• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long inline trailer needed to fit 4 163 sleds? Ecoboost owners chime in also!

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Just wondering how long of a trailer is needed to fit 4 163" sleds? I know 24' is enough in a 8.5' wide but not sure on the inline style? Also would like to tow with a F150 ecoboost at freeway speeds or 5 mph over. 75-80 mph will it do this and get 8 mpg or better?

Tried pulling a 8.5 x 24 enclosed aluminum drive in drive out with ecoboost with the 3:73 gears
at 75 last year and it was getting under 6 mpg on flat ground with no winds loaded with 4 sleds. This won't cut it for a 1000 mile run one way from MN.

Give me your thoughts. Trying to avoid buying a diesel but may have no choice.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Take a broomhandle, tape on a piece of chalk, and sketch the footprint of sled on concrete. Then could transfer those dimensions to paper and make as many as needed to see how they fit in various trailer sizes.

Surprised the eco fared that poorly. I wouldn't have guessed that low. Running stock size tires? I understand you on the drive. We have 1200 mile round trip and I figure 9mpg out of my gmc 6.0 with 4.10 gears and one size up on tires pulling 2 place open. Alternating trips w/other guys diesel, he might get 10-11 but the cost of diesel is higher so comes out about the same, but with a diesel there is definitely no lack of power.

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
I was surprised also. Truck is all stock. Thought that was going to be the ticket. That trailer sits high and is fairly tall so it pulls hard. Guys in our group that pull it with their diesels say it pulls harder than their 30' plus fifth wheel campers. Hoping an inline and ecoboost is a decent combo?

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I've only had an ecoboost for a couple of weeks, but here is what I have realized.
It can make more useable power than the other gassers,
It can get as good of mileage as the other gassers.
It cannot do both at the same time.

I think your mpg goal is realistic, you may (or may not) have to adjust your speed to meet your goal?

Where are you at in MN?
I have a 7x27 Aluma you could hook onto & take for a drive if you want to get a feel for it?
I am confident a 7x27 will fit 4 163" sleds

Last edited:
B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
I have an 11 Eco @ 65,000 miles and have towed a fair amount! Unless something is mechanically off with your pick-up, then I would say that you are trying to drive it like a V-8. By that I mean that if you do not have a way to read boost, then you don't know if you are pulling 2 lbs. or 8 lbs. it is that subtle!
The absolute best money that you could spend on your f-150 is a custom tune from Southern Speed Inc. you will add power and mileage and blow your mind!
I don't even want to hear about warranty BS as the OEM tune is absolutely ****!

As far as your other issue, a tape measure is your friend!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
That towing mileage with the Eco is spooky.

I've got a '12 supercrew with the 5.0 3.73 and stock tires. I pulled my 18' trailer to Idaho last winter with 3 people and 3 sleds. There are some windy stretches and some decent hills to pull. 10 mpg over, 9 mpg back. If the hill didn't have any nasty corners, I pulled every hill at 70 mph.

Different trailers do pull harder than others though. There are some in our group that I won't pull anymore.

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
I've only had an ecoboost for a couple of weeks, but here is what I have realized.
It can make more useable power than the other gassers,
It can get as good of mileage as the other gassers.
It cannot do both at the same time.

I think your mpg goal is realistic, you may (or may not) have to adjust your speed to meet your goal?

Where are you at in MN?
I have a 7x27 Aluma you could hook onto & take for a drive if you want to get a feel for it?
I am confident a 7x27 will fit 4 163" sleds

Thanks for the offer I'm in central mn east of St Cloud. Sounds like you setup is what I'm looking into. Let me know how it pulls that trailer when you get around to it.

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
I don't know about spooky! Towing mileage should run from around 9 to 12 depending on load, speed, and conditions. About the same for a diesel, maybe a bit higher? But when you factor in the fuel cost and maintenance difference, the Eco is a better all around choice, but may not be for everybody? I generally get 16 to 17 running empty at 80!
Put an SSI tune on and prepare to be amazed!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thanks for the offer I'm in central mn east of St Cloud. Sounds like you setup is what I'm looking into. Let me know how it pulls that trailer when you get around to it.

I have pulled a 8 1/2 wide tall car trailer ( approx. 1500 lbs inside) in little/no wind at 65 & got 8 mpg.

Power should not be an issue.

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks guys! It had the power to pull that trailer just the mileage was very poor. I hooked a chevy 8.1 liter gas up to the same trailer and made the same test run and the mileage was around 8 but it actually had a harder time holding 75 mph.

I want to pull the trigger on a ecoboost and try it, just hoping I don't regret it on the first trip out. Will have to get a smaller trailer also. Thinking a 7x27 inline?

