• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Huusky/KTM Valve Cover Vent hose mods - What works best?

D
Nov 22, 2017
I've been searching for some concrete info and can't find a good solution.

I was out yesterday on my FE501. Insane powder day. but cold around -18c and a touch windy. Powder was super fine, and got everywhere. I think what happenened is the valve cover vent hose froze up and that blew out the valve cover gasket. I lost almost all my oil and through limping and a tow from a sled I was able to make it back to the truck without damaging the engine.

So what mods have you guys done to address this? I have read one guy took a real long hose and ran it down in behind the engine towards the track but that just seems like it would get plugged up real easy in that position.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
vent hose

on my Yam WR I ran mine into the air box that I have totally sealed, problem solved.

My current bike KTM 500 xcw it runs to my airboot just after the air filter, can't plug, but it sometimes ****s some oil into my air intake track.

Two of my riding pals with TS snorkle set ups, have a small green air filter socks on the end of their vent tubes and we have never seen a problem.
We never ride below 20 f so I can't say if the sock would ice up durning -15 riding, I doubt you would have trouble with that setup.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I run my vent hose one loop around the top of the cylinder head and vent right to the side of the spark plug( not at it) where it is good and hot never had a problem freezing and much less issues with moisture in the oil ?? Probably because it never has any venting problems , all the ones hanging down are in a ball of ice when it gets cold. A short slit in the hose will also assure you never pressurise the engine. Even Frozen the slit will open enough to relieve pressure if needed.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
what causes these vent lines to leak oil? mine constantly seems to drip oil from that vent hose.

there is also constant pressure when plugging that line with your finger when the bike is running.

is that normal?

Grab a hose from NAPA, run it down by the linkage mounts, ziptie it in a place where the track rubs on it. With the track hitting it constantly it'll never freeze up.

This also keeps it away from your motor. I'm way to OCD to have that crud dripping on my motor all day, plus the constant smell of burning oil is annoying.

A
Nov 14, 2017
what causes these vent lines to leak oil? mine constantly seems to drip oil from that vent hose.

there is also constant pressure when plugging that line with your finger when the bike is running.

is that normal?

Your crankcase is being pressurized by blowby past the rings. This is normal, although when the rings are worn this can get excessive. Thats why if the hose gets plugged the valve cover gasket pops, the pressure has to go somewhere.

Premium Features