• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WP OC 48MM fork oil

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Hey all, looking for advice on fork oil level. I picked up some .60 springs and 10W oil. I will measure out the oil i take out and I have the manual which says 626CC. I am planning on adding a bit more to stop bottoming (also have airpro). No I do not want to change valving yet until I have a spare set of forks. Anyone tell me how much oil I can put into my KTM WP Open Cartridge 48MM?

Also I was going to play around with the ski/track angles to eliminate washout, anyone know how the track/ski should sit when standing.

On a side note, has anyone messed around with gearing or drivers to get that track spinning a bit more haha? I have a KTM500 wide ratio.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Hey all, looking for advice on fork oil level. I picked up some .60 springs and 10W oil. I will measure out the oil i take out and I have the manual which says 626CC. I am planning on adding a bit more to stop bottoming (also have airpro). No I do not want to change valving yet until I have a spare set of forks. Anyone tell me how much oil I can put into my KTM WP Open Cartridge 48MM?

Also I was going to play around with the ski/track angles to eliminate washout, anyone know how the track/ski should sit when standing.

On a side note, has anyone messed around with gearing or drivers to get that track spinning a bit more haha? I have a KTM500 wide ratio.

I've got a 14 500 EXC. This year I put in .62 springs, and used the same 110ml oil level as I usually run in the summer with 5W oil. I don't want to change valving either and thought about trying 10W oil. Might do that later if needed.

It is definitely stiff enough now. Way better than the soggy stock springs that I ran last winter and bottomed out everywhere. If it needs a little more help with bottoming I will add some oil 10mm at a time or something like that.

I'm not sure how measuring from the top of the fork tubes compared to a specific volume of oil compares. Setting it by height is pretty easy. It should say the air chamber length in your owners manual near where it says the oil volume.

Also since the .62 springs I got have substantially thicker thicker coils than stock, I had to grind down the fins on the black plastic spring guide/hydraulic stop or whatever its called. Your springs might not need it, but just something to be prepared for. It was super easy to do.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I've got a 14 500 EXC. This year I put in .62 springs, and used the same 110ml oil level as I usually run in the summer with 5W oil. I don't want to change valving either and thought about trying 10W oil. Might do that later if needed.

It is definitely stiff enough now. Way better than the soggy stock springs that I ran last winter and bottomed out everywhere. If it needs a little more help with bottoming I will add some oil 10mm at a time or something like that.

I'm not sure how measuring from the top of the fork tubes compared to a specific volume of oil compares. Setting it by height is pretty easy. It should say the air chamber length in your owners manual near where it says the oil volume.

Also since the .62 springs I got have substantially thicker thicker coils than stock, I had to grind down the fins on the black plastic spring guide/hydraulic stop or whatever its called. Your springs might not need it, but just something to be prepared for. It was super easy to do.
7.5 w oil slows compression very well. With .64 its pretty good.oil change is a great fix

Premium Features