• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ski's wont come off !!! wtf!!

A
Jul 5, 2001
Lewiston, ID
Trying to get the skis changed out and I cant get the damn bolt removed, took the nut off , can spin the bolt by hand but cant get the bolt to slide out. WTF ? already tried banging on it with a hammer. Am I missing something here ?

D

dale dalueg

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 3, 2011
Take the weight off of the front end. Thread the nut on so you have at least 4 to 6 full turns on the nut.

Now give it a good sharp hit with a hammer. You won't mess up the threads doing it this way.

If that doesn't work you may need to get creative.......

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Is there any way you could have bent it just enough that it hangs up instead of sliding out? I did that on a trailing arm bolt once. Only way to get it out was BFH it flush with the hole, then get the ratchet on it and basically make it back itself out by the threads. PIA, but it beat replacing all the bracing pieces.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Put it on the lift.

Make sure you take the nut off.

Shove a bunch of grease in the zerk.
That's good, now a little more for good measure.

Shoot a lot of wd/40 in both ends of the bolt.

Apply rubber mallet to the appropriate end of the bolt.

Put the space-heater on it.

Let sit during dinner.

Call me in the morning.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If the spacer has frozen to the bolt then you are probably out of luck... if the BFH doesn't move it then you'll have to cut the bolt.

I use a sawzall with a fine blade and run the blade down past the ski between the ski and the spindle, cutting the bolt. Repeat on other side of ski, ski falls off. Buy new bolt and spacer. When reassembling coat liberally with anti-seaze.

sled_guy

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I had this problem on my older sleds as well.

When the sleds are new, it would be smart to disassemble and get some grease on those bolts.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
If the spacer has frozen to the bolt then you are probably out of luck... if the BFH doesn't move it then you'll have to cut the bolt.

I use a sawzall with a fine blade and run the blade down past the ski between the ski and the spindle, cutting the bolt. Repeat on other side of ski, ski falls off. Buy new bolt and spacer. When reassembling coat liberally with anti-seaze.

sled_guy

x2.. And you get to play with one of your tools.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I usually hit it with my bigger purse... lol

Just kidding of course, i hate when those stupid things do that pb blaster does wonders on these sort of things.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
On my Poo edge the bolt was extremely rusted to the bushings, and the bushing was extremely rusted to the spindle. Ended up cutting the bolt to save the old ski then buying a new spindle/bushing/bolt.

I tried heat, sledge hammer, PB blaster after cutting the bolt and removing the spindle from the sled. None of that worked, so it went in the trash. Maybe if I still had access to a big *** press I could have saved the spindle, but oh well.

Same deal on my old Poo wedge too. Now I grease everything each summer.

Premium Features