• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What type of snow gear do you like?

S

stewy42

Nov 24, 2010
Port Hadlock
Just thought I'd see what brands people have been using and are happy with. Do you use snowmobile specific clothing or ski gear? Whats lightweight, still can keep you warm and dry but don't sweat like crazy when riding?

G

gorilla

Feb 9, 2012
middle of no where
I've used snowboard gear, snowmobile gear and just general snow sports/outdoors gear and they all worked just fine. GoreTex or something similar is the main thing I was looking for. Dry and breathable. I still wear my snowboard gear as backup gear if my Klim stuff gets muddy or really wet in spring conditions. I'm currently wearing a Mountain Hardware jacket that has rip stop type of fabric. Works great.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I wear Klim, head to toe.
I have never gotten wet or cold in their gear and the quality durability is great.
If I ever get stuck on the mountain or have to spend the night, I want to be wearing "mountain specific gear", not day pants and a coat.
It's a bit more expensive, but well worth the price for what you get.

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
In the heart of the Kootenays BC
Staying with Snowmobile specific gear especially pants and boots will save you in the long run. Because of Tree smashing bush whacking, and aggressive running boards, our gear can tend to get a little more abused than ski or snowboard gear. Even with a lifetime warranty that your ski or board gear may come with, that still equates to down time while you wait for your gear to be warrantied.
I have worn Motorfist for the past 3 season's and it has held up well. eVent is a waterproof breathable membrane that ensures warmth and dryness.
Supporting the businesses that support our sport is an important aspect of this equation too. There are many a company on the greenie bandwagon, lobbying to close off our ride areas to motorized use. You'd be surprised. There are so many of those companies, and some unknowingly contribute, the only safe way to know you are supporting a pro sled business is by keeping your choices sled specific.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I've had Klim gear forever and currently use 509 helmet and goggles. TNA backpack. Never been wet with my klim gear. Price is high but its worth it IMO. Gear isn't a place to cheap out. And sled specific gear is the only way to go.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I agree that buying snowmobile specific gear is important to our community. They are trying to make the best stuff for all riders if we dont buy, they cant improve. Then we are left with crap.
Klim and Motorfist are both very well made products and I use them both.
Last spring we rode a wet rainy day. I am the only Motorfist jacket and bib guy in my Klim wearing riding goup.
I was also the only dry butt in our group!!!! My buddies crotches legs and butts were wet. They also had water come through their jackets at their forearms.
they all said that was the first time they had ever been wet through their gear and I believe them. But I was dry! :face-icon-small-ton
my Klim boots are the most comfortable I have ever worn. They kept my feet dry for 2 yrs then they started getting soaked on every ride now I wear Motorfist stompers and my feet are dry so far but we will see in another yr.
I keep buying klim gloves because they fit well and keep my hands dry for a yr or 2. And every new pair is redesigned and better fitting.
I think I will try a pair of Motorfist WOT gloves this yr. I bought a new pair of Klims Inversion Pro gloves this yr. On most days all I need is a wind stopper and tree branch protection glove.

I hear both Klim and Motorfist both have outstanding warranties.
I have never made a warranty claim but maybe I should on my water logged Klim boots and gloves?

my Klim buddies give me a lot of crap over my Motorfist gear but I will never forget that rainy April day! Lol
I can't rub it in because they are sensitive polaris riders. Lol :sorry:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have found the snowmobile specific attire is less expensive than all the mountaineer brand stuff. I wear mostly North Face gear. I haven't had a problem with durability. I do get the supporting the sport thing though. I just think the snowmobile gear is far from fashionable and don't like looking like everyone else on the mountain :)

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I agree that buying snowmobile specific gear is important to our community. They are trying to make the best stuff for all riders if we dont buy, they cant improve. Then we are left with crap.
Klim and Motorfist are both very well made products and I use them both.
Last spring we rode a wet rainy day. I am the only Motorfist jacket and bib guy in my Klim wearing riding goup.
I was also the only dry butt in our group!!!! My buddies crotches legs and butts were wet. They also had water come through their jackets at their forearms.
they all said that was the first time they had ever been wet through their gear and I believe them. But I was dry! :face-icon-small-ton
my Klim boots are the most comfortable I have ever worn. They kept my feet dry for 2 yrs then they started getting soaked on every ride now I wear Motorfist stompers and my feet are dry so far but we will see in another yr.
I keep buying klim gloves because they fit well and keep my hands dry for a yr or 2. And every new pair is redesigned and better fitting.
I think I will try a pair of Motorfist WOT gloves this yr. I bought a new pair of Klims Inversion Pro gloves this yr. On most days all I need is a wind stopper and tree branch protection glove.

