• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS weights

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Well said geo. I have a lot of guys get caught up in track speed but conditions dictate that more than anything. Just finished an M8 porting job for a guy and went out to ride it. I was running about 40-42 mph in deep snow. He weighs about 75 lbs more than me and can't pull more than 38. Same sled same setup, two hills, two riders.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
I both disagree and agree about your comments on track speed. If I am on my sled out on a hill and make two pulls at 40 mph and then make a 5 minute clutching change and get a 45 mph track speed, how is that not a direct comparrison and an improvement.

Yes you can't really compare one persons track speed to someone else that is running on a different day at a different elevation, but that is not what I was asking. Geo, you did all the homework, all I want to know is how much track speed improved with these weights? Do they give better acceleration but not overall trackspeed.

I have two M7s in my group that are identical except for clutching. Mine will get 36mph consistantly on many different hills and in different conditions. The other will get 41 mph consistantly and it doesn't matter who runs which sled and he is 100lbs heavier than me. The other sled goes places mine won't and the difference has to be track speed. Yes, I am in the process of copying his clutching but was wondering if the MDS setup would be even better.

It's fun to ride something that "feels" fast, but I want to get to more places I can't now. Yes I know, I need to upgrade to an M1000. Basically what I am trying get at is if I am only going to gain 1 mph and some seat of the pants feel, I'd rather save my money for something else.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Let me save you some money. FOR THE HUNDRED AND ELEVENTH TIME THEY COME WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTY, :yell: dam people. If you decide they are not for you send them back. If you get them and for some reason your not happy all I have to say is make sure you give steve a call and tell him he may know a better setup, give it a chance, and run what he recommends before you say they don't work.

I agree with your track speed statement, if you do back to back pulls you will know track speed and get the seat of the pants feel.

BTW 1mph track speed is a difference, enough that if it was guarantied I would spend money to get it maybe not a lot but a little.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Joe:

Point taken.

What I have been seeing same rider/same conditions is 4 mph on the m8,m7 and 5-7 mph on the M1000.

Hope that helps.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
WyoBoy1000, Geo and Racinstation, I respect your guys' opinion as you know a lot more than I will ever know, but If I went and bought everything that had a money back guarantee (ab rollers, hydroxycut, Proactive....) I would waste a lot of time ordering products, trying products, sending back products that didn't work for me. I just want to know what my expectations are before I purchase something.

Thanks Eric that is what I wanted to know. I will give Steve a call and most likely purchase a set to try. Hope I didn't get anyone's underwear in a bunch.:D

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Regardless if they work or not... most expensive clutch weight I have ever seen.

Ya ya, paying for the performance, paying for the development

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Regardless if they work or not... most expensive clutch weight I have ever seen.

Ya ya, paying for the performance, paying for the development

What you are paying for is a clutch kit in all reality, RKT kit is the same price and may need other changes. I am confident enough in these weights that I would take people that weren't sure, to the mountain and test there sled then put the weights in and test again, the cost would be $100 for every mph gained. To gain this kind of speeds with power mods it would cost a lot more.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
sounds like these weights are the real deal. i want more info, these are the kind of informational posts i cant get enough of. can someone help explain how you get all of this performance out of a weight.

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
MDS all the way

I've got 3 -4 good rides in now. 09 M8 Sno Pro, speedwerx full pipe setup, no controller. Speedwerx blue/white primary spring (120/310), stock secondary spring, straight 36 helix. Sled completely rips period. Noticable gains all around, plius it makes the engine to track transfer seem smoother. Steve provided me specific directions for my altitude at home (4-7K), vs my winter trip where I am now (Togwotee + Idaho, Utah 8-11K) Hitting target RPM's at both locations dead on, plus I'm using 3-4 grams more weight than I did with Cutler Adjustables :thumb:

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Sounds like good feedback to me

I really don't think the price is that bad.

Dalton's go for $219 and Cutler's go for $159

I've been real impressed with Dalton weights I've been running. Really like the adjustability of the Cutler and Dalton weights.

So are these like the SLP MTX were you put rivets in to adjust were you want more weight?

Track speed is hard to compare from day to day but on the same day on the same hill its a great indication of clutch performance IMO. I try to mess with weights and springs on a hill in order to compare.

I also ride with 2 other guys with almost identical 2011 M8s so I like to make changes and compare to their setups.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
These weights adjust with nut and bolts (which I love).

I have used Heavy Hitters, Thunder Shift and Super Tips and I love being able to adjust without having to drill out rivets.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
i have stock clutches other than the mds weights one signifigant thing i noticed my engagement seemed to be higher and when it does engage it kind of snaps into it...causin me to worry about breakin another primary spring........im runnin the yellow white spring at 2200 ft and steve set me up with 79 grams for here.......a great guy to work with...would reccomend him anyday just thinkin i might need to be dialed in more...............o and one other thing im not sure if thisis supposed to happen but i noticed the front end isnt near as hoppy as it was before but yet i feel no signifigant power loss when in powder

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
It looks like most of you are talking about the M8 let me know if you want my input on M1000 setup. I love these weights and after trying them I called Eric at Racin Station and almost begged him to try a set. I was running them back home and was hoping he would try them in a mountain setting.

