• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

running a pod air filter ?

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
I am thinking of puting a pod filter on my 2000 700. I was thinking of cutting the hole though my hood were the pre filter is and having it stickout of the hood. Has any one done this? Jetting? Would i have to change sence i will be getting more air? I will post some mock up pics...:d

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Stick with the air box.

Your talking about attaching something to the carbs and then snorkeling them out the top of the sled? Or are you going to attach a snorkel to the top of the airbox.

I've run heavy mod 700s with the stock air box gutted and never had an issue of not getting enough air.

sled_guy

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
Stick with the air box.

Your talking about attaching something to the carbs and then snorkeling them out the top of the sled? Or are you going to attach a snorkel to the top of the airbox.

I've run heavy mod 700s with the stock air box gutted and never had an issue of not getting enough air.

sled_guy

I WAS THINKING OF ATTACHING TO THE TOP OF AIR BOX. AIR NOT A ISSUE JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD LOOK COOL :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I would stick with the gutted stock airbox. Thats what I did and it works great.

T
I have done it it sucks in alot of cold air didnt have to rejet or anything you just need to glue a piece of like the airbox foam to either your hood or the foam on the airbox so the cold air goes straight into the airbox works great

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Remove airbox from sled. Pop it in half(just push the tabs through), remove shelf, put airbox back together and install on sled. You can also get the 'Big Mouth' airbox top from SLP.

well that's so simple I can screw it up and take 2 or 3 beers to get it done.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
As for rejetting, it depends on where you are now. Rule of thumb says, you raise the jetting up one size for the gutted airbox. However, if you are currently running stock jetting and do not ride below stock jetting altitude, you should be ok. Stock jetting for Polaris is typically 2 sizes higher for a safety margin. If you want to keep that safety margin, bring your jetting up one size. I recommend that you do some tuning on the hill.

Yes, you will see a performance increase. More responsive bottom end as well as a better top end. More air = more HP.

I used a 4" PVC pipe and attached it to my airbox, then I put a 4" to 5" or 6" rubber adapter on and put a short piece of PVC in it to hold that special SLP material over the PVC and inside the adapter. It sits directly above an SLP vent. Everything is under the hood and it looks pretty slick and draws a lot of cold air in. I will try to get a few pics of it if you would like.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
From the looks of my pictures, I would recommend using stainless steel or aluminum straping. ooopppss

Remember this fits right up to a large SLP vent in my hood. The cover on it is from an SLP inside draw airbox, but are sold separately also.

ab1.jpg ab2.jpg ab5.jpg

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I like it

I like how that looks, I have been trying to figure out something similar, but was going to use a cone filter up through the hood. I think I like this better.

N

NINJIN

Nov 29, 2007
From the looks of my pictures, I would recommend using stainless steel or aluminum straping. ooopppss

Remember this fits right up to a large SLP vent in my hood. The cover on it is from an SLP inside draw airbox, but are sold separately also.

is that an xlt airbox?? it looks like it. How does that setup work?

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I just left the stock airbox top on there and the pulled the pos foam sponge out of my dash. Then I took and fabbed up some vent frames using some scrap diamond plate that resemble the slp vents for an edge. covered them with florite material and they work perfect.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Nope, Gen II airbox. Heavily modded. Gutted, tabs are replaced with siliconed bolts and windshield rubbers for easy top removal.

It works really well. Not too heavy either. With the SLP large flowrite vent and the flowrite material, I never get snow in and rarely get any steam into the carbs. I like the inside draw too, but she does run better with the outside air. There is about 1/2 inch between the top and the vent in the hood, that way if the hood is covered with snow, I am still getting air in.

Premium Features