• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondockers/Carls Cycle Turbo Ride Report

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Headed up to Idaho this weekend to get my sled and was able to ride the new Boondockers Turbo set up by Carls Cycle. We had 2 '13 turbos and 2 Carls Cycle 900's. First off, the snow was marginal at best, but enough to put on 25-30 miles and make sure everything ran ok. We unloaded at Brundage Ski resort in McCall and headed up the road. My set up is a 162(Power Claw) 800 Pro with 2863 Tial and intercooler. I have to say, without a doubt, this is the best running turbo I have ever run!!! We started at 6lbs boost and went up to 11lbs on boost on 33% race fuel. I swear these things start building boost right after engagement, but the biggest thing I noticed as how quickly they spool. It feels a lot like the billet turbo on my truck. Very very smooth and the on/off throttle response was spot on. No bogging or gurggles from the turbo. Boondockers real hit a home run with this one. We never changed a number in the box and all I did was keep increasing the boost. The all in one box/ebc is very nice as well. No DET, no belt drive problem and miraculously my drive shaft didnt break! This set up rocks and I cant wait to ride again!!!! And FYI....the other '13 Turbo identical to mine ran just as good.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I call BS... according to the forums, your belt drives should have blown apart and the driveshafts shouldn't have made it more than 2 miles. :face-icon-small-win

Looking forward to getting a real ride in soon!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
LOL.....thats right Phatty huh??

So the 900s rock. I have NEVER rode a sled with such good throttle response. Carls Cycle has the 900 dialed!! It pulls hard off the bottom.....only sled I have ever rode that pulled that hard on botom was my 1140 twin. But talk about smooth. The 900s run very good....so good both Chris Burandt and Sahen Skinner are riding them this year. I would say the 900s run with a turbo until 6-7lbs. Anything above that the turbos pull away. I would say a 900 would make the ideal boondocking sled.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
you have to be fibbing about the belt drive and the drive shaft not breaking... they are obviously not made to handle stock power so there is no way they can handle boost. do you work for polaris? :bounce:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
HAHA.

Anthony....lets start a 50/50 contest.

We should put some money in the kitty, and peeps can lay down a date they think you'll total your sled out this year.

50% goes legal funds for riding access suits.

HAHA

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Headed up to Idaho this weekend to get my sled and was able to ride the new Boondockers Turbo set up by Carls Cycle. We had 2 '13 turbos and 2 Carls Cycle 900's. First off, the snow was marginal at best, but enough to put on 25-30 miles and make sure everything ran ok. We unloaded at Brundage Ski resort in McCall and headed up the road. My set up is a 162(Power Claw) 800 Pro with 2863 Tial and intercooler. I have to say, without a doubt, this is the best running turbo I have ever run!!! We started at 6lbs boost and went up to 11lbs on boost on 33% race fuel. I swear these things start building boost right after engagement, but the biggest thing I noticed as how quickly they spool. It feels a lot like the billet turbo on my truck. Very very smooth and the on/off throttle response was spot on. No bogging or gurggles from the turbo. Boondockers real hit a home run with this one. We never changed a number in the box and all I did was keep increasing the boost. The all in one box/ebc is very nice as well. No DET, no belt drive problem and miraculously my drive shaft didnt break! This set up rocks and I cant wait to ride again!!!! And FYI....the other '13 Turbo identical to mine ran just as good.
How did you like running the EBC/Fuel Box all in one? I really like my EBC since its very easy to see current boost level. Seems like you lose that feature. What are your thoughts?

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I believe there is a live boost number displayed on the controller face so you don't lose the feature of seeing instantly how much you are building.

Premium Features