It's obvious why Eric is one of the top tuners, he is willing to try new products. He is giving a money back guarentee on a product he did not design that means he really believes in the product. I bet he could fill a good sized dump truck of money back guarentee items he has purchase for snowmobiles that did not work as advertised or were just not worth the money. I know you don't hear it enough Eric, Thanks for the time you spend testing and tuning. You have helped me and a ton of people on this sight get to the next level.

If you do a search on these weights you can find my other posts. I am happy others are having good luck with them also. Thanks again Steve for the design of these and help you have given me.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
There are typically three typical things that can cause a hard engagement.

1. A primary spring with a high first number. I use 120 engagement springs on my 09. I know the new H.O. motor has less crank weight and likes a little higher enagement. The trick is to get as low of an engagement as possible without a bog. On the 2010 and 2011 there are several posts on the topic.

2. Your cross bolts holding your weights may be too tight. I tighten them and once they are snug I keep swinging them to see when they stop swinging freely. Then I back the nut off just a hair until the O rings are nice and snug and the weights swing freely.

3. Your belt to outer clutch sheave distance could be greater than .020. You can adjust this by shimming the spider or for an easy fix the new Thunder Products ABC thingy allows one to adjust this distance with a quick adjust bolt.

The profile alone of these interesting new weights (I haven't tried them yet) may contribute to a aggressive engagement as well. Then there is always the worn spider or broken roller on the secondary that could be contributing but, with a new sled, I doubt it.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
anyone use them on a 4 weight 1000 clutch if so with what results i also have a rkt kit on it ???

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Two days now with just the stock secondary and MDS weights. 5000 to 6000ft. 2011 153 M8 std with SLP pipe, SLP airbox addition and PCV. I've got about 38lbs off with add-ons and take-offs and holes and titanium springs and... And, about 250lbs added with rider, gear,tools,belt,water (I lied it's beer) and a snack. Apples to apples eh LOL.

Track speed gains? Yes. Cooler clutching? Yes. Backshift good? Yes. Happy? Yes Yes Yes. I'll be able to drop another 4 or 5 lbs in tools and springs soon LOL.

Some wonder about a multi-angled helix. Steve built multi-angle into his weights, just for our secondary, so no need.

These weights definitly put a smoother power delivery to the track (less spin when angles of the hill change, means you'll go higher).

Yesterday I ran a unfinished logging road from end to end and back. About 22km. Wide open. Lots of air from log and dirt piles covered in 5 feetish of base and 1 to 2 ft of fresh. Speeds from 30 to 70mph and the rpm from 8080 to 8160 (best I can tell cause I had to pay attention to the 15 ft holes on the sides).
Stopped right at the end, opened the hood and panel. Clutches were warm, belt a bit warmer. That's good clutching.

Tried some hills (way less work on the clutches). 40 to 60 footers straight up, saw 40 plus at the bottom but then had to pay attention to the front end (keep it down) and the trees. 60 to 100 footers almost straight up, I'm sure I saw 50mph but then I lost my line ( note to self, DON'T look at the speedo when I'm wide open LOL) and had to back off and side hill out and up. Lucked out and found a line before having to drop back into the creek in a bad spot. Longer hills, I'll have to wait 'till it's a little less avalanchy cause the packed ones aren't a challenge.

Meadow runs about 1/4 mile virgin 70ish but too much snow dust coming on to the speedo to be sure. Back on my track, shut off at 80ish (cause I know thats about it on the 10 and 11's).

Then I said to self, self 'nuff testin' we're done. Blue sky, fresh snow, Let's burn this tank of fuel.

Oh, I also said thanks Steve.

geo

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
In case anyone wants to try.

I have a Cat Gold in the front with a 90 thou shim. That makes it about a 90-290 spring. I installed 1.8 gr. in the bottom hole and 5.8 in the top hole for a total of 80 gr even with the set screw.

Engages at 3150, shifts at 8150. Pulls from 0 to 80ish at 8150 on the flats and from 10 mph to 50 plus digging a fresh line on a steep hill (starting in the hill) from 7950 at the bottom to 8100 by the count of two ( one one-thousand, two one-thousand). That's the best I can describe my track speed.

If you choose to run this low an engagement with this pipe you will need to add fuel with the PCV from 2250 to 4250, from two to twenty percent throttle position, in th 8 to 20 percent amounts. The rest of the SLP map is good. Including the added accel. amount they recommend. It's a heck of a torquey motor down low if you feed it.

Hope it helps some

Premium Features