pro. I have never even road a summit before.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
How does a 2019 ski doo 850 154 so model compare to the 2018 pro 800 155 I just found I can buy a ski doo for $10000 so it is only about a grand more than a pro. I have never even road a summit before.
The Doo is a really good sled. Just handles totally different. Steering post is angled rather than vertical. The 850 Etec is sweet. Lots of low and mid range.

I like the Poo better in poor snow and when things are steep or tight, just more predictable. The Doo SHOULD be more reliable and hold its value better. Pros and cons with each.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
The Doo is a really good sled. Just handles totally different. Steering post is angled rather than vertical. The 850 Etec is sweet. Lots of low and mid range.

I like the Poo better in poor snow and when things are steep or tight, just more predictable. The Doo SHOULD be more reliable and hold its value better. Pros and cons with each.

I dont think more reliable is the right word for it, they are probally equally as reliable as doo has had its own probs... you are right they do handle diffrent i think thats a matter or personal choice, but overall the poo is easier to choose a line and stay on it, but i think the doo wins in the endless powder... they are a bit like apples and oranges.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Right now I am a poo guy with an 850 and I am torn how to respond. The 19' is a great sled, they have upgraded the 18's electrical system and the front end. The front suspension was the first and most notable change for me. In my opinion and experience, their is no doubt the 850 is a better motor than the 800 as well. But my problem is saying that it is 5k better... I'm not sure how to put a price on it. (and that is a big one) If you have the change to spend, it's better and you won't be disappointed. Many smiles had. If you are trying to save a little bit, it sounds like you have a great deal on a wonderful sled that will make you happy for a lot less. And you will have money to spend on upgrades if you choose. On your comment about the doo, I ride with multiple 850's, all great sleds. Personally, I like the axys chassis. But the doo is a great sled with a powerful motor as well. I think it comes down to what you like. After Cat came back to the table with their 18' mtn cat, I truly think all three newer sleds are the best that have ever been built. And any one of them will compete head to head with each other all day. I don't think you'll be disappointed anyway you go.

That said, I'm a polaris homer. I'm comfortable on them and feel very confident where I can put it. I say poo , then cat, then doo and that is NOT a knock on doo. Someone who is comfortable with it will kick the crap out of me on a mountainside I am sure.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Right now I am a poo guy with an 850 and I am torn how to respond. The 19' is a great sled, they have upgraded the 18's electrical system and the front end. The front suspension was the first and most notable change for me. In my opinion and experience, their is no doubt the 850 is a better motor than the 800 as well. But my problem is saying that it is 5k better... I'm not sure how to put a price on it. (and that is a big one) If you have the change to spend, it's better and you won't be disappointed. Many smiles had. If you are trying to save a little bit, it sounds like you have a great deal on a wonderful sled that will make you happy for a lot less. And you will have money to spend on upgrades if you choose. On your comment about the doo, I ride with multiple 850's, all great sleds. Personally, I like the axys chassis. But the doo is a great sled with a powerful motor as well. I think it comes down to what you like. After Cat came back to the table with their 18' mtn cat, I truly think all three newer sleds are the best that have ever been built. And any one of them will compete head to head with each other all day. I don't think you'll be disappointed anyway you go.

That said, I'm a polaris homer. I'm comfortable on them and feel very confident where I can put it. I say poo , then cat, then doo and that is NOT a knock on doo. Someone who is comfortable with it will kick the crap out of me on a mountainside I am sure.

Well put.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Personally, I’d go with the 2018 Axys 800. 5k is a lot of coin extra. No doubt the 850 is more powerful and has a newer, better front end but not sure it’ll outperform the 800 by 5 grand worth. But if you got the means, the 850 is gonna be the top dog for sure.

Premium Features