• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder coat or paint axys a arms?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I have changed out a few belts and never had the tools to change it. IMO, just having a couple zip strips to hold the belt so that it mimics the exact shape that it would have when installed and a second person to rotate the jackshaft are the 2 keys to make it possible.

Whaaaaaaat???? Thinking this was meant for another thread?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I was going to do low temp Powder Coat on mine and found out there are not many colors available. So I ended up getting my custom color mixed to match my graphics and went with Acrylic Enamel automotive paint with hardener. Spraying with a paint gun. I also using a an etch primer first. I figured for the money if anything happens I will have some left over paint to do another arm or 2 if needed. Also, I have a few other little components of the sled I wanted in this special color.

I will let you know how it turn out. Should be painting sometime next week.

ProRide800155

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
could you use the por 15 on the running boards and suspension rails?

I did turned out great!! I don't know how long it will last on running boards but I powder coated them on my 13 and it didn't last the first season where my feet where a lot! But I figured it wouldn't be to hard or expensive to fix it in the off season this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
Did you paint them on the sled or take the a arms off?

I took everything off and painted them. Obviously the bulkhead stayed on though..lol. Like MH said, prep is important. It came out so good with a nice semi gloss finish that is super hard. My only concern is that the A-arms are so flexible and the paint is so hard that it will begin to prematurely crack with upon flexing. Probably over thinking it but just a thought.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
What is the best way to get rod ends out of arms without damaging them?

No damage will occur, if you only press on the outside race (whether removing or re-installing them). Slow steady pressure is easier on them (like a vice or press), but a hammer can be used in a pinch, just be sure to support the A-arm socket properly and only press on the outside race.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Sneak Peak. Here is one of my A-arms. I will show the rest of the sled when it is all put together.

I sprayed them myself with PPG OMNI MAE Acrylic Enamel and a Paint gun. Primed with metal etching primer. So far the surface seems tough and is sticking well.

Didn't want to get the high temperature baking of powder coat and low temp didn't offer much for colors. I had a particular hi viz yellow in mind. Had it mixed to match the hi viz on my graphics.

23324222355_3695dc9d9e_c.jpg

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
This^^^ gets my vote...

Save your money for the new aftermarket arms you are going to end up buying anyway.

Possibly but I am not one that jumps to conclusions and spend money just because some have had problems. Learned a long time ago some things you read on the internet do not come true. I will do my own testing and based on that will buy arms if needed.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Possibly but I am not one that jumps to conclusions and spend money just because some have had problems. Learned a long time ago some things you read on the internet do not come true. I will do my own testing and based on that will buy arms if needed.

Great minds think alike. Hey if I bend one, I'll upgrade to a set of KMODZ with a 36" front end. If not, I'll spend that money on gas! No sense in spending it before you really know you need to based off of somebody on the internet saying they bent an arm.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Great minds think alike. Hey if I bend one, I'll upgrade to a set of KMODZ with a 36" front end. If not, I'll spend that money on gas! No sense in spending it before you really know you need to based off of somebody on the internet saying they bent an arm.

Just my opinion because... I bent an a-arm. Same one twice actually.

It doesn't take a very close inspection to see where the stress relief point was designed into the arms. They are bending as designed... lol

That said, I have a new stock lower on the left side now. Giving them another shot but it will be the last one.

Premium Features