• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Honest Review of 850 still in “ Break In”

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
We have many axys 800’s with hard Dyno hours plus beat down riding and continually racing and have not had this problem that your talking about? A couple went down cuz of crank seals with 6-7000 hard miles. In my opinion. Their reliable as any other best 2 stroke.

I hear you but some of these mountain sleds with extreme riders that never take breaks will have their motors go through incredible load cycles that just can't be duplicated in any other environment.

3-5 feet of powder at 35ish mph track speed all day is loading these motors like you wouldn't believe.

Now as far as the locating pin issue that Tony and a few others have seen has me wondering if the PI jacked the timing just a tad too high for MY18? Kind of like the '13 Pro's.

I have not been able to confirm this but I'd sure like to know. Generally, locating pin failure is either defective manufacturing processes or detonation.

I know Tony runs quality fuel and rides at the highest elevations possible. And prior to last year, locating pin failures had not even been worth tracking.

'18 also has cooling system upgrades over previous years that have helped.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i am a lawyer with a large law firm

I'm try to get a hold of this "Rock" and see if i can represent
it in a law suit against this senseless violence
if anyone has information about this victim
location,color or size it would be very help full
thanks Dick

#Rocksarerockstoo

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
i am a lawyer with a large law firm

I'm try to get a hold of this "Rock" and see if i can represent
it in a law suit against this senseless violence
if anyone has information about this victim
location,color or size it would be very help full
thanks Dick

#Rocksarerockstoo

Come to Alaska for lawsuits.

Earthquake damage hadn’t even settled and folks were threatening lawsuits.

Crazy people panicking and buying everything in the stores that are open.
Lines at gas stations.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Come to Alaska for lawsuits.

Earthquake damage hadn’t even settled and folks were threatening lawsuits.

Crazy people panicking and buying everything in the stores that are open.
Lines at gas stations.

Yah, my parents are at their winter place in Hawaii, have a neighbor checking out their place on Fire Lake. Seems like house is OK, but everything in it is upside down and or broken.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
You can take one engine in a mountain sled and another in a flatlander sled, there is no way to compare durability. Different environment. Back in AK, we had an ice race where there was a 3 mile straight, to the bar at 100mph on a 440. No engine or belt issues. Here in Idaho on a mountain sled, a 30 second WFO pull makes some heat and is hard on sleds. I part sleds for a living, the average "worn out" sled here is 3000 miles, anything with 4000 that is anything but a trail burner is DONE. Trash. I see competitors on Ebay listing comparable parts as mine with 3000 miles that have 8000 miles on them.
Iron Dog guys run WFO to the bar for many miles. We blow belts if we run WFO for half a mile on mountain sleds. Yes, ID sleds are 600s, but same applies.

H

HSR

Nov 28, 2007
Atikokan,Ont
We have many axys 800’s with hard Dyno hours plus beat down riding and continually racing and have not had this problem that your talking about? A couple went down cuz of crank seals with 6-7000 hard miles. In my opinion. Their reliable as any other best 2 stroke.

Most of the issues I know of with the 800's last year centered around the titanium wrist pins you sold guys and their motors all blew up? You still ripping guys off with the titanium wrist pin/Cat piston BS???

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I rode a 850 155 on Sunday directly after getting off of my 2018 800 155 that I am very used to. I can say the new 850's front end is much easier to tip. I was able to make much tighter turns with less effort. I did not feel awkward at all. As far as the power it was noticably different and more but not by a huge margin.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What could happen to seize the engine in 5 miles?
Seen one this weekend, the owner said it felt like a broken crank, by the way it ran before it locked up.
Is the dealer responsible for oil system?
Doesn't the computer control the oil?

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
What could happen to seize the engine in 5 miles?
Seen one this weekend, the owner said it felt like a broken crank, by the way it ran before it locked up.
Is the dealer responsible for oil system?
Doesn't the computer control the oil?

Yes the computer controls the oil system..

A
The one thing I didn’t like about not adding in break in oil to the fuel tank was the fear of air bubbles in the oil injection lines. Solely relying on the oil pump to deliver the oil on innitial first ride.
Assuming that possible could have been that fella issue?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The one thing I didn’t like about not adding in break in oil to the fuel tank was the fear of air bubbles in the oil injection lines. Solely relying on the oil pump to deliver the oil on innitial first ride.
Assuming that possible could have been that fella issue?
Cat is the same, no oil in fuel anymore....
I feel the same nervousness...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I know the sled your talking about, broke the crank. They where having issues with it since they got it, something about gas being where it shouldn’t be and the dealer “fixed” it.
Thanks,
Stuff like this will happen with mass production, i don't think it's sign of what's coming. Crummy it happened though.

I really think 2019 is Polaris's best sled to date. That new front end is gonna make it more fun than ever.

Premium Features