I hear both Klim and Motorfist both have outstanding warranties.
I have never made a warranty claim but maybe I should on my water logged Klim boots and gloves?

my Klim buddies give me a lot of crap over my Motorfist gear but I will never forget that rainy April day! Lol
I can't rub it in because they are sensitive polaris riders. Lol :sorry:

In defense of my Klim jacket on that soaking wet day in April, It wansn't until late in the day that I realized that both armpit vents were wide open from the previous ride. Didn't dawn on me until it was too late. Soaked all the way down to the crotch. Never had that problem before. I have had great success with Klm warranty though. Had a pair of bibs that leaked thru the knees after many years....replaced new under warranty....first ride on new Tog bibs, butt got wet...sent them in...warrantied no problem. Also had my 3 year old Klim boots leak at the laces...warrantied.

I don't think I have ever given anyone any crap for wearing Motorfist, Heck my favorite gloves are Motorfist. Much better than the comparable gauntlet style Klim glove IMO. My spring time gloves are Klim though.

Anxious to try out the new 509 EVO helmet and Sinister X5 goggles whiteout this year though.

Bottom line, buy quality sled gear from reputable sled gear manufactures.
Mountain Addiction is having a half price sale on their new gear and as an added bonus, if you ask them to, they will make a $20 donation to the Yakima Ski Benders WSSA club. Their mfg facility is part of the Yakima Tent and Awning facility in Yak.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I won't use any pants except for Klim. For jackets I've had great luck with HMK and I'll put my Arcteryx Gore pullover up against Klim any day (even tho I believe they are mainly for skiing/snowboarding; I can assure you they are the best/toughest jackets on the planet). Avoid Arctiva at all cost - never been so soaked or cold in my life! HMK boots rule as do TNA gloves (Klim's wear out way too fast).

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Supporting the businesses that support our sport is an important aspect of this equation too. There are many a company on the greenie bandwagon, lobbying to close off our ride areas to motorized use. You'd be surprised. There are so many of those companies, and some unknowingly contribute, the only safe way to know you are supporting a pro sled business is by keeping your choices sled specific.

Well said! :thumb:

I have found the snowmobile specific attire is less expensive than all the mountaineer brand stuff. I wear mostly North Face gear. I haven't had a problem with durability. I do get the supporting the sport thing though. I just think the snowmobile gear is far from fashionable and don't like looking like everyone else on the mountain :)

I'm sure you weren't aware, but you are inadvertently supporting a company who is a corporate partner of WWA

http://winterwildlands.org/our-partners/corporate-partners/

REI and Frontier Airlines are huge supporters of "non-motorized" initiatives as well.

Last edited:

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
I started out wearing snowboard gear, simply because that's what I had...

The snowmobile specific stuff does hold up better. Not a brand loyal guy, buy what fits or what you like.

I have Klim boots and gloves, HMK pants and shell, Motorfist gloves for my backup pair.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Well said! :thumb:

I'm sure you weren't aware, but you are inadvertently supporting a company who is a corporate partner of WWA

http://winterwildlands.org/our-partners/corporate-partners/

REI and Frontier Airlines are huge supporters of "non-motorized" initiatives as well.

Good information there.
Interesting about Clif Bars too. Not surprising though.
I have seen a lot of those up on the hill. Don't know why....I tried one once, thought it tasted like crap. Won't ever have another one.

OK, Back to Topic

BCA backpack too........

C
Jan 5, 2009
snohomish

north face gives money to shut us down!!

S

stewy42

Nov 24, 2010
Port Hadlock
Liking this topic. Good information that a lot of people probably never even think about when buying gear. I dont think any of us would want to support a company that doesnt back the snowmobile community. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Premium Features