• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 sled weigh off

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Attached snow weight.
Poo and doo hold a lot of snow.
Since 2013 cat(le) has had a huge advantage in this area. The Alpha will be better at shedding snow weight.

I know that, but if the Cat was 30lbs lighter in the shop it would be 30lbs lighter on the snow too, right?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
These were all full of fuel and oil and ready to ride.

Axys is still the lightest even with 2 gallons more fuel and more oil capacity than the competitors . .?

643 lbs - Yamaha sidewinder 155" with turbo
551 lbs - Summit 850 ST 154" track with shot
542 lbs - Arctic Cat alpha 154"
519 lbs - 800 Pro RMK 155" 3" track with chaincase
518 lbs - Assault 800 155" 2.6" track
513 lbs - 800 AXYS 163" 2.6" with belt drive
510 lbs - 850 Axys 155" 2.6" with belt drive. Also spare plugs, tool kit, manual
506 lbs - 600 RMK 155" track

HP TO WEIGHT

2019 Polaris 850 RMK = 3.00lbs per HP
2019 Arctic Cat Alpha = 3.39 lbs per HP
2019 Skidoo Summit SP = 3.29 lbs per HP
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder = 3.15 lbs per HP

internet police-
its 540 pounds, so 3.375 lbs/hp on the alpha.

penalty: add two pounds of snow in your spindles. we'll forget about the skid for right now.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
those #s actually surprised me !

i didn't think cat/poo/doo were that far a part
Interesting

so if the doo X is 5-10lbs lighter and the poo 3'' is 5-10lbs
heavier that still doesn't address the 2 gallons of fuel

well done polaris on weight
time will tell on everything else

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Hey did the doo always hold 3.6 qts of oil or did they make the oil tank bigger. Someone mentioned that the doo gained weight I was wondering if this might be why.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hey did the doo always hold 3.6 qts of oil or did they make the oil tank bigger. Someone mentioned that the doo gained weight I was wondering if this might be why.

If all were weighed DRY, that would be by far the most accurate. As we can see, there are varying sizes of gas and oil tanks. Doo doo started the RTR or "wet weight" a few years because they looked better (weight wise) due to the smaller gas and oil tanks. Their reasoning, at that time, was that the doo got better fuel mileage, and we all know how inaccurate that was! LOL.

There is a reason why the Mfgs. go by a DRY weight as that is the most accurate, . . . by far!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'd agree that dry weight is better for a true comparison, and I'd prefer manufacturers stuck with dry weight to avoid the temptation to cut corners. RTR weight still matters, but only if the typical user isn't forced to routinely carry extra gas and oil. I think the gas tank should be big enough for a day of typical riding (though that gets murky in a mountain sled), and the oil tank should be worth at least three tanks of gas – just to spit-ball some things. Room for, say, three more gallons of gas and another quart of oil will add a couple pounds, perhaps? I'd gladly accept that, even if it means I don't fill the tank half the time. I personally don't carry gas; I've got a 600, and usually get a pretty good day of riding out of a tank. A small tank might not matter to a guy who carries gas to stash before the aggressive stuff, but even some of them wouldn't say no to a bigger (internal) tank.

Probably more into the weeds, but chasing wet weight could also lead you to cutting too much cooling capacity (heard of issues on the Pros) and maybe even skimping on chaincase oil. Obviously the engineers should have that figured out and be making the right compromises, but when they're told "I want the lightest sled, and I don't care what it takes," the results aren't always so great...

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Bear some good points

i will say all my buddies ride 800s poo and doo

i'd say 3/4s of the time extra fuel isn't needed
i personally only used my spare fuel once last season
i did come home on fumes a couple times :face-icon-small-hap
point being I'd guess a big percentage don't need spare fuel
at all

this all goes out the window if it's super deep of course
then you have to use all the fuel plus spare and still head back early but it's so worth it !

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The alpha is kind of a different beast. I know there are more 'regular' models but I bet any one of those are close or heavier than the G4.

And the polaris sleds still bend a arms easier, have shocks that go to shlt faster, tracks that fall apart sooner and tunnels that bend easier. Still props on building them so light. They'll be light until you need to replace something. Somebody needs to push the envelope after all.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
The alpha is kind of a different beast. I know there are more 'regular' models but I bet any one of those are close or heavier than the G4.

And the polaris sleds still bend a arms easier, have shocks that go to shlt faster, tracks that fall apart sooner and tunnels that bend easier. Still props on building them so light. They'll be light until you need to replace something. Somebody needs to push the envelope after all.

The AC tunnel folds like a tin can, and Polaris a-arms are new this year.

Premium Features