• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

super lightweight pro

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Easily possible given no finacial limitation.

There is over 30lbs in plastic alone you can take off the sled.

There is a material out there better than carbon fiber for the aluminum parts, but i dont know if its possible to get.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
lots of other exotic materials to replace many things we know... and drop a LOT of weight.

cubic dollars is truely the only way to describe how things get that much lighter

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
You know if burandt was riding Yamaha everyone would be to! Because he would be riding the same way he is now! Who cares what your sled weighs especially dry, don't know of anyone that rides dry!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
You know if burandt was riding Yamaha everyone would be to! ………………………….

I venomously disagree! I don't base my buying decisions on the clown the factory pays to market the sled, regardless of who that clown is, or how good he or she can ride. I never rode Cat (back when he did, just because he did) and I sure as he!! will not ride a Yammy regardless of who the factory puts on it.

However there are a lot of people that think like you and it would be the best marketing move Yammy ever did to get Burandt, Rasmussen, and other well known riders to ride their stuff. They would still be the fourth manufacturer by a fair margin but far closer than they are today.

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
That's to bad you really don't know what your missing! Lets see a sled that needs definite upgraded parts but everyone does that to whatever sled they ride anyways, a motor that will run for way more than a season! and when your running 280 HP or more you don't really notice the extra weight. I finally rode one the the gods gift to snowmobiling the other day and was completely disappointed I thought I wad going to be in heaven and then I realized its still just a big pile of poo with absolutely no power at all.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
400 horse and 400 pounds, 200 horse and 200 pounds, which do you think will handle better? Same power to weight ratio...but there is more that comes into play than that. This is an extreem example, but you get the picture. Big turbocharged thumpers are awesome for slaying chutes and dominating big long open climbs for sure. But bring one along with our group sometime...you wont have any fun cause you cant use all that power and you still have the weight....

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
O that super weird I ride really tight trees in fact that's all I ride so don't really know where your going with that?!!!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
O that super weird I ride really tight trees in fact that's all I ride so don't really know where your going with that?!!!

what do you ride? and post up some videos of your "tight trees" if you don't mind. it always makes me laugh when the guys north of the boarder post up "tree riding" videos and you can actually count how many trees are on the hill spaced way to far apart. "tight tree riding" to me is no larger than 4-5ft gaps between trees for long periods of time and enough trees that you can't see more than 10-20 feet ahead at a time and throw in some steepness to boot. It is not physically possible to ride a yamaha, no matter how much power it has, through tight technical tress as fluently and easy as you can on a pro,xm, or proclimb if at all for that matter.

Last edited:

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
You guys are all the same! I just took a group out that said those exact words so we took them to some super fun tight steep spots and the only thing on top of the hills where the Yamahas in fact all they could do is come up with ecucess and trash talk just like this! I'm not bagging on the other sleds just stating a point that the heavy sleds kick *** to with the right rider. Look at Chris brown he rides Yamaha and does everything everyone else does. The trees we ride are exactly what your saying its a bar bashing good time for sure.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
You guys are all the same! I just took a group out that said those exact words so we took them to some super fun tight steep spots and the only thing on top of the hills where the Yamahas in fact all they could do is come up with ecucess and trash talk just like this! I'm not bagging on the other sleds just stating a point that the heavy sleds kick *** to with the right rider. Look at Chris brown he rides Yamaha and does everything everyone else does. The trees we ride are exactly what your saying its a bar bashing good time for sure.

To me, its not so much the performance, or power, its the handling. Sure, if you give a 180 thousand pound semi truck enough power, it will go as fast as a ferari. But how do you think it will handle on the track? Not well would be an understatement. Given 2 sleds, with identical 1:2 power to weight ratios, one weighing 400 pounds with 200 hp, one 600 pounds with 300 hp, the lighter one will always be more nimble. You will be able to pull off manuvers far more easily than with a havier sled. This is a gross oversimplification, but the fact remains. Dont get me wrong, big horse thumpers are bad ***, no question about it. But a ferari the yamis are not. More like a hopped up diesel pickup. Faster than alot of sportscars, but only in a straight line.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
You know if burandt was riding Yamaha everyone would be to! Because he would be riding the same way he is now! Who cares what your sled weighs especially dry, don't know of anyone that rides dry!

But if Burandt was riding a Yamaha he would probably only make 1/2 day rides or take every other day off due to exhaustion....

nottyn8

Premium Member
Sep 15, 2013
Reno, Nevaduh
You guys really need to get off the keyboard and go riding. Although comical, this thread is supposed to be about lightweight Pro's... which i would rather be reading about, not your playground fight.:face-icon-small-win

A
Dec 19, 2011
Weird idea i had, I dont even have an rmk, but this would save alot of weight, simplify the 800 and be more reliable (far less can go wrong)

dmax makes these injector block off plates for the current 800 cfi cylinders

The newest 600iqr uses the same bottom end as the 800 cfi, D max makes the block offs so you can take the cylinders and top end from a 800cfi and put in on a iqr race sled

http://www.dmax.ca/#!polaris-800iqr

Instead, take the motor, gauge and ignition out of a 600 race sled, slap the 800 topend on it with a 858 big bore, Run lectron 42mm carbs on premix. (or bore out the race carbs off the 600, I like the idea of lectrons for the temp and altitude compensation)

it would last longer than the 800cfi with its efi and oil injection, Giving the motor a constant 32:1 of finely atomized fuel in through the bottom end would keep the bearings and topend very happy. And save a ton of weight getting rid of all the efi and oil injection system as well. (kiss my arse epa)

win win win. if i had the money its what i would build. But I am a huge fan of simple.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Weird idea i had, I dont even have an rmk, but this would save alot of weight, simplify the 800 and be more reliable (far less can go wrong)

dmax makes these injector block off plates for the current 800 cfi cylinders

The newest 600iqr uses the same bottom end as the 800 cfi, D max makes the block offs so you can take the cylinders and top end from a 800cfi and put in on a iqr race sled

http://www.dmax.ca/#!polaris-800iqr

Instead, take the motor, gauge and ignition out of a 600 race sled, slap the 800 topend on it with a 858 big bore, Run lectron 42mm carbs on premix. (or bore out the race carbs off the 600, I like the idea of lectrons for the temp and altitude compensation)

it would last longer than the 800cfi with its efi and oil injection, Giving the motor a constant 32:1 of finely atomized fuel in through the bottom end would keep the bearings and topend very happy. And save a ton of weight getting rid of all the efi and oil injection system as well. (kiss my arse epa)

win win win. if i had the money its what i would build. But I am a huge fan of simple.

That's what it's going to take to hit the 350 lb #.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is one reader with an 156 X3 equipped, Carbon and Ti PRO came in at 384 wet/no gas on accurate race scales. Maybe he'll chime in here

Take off heavy track and drivers... 470 is possible.

Go with WE airs and a carbon tunnel and rails... 350-360.. Wet/no gas.

Do the carbed version... I see 345 possible.

I think that Burandt's 399 lb turbo was Dry/Dry (like the factory measures)

Premium Features