• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX intake with skid plate??

S

slojoe13

May 6, 2008
Westminster, CO
I have an '09 M8 with a skid plate and recently had the BDX intake installed. My question is has anyone done anything to stop snow from packing between the nose and the skid plate? This caused a deep pow bog for the first time with this sled. Before anyone asks, i do have the shock tower vents also, but all were plugged!

Thanx in advance!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i have the bdx intake and a skinz float plate, the front two strips are always plugged but the side ones allways are clear, the plate keeps stuff from hitting the side vents and ripping them. i also drilled some holes in the very front of the intake cover to get some of the air coming through the factory vents

B
Dec 21, 2006
Cut the skid plate so only the center rib is covered. This will still give you the protection and keep the snow packing from happening

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
The skid plate is mainly to protect the very bottom from stumps and rocks. Why not cut off the bumper portion in front of the vents?

I also drill the cover out over the air box and just made and started running this center hood vent and it makes a huge difference in the available air to the air box.

TMS #1.jpg IMAG0070.jpg

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I cut the wings off my plate and put Mo-Flows on the outside and the frogskins on the inside. I do a lot of buldozing in the woods and have had very good luck with this.

IMG_20101215_214004.jpg

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
my skins plate is about 2" away from the nose, it acually pushes snow away from the intake and i have NEVER had a bog issue, and i have wacked alot of stuff with it and never torn a vent

A
Nov 10, 2008
SK/AB
my skins plate is about 2" away from the nose, it acually pushes snow away from the intake and i have NEVER had a bog issue, and i have wacked alot of stuff with it and never torn a vent

Do you have a picture of your sled with the pan and intake setup?

Thanks

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I just cut mine off where it goes from flat to the nose part of it, and put some self tappers there. Does fill with snow or anything, so it works for me.

Like AKMODSHOP i've always thought the skid plates were more for bottom protection.

S

slojoe13

May 6, 2008
Westminster, CO
My skid plate is only 3/4" away from the nose, so snow packs in there easily especially after a 5 day trip! AKmodshop, my mod shop told me i could me i could remove the inside cover, but it would defeat the purpose of a "true" cold air intake. I have every hood and side vent XXXmodrods offers and a gauge cage. I have never had a heat issue!

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

Premium Features