• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 RAM 1500 TURBO DIESEL V6

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
What's the point? You buy a diesel to tow and nobody's first choice towing is a half ton. Diesel around here is 50 cents a gallon more than unleaded. Also today's gas motors are getting awesome longevity. I can see a diesel in a Jeep for off roading torque but don't get the half ton thing.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
The point SHOULD be that it SHOULD get a lot better mileage than a gasser... but thanks to the EPA that isn't happenin' with our new age diesels in the US. I know several contractors that have fleet's of 10-15 pickups, most are making the switch to gassers if they aren't hooked to a trailer every day. .50/gal difference around here also and with comparable MPG's it's getting really hard to justify owning one.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
What's the point? You buy a diesel to tow and nobody's first choice towing is a half ton. Diesel around here is 50 cents a gallon more than unleaded. Also today's gas motors are getting awesome longevity. I can see a diesel in a Jeep for off roading torque but don't get the half ton thing.

If you believe that the majority of 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups sold are sold to people who NEED them for towing, you're sorely mistaken. The majority of large diesel pickups on the road are the result of WANT, not NEED. I don't need a big diesel, and I'm a farmer. Guess what? I've got two 1-ton diesel RAM pickups of my own.

The half ton diesel should get fairly decent mileage. I have faith in the Italian-born engine they'll be stuffing in there. Diesels are a huge chunk of the market in Europe, they have their stuff figured out pretty well. No one bought a half ton chevy in 1991 with a naturally aspirated 6.2 liter diesel to pull a 30 foot horse trailer in the mountains. And if you did, you're a dumb-azz.

This pickup is gonna be a WANT thing. They'll sell them, and you'll continue to be confused how they do so. I WANT a pickup like this. Many consumers WANT a half ton pickup with a diesel. RAM is delivering, and I'm guessing at least GM will follow suit.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I would definitely be in the market for a half ton diesel. I have no need for a 3/4 ton diesel with the HP and the suspension they have today. Would the 3/4 be nice? Dang right it would be. I would love one but there is no way I could justify it. A half ton diesel I could probably justify. I'm sold on one depending on the MPG numbers. Looking forward to see what else the market offers.

If you want to compare mileage of a gasser 1/2 ton with a 1/2 ton diesel....

Chevy and Ford are claiming close to 20 mpg on their trucks, the diesel 1/2 ton would have to get 24.25 mpg to just break even. This doesn't even factor in the cost of a diesel motor compared to a gasser. If it's $4000 more for the diesel it would take 133,333 miles before your in the good buying the diesel, and that's if this new 1/2 ton smoker gets 30 mpg.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Aren't the ecoboost hp & torque numbers very similar to what they are projecting from this 3.0 dsl?

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Ecoboost HP is way higher, torque is about the same, the big question mark will be mileage. If it can pull a real world average of 25 mpg I will be all over it.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Banks version of the motor... looks like there is some modification room to enhance performance

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_banks_vm_motori_630t_v6_diesel_engine/

Euro specs on the motor are 34 mpg freeway and 29 combined (EU 3 Liter diesel Grand Cherokee). Given more stringent USA standards I can expect about a 10-15% reduction in those numbers. look for 30 mpg freeway and 26-27 combined.

I think there will be some programmers produced, or chips, exhaust options etc that could open this motor up to getting really good MPG. Excited that someone is finally taking the plunge and making a 1500 truck with a small diesel!

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I think there is an awesome market for this truck. It still will have more torque than any other truck in its class. And torque is what we buy diesels for, that and mileage. We have several eco boost's around here, and yes they are very capable pickups, but only if you keep you foot out of it. Even Jared at Boondocker has one and he loves it. But the fact is, if you are using all the HP that lil bugger spools up your mileage is in the tank. Add a set of airbags, just like anybody does with a half ton that tows, and you will be just fine for 90% of the hauling around town that most people do. Plus when you do exhaust, chip, and intake on diesels your power AND your mileage increas...

I think it will be a huge success.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
If you believe that the majority of 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups sold are sold to people who NEED them for towing, you're sorely mistaken. The majority of large diesel pickups on the road are the result of WANT, not NEED. I don't need a big diesel, and I'm a farmer. Guess what? I've got two 1-ton diesel RAM pickups of my own.

The half ton diesel should get fairly decent mileage. I have faith in the Italian-born engine they'll be stuffing in there. Diesels are a huge chunk of the market in Europe, they have their stuff figured out pretty well. No one bought a half ton chevy in 1991 with a naturally aspirated 6.2 liter diesel to pull a 30 foot horse trailer in the mountains. And if you did, you're a dumb-azz.

