• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4 sleds on a 18' trailer?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Just wondering if you guys figure 4 longtracks will fit on a 18' open trailer? It is a car hauler type, so only 7' between the axles, but in front and behind the full 8'6". My sled is a 162", 3 of my buddies have 144" and 1 has a 153". I know my sled is about 12' long and a 144" is like 10'?

My big concern is one sled would have to be staggered on the rear as 7' isn't enough to have the skis as I measured mine to 44". And I don't think the trailer is long enough to have one sled backwards?

What do you guys think? I am considering selling my deck if 4 can fit on the trailer, so I can free up some money. Wouldn't be happening often so if it takes a bit to load it wouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited:
A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
I think you are going to be trying to put a round peg in a square hole with that trailer. Three would work, but four I think will be a nightmare trying to keep them all secure, not touching each other and keeping the wind from either ripping the windshield/hoods off or dropping a ski on the ground and dragging the whole mess of them off with it.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
If I can fit 3 sleds (151, 136, 136) on a 10' triton, I would think with a little creativity you could fit 4 on your trailer.

Keep in mind the skis can hang over about a foot and the rears can hang over about 2'.

What if you pull two sleds way forward, put one right up the middle (backwards) and one of the shortest sleds goes on the rear of the trailer, sideways (remove the skis, you may be slightly over width though).

Or, put the two rear machines in backwards.

Measure up one sled, cut some little paper sleds to scale and place them on a scaled drawing of trailer.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yea I know it is not ideal, but it's free for me to use and selling my deck would free me up a lot of cash, and i'd maybe use the trailer once or twice this year. Any other time we will use my buddies 2 place's, it's just if we have 4 going we don't want to take 2 trucks, 3 going would be easy fit I know. And 5 people in 1 truck is to squished.

One big question, if two sleds wide would fit on 7' anyhow? If it would I know 4 would fit easily, but measuring my RT they are 44", which would make a total of 4" to wide. Is a 07 M8, 02 skidoo 144", or 07 rev 144" going to have any narrow ski stance?

I guess if we had to we could put 3 on the trailer, one in the truck but it's just kind a pain putting one in the box.

I was just hoping to here it would work somehow.

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
I used to haul 4 sleds on an 18' x 7' car trailer but I built a custom splash shield for the front that made the front of the trailer wider. I would park the two front sleds pointing forward and one rear sled facing front and one facing back. If you have two 144's or shorter in the group put them on the same side both pointing forward. The longer sleds will be pointing opposite directions with the skids overlapping each other. If you cannot par two side by side facing foreward I don't know if you can pull it off easily.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I used to haul 4 sleds on an 18' x 7' car trailer but I built a custom splash shield for the front that made the front of the trailer wider. I would park the two front sleds pointing forward and one rear sled facing front and one facing back. If you have two 144's or shorter in the group put them on the same side both pointing forward. The longer sleds will be pointing opposite directions with the skids overlapping each other. If you cannot par two side by side facing foreward I don't know if you can pull it off easily.

The first 8' of so the trailer is 8'6" wide then for the 4' or so of fender it narrows to 7', then back to 8'6". That is a good idea I bet that would work. I am going to get someone to measure the trailer for me tomorrow, for some reason I think it is a big longer then 18' possible even 19'. The nice thing is it's maybe 18" off the ground very low so backing a sled on wouldn't be an issue.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Sounds like a lot of work to load up 4 sleds, i'd just put 3 on the trailer and one in the bed of the truck. I wouldn't want my sled hanging 2 feet off the back of the trailer.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Sounds like a lot of work to load up 4 sleds, i'd just put 3 on the trailer and one in the bed of the truck. I wouldn't want my sled hanging 2 feet off the back of the trailer.

Well by the time you lift/drive the sled into the box you can screw around a lot trying to place 4 on the trailer. And my dodge is a shortbox with a small slip tank in the front, so i've only got about 5'6" or box room which ain't a lot. I don't care if my track is off 2', no different on that on a deck. My 162" on my deck is like 4' off, doesn't do anything just needs to be tied down good.

I'm not sure exactly how long it is, but we had 3 on my buddies 2 place. I'm guessing it was 12'+2'V, 2 144's and a 162" would fit fine with one sled angled at the front of backed in from the back.

I'm really thinking somehow it will work. I was just hoping someone else had done it.

Deck it

I had your same issue. My solution was to put a raised deck on my car trailer making it an 8' x 20' flatbed. I use 3, 2 x 8's to clear the fenders and put 1/2 plywood over them. It cost me about $400 when it was all done. I have made some improvements over the last 4 years, but it is about as simple as it sounds. I use a bi-fold ramp to load and off load over the side in front. My new sleds have reverse so I can just back down the ramp now. It takes my son and I about 2 hours to install or remove as I break it down for storage. I also can't use my car trailer in the winter, but who cares, I want to ride anyway.

C
Oct 1, 2009
Spo Valley
but measuring my RT they are 44", which would make a total of 4" to wide.
Remember, it's only 44" at the skis...how wide is it at the rear? How about one at the front angled only enough to keep it on the 8'6", 2 in the middle facing front to back (one forward, one backward so they fit between the fenders) and the last one on the rear at an angle similar to the front one. If you're still lacking overall length consider 4x4 or 6x6 blocks under the front/rear ones so the middle sled's skis can go "under" them. No matter how you do it, plan on using lots of straps.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Those are both good ideas. I'm not all that worried, because we are booking our first trip of the year and guess what, some people are bailing already not even gonna need it for this one. O well. Thanks for the suggestions i'm sure we'll be able to cram 4 on if we need to.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well I got the measurements for the trailer today. Exactly 18' long, but only 6'7" between fenders :( Need the trailer to haul some stuff so going to bring it home in the next few days and put my sled on it and see how much room I got. I am really thinking 2 forward in the front, 1 rear facing forward then 1 rear facing the rear. If I have to I will extend the deck in the front as the trailer has an extremely long tounge to make it a 20' deck.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
all should fit forward, put the two back ones on so they are sitting with one ski on the fenders of the trailer, if the fender is strong enough, will be tight but i believe it will work, we have done it that way once before cant remember how long the trailer was had to be 18 or 20. Might look redneck but it will work

K
Dec 17, 2008
penticton, b.c.
i think you're asking for trouble with your plan....you might think about putting the shortest sled in the back of the truck...how ****ty would it be to lose a sled off the trailer, or get some of them bashed up.....

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
it would suck i agree, but im just saying that ive done it before and worked fine, theres hardly anything sitting on the fender, most of it is on the bed of the trailer maybe both of them dont need to be on the fender just one, pretty sure if you strap them down good there not gunna go anywhere

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the input guys but I just picked up some steel and i'm building a deck so I can have 2 on the truck 2 on a trailer. Figured it would be easier anyways, the trailer is pretty heavy for sleds, and this setup should work a lot better.

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
We have put 4 on a 16' trailer, 2 144" 1 153" 1 163". 153 goes on first skis hanging over the front, 163 gets Backed on beside it leaving about 18" of track hanging over the front rail. 144 front load behind the 153 and 144 backed in to the 163 lots of tie straps to secure everything, but it worked. We only did it to drive up this two track BS road in order to get to a "super secret" riding area that in the end was not worth the effort.

Premium Features