For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Currently: Not set.
Yaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default what 1/2 ton $20k to get?

Looking to finally get a crew cab to haul 4 some times 5 people to mountains. Each trip averages 2,000 miles, while Revy trips will probably be around the 3k mile range. Haul an open place 20ft 4 place with 4 to 5 sleds on. So not too much weight.

Current set up is a 2000 silverado extended cab 5.3 liter. This has pulled 5 sleds up at 8k feet but gets pushed a touch to far. Get 10 mpg avg.

Looking for a little higher mileage and more comfort. What can I get for around 15 to 20k? Want under 100k miles. This keeps pointing me towards Dodge Ram 1500. What years are good and what to stay away from. Last dodge I had was a 2003 and a pile of garbage mechanically.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,098 Times in 541 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

honestly, only way to improve mileage is to go with a diesel.
All the gassers are real close in fuel consumption towing. Some have more power than others, more power will use more fuel though.
In reality, what ur looking for is a nicer truck with 4 full size doors.
Crew cab will burn more fuel than an ext. Cab.
As for price, FCA will net u the newest vehicle. may not be the best though?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Wintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond reputeWintertime has a reputation beyond repute
Default what 1/2 ton $20k to get?

Dodge is still pile of garbage.
The gas motors. I like the Diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wintertime; 08-30-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Ya towing with a gas motor in the winter you might as well get used to the 10mpg cause that's roughly what they're all going to get. Diesel will do slightly better, but used diesels are also more money and typically have more miles.

I find the Tundra's stand up the best out of the 1/2 tons as mileage and years accumulate. The 5.7L has tons of power, but gas mileage isn't its strong suit. You can probably get a used Ecoboost in that price range no prob...that will definitely tow the best engine wise out of any 1/2 ton. They can have some timing chain and valve train issues as mileage goes up. I wouldn't even buy a Dodge gas truck with some else's money....but that's just me

Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

$20k Id home in on 5.3s GM or 5.0 with 6 speed.
Have had both and they pull well. You’ll get more truck for your money than with a Eco boost cause the Ecos fetch a premium.
And don’t buy it in MN. Budget a little of your 20k to getting one from somewhere NOT in the salt belt. Cause 20k won’t buy you a low mile truck unless it’s halfwya to being a rust bucket.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:12 AM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,618 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423050

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Currently: Let it snow !!!
donbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Still looking? Id definitely do a diesel PLUS I would spend $500 to a grand and get Propane Injection. Get actual 20 to 50% better mileage so it pays for itself here in California with diesel at $4 a gallon.

Last edited by donbrown; 09-17-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM
dodgetruck2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrown View Post
Still looking? Id definitely do a diesel PLUS I would spend $500 to a grand and get Propane Injection. Get actual 20 to 50% better mileage so it pays for itself here in California with diesel at $4 a gallon.
must have better luck then some my buddy had propane on a 07 ram diesel and avg 1-2mpg I don't think that even offset the cost of the propane much less the kit

I recently switched from many years of cummins to a 5.7 hemi, guess im fairly impressed with how it pulls out, wish I was a little newer for the nicer cab the 6.4 option and the 6spd auto but for the deal I got I wont complain, 06-08 you can get the 1500 in a megacab which is built on 3/4 ton chassis so you get all the insurance benefits of a 1500 with the capability of a 2500, and you want to talk about comfortably seating 5 people, ive never stretched out in a Ford or Chevy like you can in the mega

truck tows my 30ft 5th wheel camper very well for a gas motor in my option, also have a couple buddys recently upgraded from 5.4 Ford and 6.0 Chevy to 5.7 Hemi's they're both definitely impressed with how well they pull

just make sure you get 3.73 gears or higher if you plan to tow a lot with it, anything less

just figured you needed an opinion from the other side, all these anti dodge people on here, I lack any valid opinion on any Fiat has control over, they're slowly ruining the Mopar division with their in house bs (cough) eco diesel (cough)

in defense of the others the ecoboost does seem like a power house but I know the owner of the local ford dealer pretty well and he admits the mileage isn't there towing or driving unless you drive it right from what hes seen and we have a 5.3chevy at work its fun to run around in too

2004 Polaris RMK 700 Vertical Escape 144" - SLP BigHorn Intake l SLP pipe l PERC l other mods in progress for 2018 season

Last edited by dodgetruck2; 11-15-2018 at 07:13 AM.