This pickup is gonna be a WANT thing. They'll sell them, and you'll continue to be confused how they do so. I WANT a pickup like this. Many consumers WANT a half ton pickup with a diesel. RAM is delivering, and I'm guessing at least GM will follow suit.

If you are a farmer you say you don't need a diesel, then you are doing something wrong. ;)

I'm neither a farmer or a rancher and I need my diesel. The mileage is way better than a comprable gasser and the motor will last ages, compared to a gasoline powerd motor. Towing, hands down is easier with diesels. A gasser will be revving at high RPMs to haul uphill and the tranny will get so damn hot from shifting back and forth trying to maintain any speed whatsoever. Diesels just tractor and get it done.

As for the 1/2 ton Dodge diesel, I bet it sells like hotcakes. More power, torque, efficiency than the 3/4 ton and 1 ton rigs. It'll tow your 2 place easily and get basically the same gas mileage as when you aren't towing. A gasser, even with little trailers the MPG drops drastically. As do the bigger diesel truck sbut they still get better mileage towing the same load as a gasser. True, diesel is more expensive than gas but the ease of driving a diesel is better.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
With all the epa crap on diesels now I'd be really surprised if they get 20/26 real world. Hell, what are the new 8 cylinder diesels actually getting 18??? There's no doubt people will buy them, but with the initial cost, fuel cost, and cost to make them get better millage (dpf delete, chips) I don't see the huge market. Maybe back when diesel was substantially cheaper then gas.

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
I as well think it will sell great and fill a void in the market. I have a 2010 2500 ram with a Hemi, and tow something year round on the weekends, either the open snowmobile trailer or my open car trailer with my Racecar on it. I did not NEED the 3/4 ton, I was actually looking for a half ton when I stumbled across this truck at a deal I couldn't pass up. My truck realistically gets 10 mpg city and 14 highway. If I baby it I can get 17 cruising at 65-70mph, this rarely happens.

I think it will be a great truck for people looking to haul a little more often than your average half ton owner, but isn't hauling heavy enough loads to justify a heavy duty truck. I would personally own one, so i can see the market.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i agree there will be a huge market for half ton diesels and wish gm woulda released the 4.5l they had planned before the bankruptcy. there are a lot of people that want the diesel for all the reasons stated above but don't need the big truck. hell I'm probably in that category myself, i have a 1 ton dmax because i wanted the dmax but the majority of my towing is no more than a 4 place open sled trailer which i know a 1/2 ton could handle just fine. hopefully gm follows shortly after.

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
I can see it selling well too, I am just speaking from my perspective, I have 2 diesels, am thinking of trading one for a gas just to run around in, probably a raptor. But I also want a gtr so who knows lol

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
rude people own stinky diesels! nothing like huffing diesel exhaust on a warm summer day so some guy can cruize around with his loud 4 inch exhausted, black smoking, truck only hauling his fat azz...

bucky919

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
North Dakota
The point SHOULD be that it SHOULD get a lot better mileage than a gasser... but thanks to the EPA that isn't happenin' with our new age diesels in the US. I know several contractors that have fleet's of 10-15 pickups, most are making the switch to gassers if they aren't hooked to a trailer every day. .50/gal difference around here also and with comparable MPG's it's getting really hard to justify owning one.

Theres alot of company's going to gassers just because the maintenance costs on diesels are alot more, plus fuel is more expensive. Our company goes through 700,000 gallons of diesel a month in equipment and every truck is a gasser, all the diesel were phassed out in 2010.

I own a 2011 ecoboost ya I can tow our 28 foot enclosed trailer with it, with no problems, average around 10mpg towing it. And with no trailer I average 17mpg. Which is pretty good for a truck. Ya it doesn't pull like a 500hp cummins, but it gets down the highway.

But the EPA is a killer, because to get decent milage out of a diesel you have to remove all the emission stuff. But the EPA is currenlty in lawsuits with some of the aftermarket company's to stop them from selling. EGR,DPF deletes ect.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. Im not against a half ton diesel just be a tough sell, it was hard for Truck owners to accept the Ecoboost in buying a V6 and it having power.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
With all the epa crap on diesels now I'd be really surprised if they get 20/26 real world. Hell, what are the new 8 cylinder diesels actually getting 18??? There's no doubt people will buy them, but with the initial cost, fuel cost, and cost to make them get better millage (dpf delete, chips) I don't see the huge market. Maybe back when diesel was substantially cheaper then gas.

The Jeep diesels net better power and economy as do the VW Jettas that are diesels. And you can actually drive them with no worries of lack of power.

The jeep can get close to 30 and the Jetta gets over 50. So why not a 1/2 ton? And if you delete that Emission crap you can get back to over 20. And IMO, 18 MPG ain't bad for a full size pickup. You won't see a 3/4 ton gasser getting that.

Premium Features