• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Egt Temps On An 07 M8 With Slp Pipe

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I Put A Single Egt Koso Right After The Y-pipe And Yesterday I Saw Some Reading Over 1300, One At 1371. I Have Been Very Diligent About Watching My Plug Color And Piston Wash With A Borescope. Does Anyone Have Any Advice On This. Should I Continue Riding As Is Or Get A Fuel Controller. I'd Prefer Not To Have To, I Don't Want To Have To Be Constantly Tuning. Thanks.

Last edited:
G

GONRIDIN

If it was in the mid range, you should be fine. The mid range will always take hotter temps than top end. Temps will also show hotter the further away you get from the exhaust port. Trust piston wash and plug wetness over temp.

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I shoud have measure mine so i could post it(its at work), but it didn't really leave me much of an option for mounting areas. I went with what looked best, it is probably 1/8 inch from the exhaust donut (in the pipe, not the y-pipe). It is good to know the the further away the hotter it is, within reason I'm sure. I am pulling to high of rpm as well, I plan on fixing that tomorrow with maybe some 72's or 73's. I have 70 right now and it is pulling like 8350 at its highest. Just don't wan to loose my crank. I was considering that CPC adjustables just because of the ease of changing the weight. Anybody have any feed back on those? And what else do you guys think about my temps? Thanks alot.

Cameron

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I have the Cutler adjustables and love them. Just keep your weight in the heel of them. If you need 72 grams than you would run the Cutlers at about 70 to attain the same. I would get the 65-75's for your application! As far as the egt's........seems a little hot to me! I've got my lights set at 1275 and rarely see it. Best thing to do is run at like 6000-6500rpm's for about 1000 yards or so and check your plugs. Sandy brown to brown is good! White is bad! Don't let anyone on here tell you what temps are ok for your machine. It's your investment, protect it by reading your plugs and determining that baseline yourself! I would try to avoid getting a fuel box too, but if you need it, you need it. It'd be really easy just to add a little fuel in the middle and not have to touch it again. Good luck.

Aaron

B
Dec 21, 2006
I have a similar package. What is the deal with A/C and 6000-6500rpm heating up so much. I have my EGT's in the y-pipe(installed by SLP) and at that RPM the temps just keep creeping. Do they do this stock and was I just not aware of this because I didn't have EGT's then? Will the exhaust sensor adjust things to keep the sled from burning at that point? I am kind of frustrated because that is a good cruising point for trails to the riding areas. I am considering the Ski-Doo style power valves from Supreme Tool hoping the progressive opening will help with this.

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I switched to 73 gram Arctic Cat weights and I am pulling an awsome 8220. I am riding at 500 feet and I am pretty sure the when I go up to the Mountains, 2300-5000, it will be right about 8100. So I am very happy with it. I am still getting very high egt temps, but I then check my plug color and it looks good, maybe even a little rich, more black than brown. But 1412(max temp, and only for a quick second) seems outragous to me. I should be seizing up. What the hell is going on? I love how it rides but I don't want to live in fear, and my wash/plug color says something totally different than what my EGT is telling me? Anyone else got any good advice?

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2006
Just a thought but if your sled is running too rich and not burning all of the fuel in the cylinder, it will run into the pipe and burn there. It is a false EGt reading because the flash/burn in the pipe will jump the pipe temps. Try richening it and see if your pipe temps keep increasing.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i put an egt at the same place on my 08 1000....totally stock, so i could get some egt readings as a reference for future mods....wide open, long pull of about 1 1/2 minutes, egt was 1385, plugs were where i would want them if i was tuning to the max, but not wanting to burn down.....when i did the same with my 07 m-8, egts' never went above 1225...after porting, head, single pipe and can, egts climbed to about 1300, plugs were not lean and i felt i could have opened the ports a bit more with no problem....i also run an xp with an egt at the same spot, and get egts of 1325-1350, with plugs that are very safe....the hot spot on a single pipe is about 2-3 inches downstream of the junction of the y-pipe, in the pipe

B
Dec 21, 2006
Slyrydr,

What do you see for EGT's at about 6000rpm for sustained runs? Is there a ceiling to those numbers. I run my EGT's in the y-pipe(2 sensors) and have seen as high as 1288. I have my alarm set for 1200. My WFO is about 1190 or so. I am just concerned and would like somebody else's feedback.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
A high EGT temp doesn't necessarily mean your motor is lean and ready to burn down. Tune with your wash and plug color. Once you're dialed in you can now use your EGT temps. These temps are now believable and should be what you use as a baseline for setting EGT temp alarms. There doesn't need to be much difference in the placement of probes in the pipe to make a huge difference in temps. AKM8, it sounds like your probes may be a little further out on your pipe causing the higher temps. You won't have to be constantly tuning if you put a fuel controller on it. There are some very good ones that you tune till your dialed in then ride. I recommend Pure Logic, they work very well. There are some others I'm sure that are just as good, but my experience has only been with them and the Boondocker , which I don't think are near as good. I've seen too many people with the Boondocker having to do exactly what you are leary of, constantly dicking with it. Hope this helps ya.

Cheers;:beer;
Shane

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
I shoud have measure mine so i could post it(its at work), but it didn't really leave me much of an option for mounting areas. I went with what looked best, it is probably 1/8 inch from the exhaust donut (in the pipe, not the y-pipe). It is good to know the the further away the hotter it is, within reason I'm sure. I am pulling to high of rpm as well, I plan on fixing that tomorrow with maybe some 72's or 73's. I have 70 right now and it is pulling like 8350 at its highest. Just don't wan to loose my crank. I was considering that CPC adjustables just because of the ease of changing the weight. Anybody have any feed back on those? And what else do you guys think about my temps? Thanks alot.

Cameron

i have the cutler's and they are very easy to adjust while on the clutch. have a friend with the supertips from supreme tool but they are a pain to adjust....have to remove from the clutch to adjust.

i have same issue with temps but not quite as high as yours. i have 2 sensor. didn't realize you see higher numbers further from ports.

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
Ya it is pretty hard forme to grasp that as well but I talked to Dustin at SLP and he kind of explained it to me. Still didn't understand though. Haha, Oh well he told me what yuo guys are saying, tune to piston was and plug color, not the EGT. And THEN use it to keep and eye on your motor. So I fell better about it now. We will see with some more miles. Thanks for all the help guys. And to anyone wanting to know if they should get this pipe. I would say go for it. It is awsome, and as much as I hate worring about burning down it is deffinetly worth it for this setup. I am thinking about maybe some reeds in the future too but I don't know if it will lean my motor out any more? Anyone know?

Premium Features