Last edited:

snow7

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Have the same setup you are looking at. Ecoboost and pull a 27 ft enclosed inline trailer. Pickup pulls the trailer great has good power for it. One trip out west we got a little over 10 and the next was a little over 9 driving 75-80 most the way. Came from a 12 6.7 diesel pulling a 8.5 wide deck over. The eco is no diesel but pulls the inline just fine an the cost of driving i way lower than the tonner diesel. I wouldnt go shorter than 27 for 4 long tracks you still have a little room for luggage and fuel

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
My buddy had a 12 ecoboost with a 27ft. inline last year. We had 4 154's in it. They all fit but it was really tight! I would personally go 29 if i was buying one. That being said it didn't seem to tow very good behind that truck at all! Plenty of motor and we got in the 8-10 range but the truck seemed to get blown all over the road towing it. We towed it with a 12 F-350 diesel and only got 8 mpg too. I really dont think you will see much better mileage out of a diesel but the truck will probably be alot more stable. Maybe if the ecoboost you are getting has the 6.5ft. box and the max tow it will handle it and not sway around so much?

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Hey Projectprox, just west of St. Cloud here. I have a 7' x 27' inline with a 6' interior that Ive made about 5 trips to MT and back with over the last few years. The trailer pulls great even in the wind and I would definitely recommend an inline. If the trailer you were pulling was a deckover that would explain why it pulled so hard. I've put 5 136-141" sleds in this trailer without much issue, but 5 was tight. 4 163"s should not be a problem. We generally run one in forward and one in backward in the back of the trailer so we can fit them side by side and then run two in from the front pointing toward the rear. This allows plenty of room by the door for gear and tools. I will be pulling the trailer with an ecoboost this year and am anxious to see how it will do. Pulling it empty on the freeway so far at 75 ive gotten around 10 mpg. Ive pulled this trailer loaded multiple trips each with an 03 duramax and an 05 Yukon XL with an 8.1. The diesel got 9-11 mpg and had plenty of power and was stable. The 8.1 did 6.5-8.5 mpg and was a little lacking on some of the hills, but also stable. The F150 seems heavier sprung than the Yukon and definitely has more power. If I get 9-11 loaded Ill be more than happy with that at $.80 a gallon cheaper than diesel. A set of swaybars and maybe upgrading to some decent truck tires will make a big difference in sway and load control.

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I think I've made my mind up and also switched the way I'm going to go. I found a used 07' Duramax I'm going to try and if I don't like it I can sell it again in a year and get most of my money back out of it. If I buy a new Ecoboost and don't like I think I will be taking a pretty good hit. I can also stick with pulling the 8.5 wide trailer that we always take out west. Maybe Ford will answer back to Chevy's new 6.2 liter with 460lbs. of torque in the next year or two. Ecoboost with 500lbs. torque would be perfect! Would also like to give that 6.2 a run and see what it can do.

P

projectprox

Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Anything over 10mpg is excellent pulling. Most diesels we've made the trip with get 8-10 at freeways speeds. Of course there is always a headwind of about 20-30mph it seems!

B

bboll

Mar 28, 2012
Hey guys I wanted to bring this thread up again. It has been a couple months now, has anyone with an ecoboost made the trip from MN - west? I'm curious how the ecoboost did with an inline 7x27/29 and/or an open 4 place? I have a 12' screw 5.5' ecoboost with the max tow (3.73 gears). We are planning on taking it to yellowstone via 94 (ND wind sucks) towing a open floe 4 place with salt sheild. The group wants to get a enclosed but only one guy in the group runs a deisel.

Curious about head and side wind, sway, tranny temps, pulling gear/rpms and of course mpgs...

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
The biggest fuel saver there is is your right foot. No truck will get any kind of mileage towing an enclosed trailer at 75mph plus. Even backing off to 70 would save, 65 is better though. Might take slightly longer to get there but saves lots of wear and tear plus fuel!

Just towing my little 2 place enclosed with a 5.4 F150 I can get as low as 8 to 9 mpg if I have to travel that fast (usually following someone else). Kick the speed down to 65 and it gets from 10 to 13.

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Just made the trip from mn to Yellowstone on Tuesday night with my 13 ecoboost supercrew shortbox with 3.55 gears pulling a 27' enclosed inline. Trailer weighs 3500 plus three sleds and gear/tools. Truck worked better than I expected and I am very impressed overall. Had good roads running 70 with 10-30 mph headwind or worse the entire trip. Got 8 mpg on the way out, will see how it does on the way back as I've gained 2 mpg on almost every vehicle I've made this run with. Used a load leveling hitch and had very little sway in anything except 50 mph crosswinds by Livingston. Truck shifted very smooth and would hold 6th in a lot of areas. Only saw 4th on the long climbs with power to spare. Rpm's barely over 3000. Always ran 1900 to 2100. Will report more after we get back.

Premium Features