• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

previous owner ran amsoil....any ill effects switching to cat oil?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
the previous owner of my M8 says he ran amsoil in it since the day it was new. i dont think amsoil is bad, i just dont think it is worth the extra money (on any engine application). so i purchased a jug of cat oil at the local dealer over the weekend. i was going to fill up the sled before i head to cooke next weekend, but the reservior is about 3/4 full of amsoil right now. i noticed the cat oil is a complete different color.

1. will it hurt anything to switch to a different oil after it has been running on amsoil for 1700 miles?

2. can i top the reservoir off with cat oil, or shouldnt i mix it?

3. if i shouldn't mix it, how many miles can one expect to ride in the mountains with the reservoir 3/4 full? (i realize usage will be different for everyone, but just throw a few numbers out there for me...)

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I've always found that amsoil is cheaper than the APV. But I guess it all depends on what he was running.. As for mixing the oils they are both synthetic and made for two stroke engines.. it really doesn't make a difference. A certified catmaster told me once before that it wont do any harm, but im sure someone will disagree, personal preference is all.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
There is no problem switching from amsoil to cat. I think cat is better anyway.
You should be able to get real close to two tanks of fuel at 3/4 full on
the oil injection tank.

What I have done in the past on my buddies sleds is run it low, then
suck out the rest of the amsoil with a 1/2" clear hose 3' long. I would only mix what i couldn't get out of the tank.

It is not necessary to pull the oil tank and drain. If you do remove the tank
be sure to run a pre mix of 100 to 1 directly in fuel tank in case of an air bubble in oil injection line.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2010
oil change..

you also want to be aware, that when switching oils, your consumption can be altered, if your going back to cat oil, youl probably burn more oil, than the amsoil.. i know of guys who have ran cat oil, and turned there oil pumps down, to a minimum.. and then switch to amsoil oil... wich is alot thicker, and it wont flow the same on cold days,,, so you could run the risk of a melt down, if you do not correct the pump setting also.. but in your case, you will be fine...

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i was not even aware the oil injection pump could be adjusted..... is this something easy to look at and figure out if it has been tinkered with?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I like ams oil better than cats but if you like spending more for oil go ahead. No problems switching them, just run the oil down low and add oil. Messing around sucking out the other oil is a waste of time. When syn. oil first came out there were problems that arose because of the reactions of differnt bases for the oils. Almost all oils will blend today with the possible exception of some of the bean based oils.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
and why do you say you like ams better?

If you pull a pipe or Powervalves, you'll see the difference in why many of us don't run cat oil. It leaves things very sticky. The valves are more likely to stick (not some huge deal... just something that happens) and the pipe is a slimy mess!

Considering that Amzoil is cheaper, and MOST people who have run it would say it's a better oil, I can't see why you would want to switch back. Not trying to start a "my oil is better" thread by any means, but if an oil works, and doesn't cost more... That's the direction I go. (That said, I spend more than cat oil on Legend, which is a VERY different oil than either of those, so I'm sure not vested in trying to pitch you on Amzoil)

Run the oil YOU want to run, and DO NOT remove your oil bottle unless you're doing a delete. Run the bottle low, dump in whatever you're going to use. It's not NEARLY as big a deal as what some people say.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
For me I can get Ams Interceptor cheaper than Cat by about $10 a gallon. That is why I switched, plus I like the fact that it doesn't smell like a friggin pine tree! Lol

I have ran Cat in a pinch though. Mixing back and forth without problems. With 3/4 tank left...It should last atleast a day. Just run it for the first day then top off with Cat oil on day two

Boone

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Cleaner and less smoke. I've never had a oil related engine failure or pemature wear. Power valves are always clean. It's avalible everywhere and cheaper than manufactures oil. All manufactures tell you to run their oil, means nothing. Now, Indydan hates ams-oil claims it makes the crank bearings rust! Poor storage makes crank bearing rust, but no sense getting into that. Lots of good oil, run what you want.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Now, Indydan hates ams-oil claims it makes the crank bearings rust! Poor storage makes crank bearing rust, but no sense getting into that.

Now that would need to be clarified between interceptor & dominator. From what I understand the dominator doesn't have a rust inhibitor like the interceptor does, because it's intended to be used in a racing situation where rebuilds are more common. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but I've been told this by two Amzoil dealers, so I take it to be accurate.

Just because the Dominator costs a bit more doesn't mean it's a better oil.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Now that would need to be clarified between interceptor & dominator. From what I understand the dominator doesn't have a rust inhibitor like the interceptor does, because it's intended to be used in a racing situation where rebuilds are more common. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement, but I've been told this by two Amzoil dealers, so I take it to be accurate.

Just because the Dominator costs a bit more doesn't mean it's a better oil.

You are probably right, I used to use the old blue original oil and once they came out with the interceptor I switched to that. dominator is their pre mix racing oil so slow people like me don't use it!

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
carry a quart with you, run it till the light comes on, if you are far from the truck, add the quart of oil. if you are almost done for the day, run it back to the truck and then top it off. no sense for a full on drain it dry to switch. been their done that... many times, no ill effects. my take on oil, is run the easiest access oil you can get where you ride, as long as it meets mfg standards. it all gets burnt up, and puked out the pipe anyway. ski

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
deff run amsoil burns cleaner less smoke dont foul plugs at all and its alot cheaper that my .02 cents
:face-icon-small-coo

S
Sep 16, 2010
I did the opposite switch two seasons ago (AC oil to Amsoil) and never had a problem with the two oils mixing during switchover.

I say head to the mountains with a full tank of oil!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
well, i bought a gallon of amsoil interceptor today. it was $40.xx.....the cat synthetic i got from the dealer was $42.99. while it is cheaper, it isnt ALOT cheaper.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
well, i bought a gallon of amsoil interceptor today. it was $40.xx.....the cat synthetic i got from the dealer was $42.99. while it is cheaper, it isnt ALOT cheaper.

If you get the $10 or so "preferred customer card" it pays for itself VERY quickly.

amzoil has an odd structure (biz wise I mean) if you talk to a dealer (not a big biz, a smaller dealer on here) you can get it way cheaper.

Last time I bought interceptor I was paying $27 I believe. I think it came to $118 shipped, and it got here from Kansas or wherever, very quick.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
I've only seen one non-sponsored test on 2-stroke oils which solely tested wear from friction, and the winner was BellRay MC-1, which is too thick to be used in the winter. Of the snowmobile oils, Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Cat synthetics we're at the top of the list. I bring my own jug to the Polaris dealer and get VES Gold for $25/gal and it smells better than Cat oil too.

Also, my buddy is a cat mechanic and in his own sled he pours in whatever is closest to his hand, sometimes mixing several oils at once. Contrary to popular belief, "compatability" was invented to keep customers enslaved to a particular product. I say pour something slippery in the tank and go riding.

Premium Features