• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck trailer sled protection.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Going on a road trip in 4 days.

900 miles with sleds on an open sled deck on back of the truck.

No enclosed trailer option.

What is a good way to protect them?

I have a factory cover BUT I figure it will scratch / chaffing up the sled from the wind.

Was thinking to get some sort of sticker cover and peel off after trip completed? Kind of like how an electronic TV comes packaged.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
My factory cover has not scuffed the sled at all, I do haul with a trailer though so it is out of the wind more than on a sled deck. It seems to me that sleds on sled decks don't really get road grit on them as they are on the vehicle instead of behind it like with a trailer.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
If you know the roads will be clean, you can go without a cover, but 900 miles is a long way and you'll likely pick up salt/gunk. I'd cover the sleds. Get an under liner for the hood or a towel or two. Use pipe insulation to cover sharp running boards. If you have painted a-arms, zip tie pipe insulation on the uppers to prevent wear. Use bungee cords to keep stuff from flapping in the wind. Finally, expect your cover to get some holes. It's the sacrificial part. Patch and reuse. I trailer 2,200 miles round trip several times a season. The sleds always make the trip unharmed.
24a7306dd85177b588bf70435cad4004.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I never covered my sleds on my deck. Most of the time I just hauled one sled in the center of the deck, but I did make a few 1,000+ mile trips with 2 sleds. They got dirty, but nothing crazy, and they didnt get scratched or chipped from anything. When you get to where your going just find a car wash and rinse them off.

Its been about 15yrs since I messed with covers on an open trailer but I do remember if it was sloppy it was a pain to clean and store the cover once you took it off or needed to put it back on.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
unless your driving through really messy spring melt conditions uncovered sleds on the deck do incredibly well! just don't follow super close behind people and you wont have issues.

I run the factory cover on my axys and have a couple thousand miles on it so far this winter. Just make sure your sled is clean and so is the cover beforehand and you wont see any scuffing or anything weird.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Like posted above if you want to keep your plastic from scuff marks I'd run an undercover. I'm picky as he!! and that's what I do. I also only run factory premium covers, they come with a soft liner for the front. Made with a nylon type material and are made to fit your sled.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
make sure not to tree ride, wouldn't want to scratch your sled up.

LOL also wondering how you guys ride if you are concerned about the cover scratching the sled...

Anyways... Scratches don’t bother me but I do like having a clean sled. I had to go across the country once with no cover, I pulled the hood and panels off and basically laid a bath towel over the motor and then put the plastics back on. Prevents everything under the hood from getting covered in salt and chit. When you get to your destination find a car wash and spray the sled off.. and remember to pull the towel before you start your sled :face-icon-small-hap

They WILL get dirty on the deck, and a cover is your best option, otherwise get creative.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
LOL also wondering how you guys ride if you are concerned about the cover scratching the sled...

Anyways... Scratches don’t bother me but I do like having a clean sled. I had to go across the country once with no cover, I pulled the hood and panels off and basically laid a bath towel over the motor and then put the plastics back on. Prevents everything under the hood from getting covered in salt and chit. When you get to your destination find a car wash and spray the sled off.. and remember to pull the towel before you start your sled :face-icon-small-hap

They WILL get dirty on the deck, and a cover is your best option, otherwise get creative.

Ya ... I'm not interested in curb appeal BUT after buying 20 thousand plus in sleds with no miles / gas .... Id like to ride it and scratch it up riding instead of cleaning off all the bugs and road junk.

Luckily it rain 5 plus hours of the 12 hour drive ... Washed away most of the bugs.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Absolutely cover them. Tuneman is spot on with his advice. I have 10s of thousands of miles decking sleds all over the place, I ALWAYS cover them.

BTW, the doo cover is a POS and needs bungees to keep it alive. Spindles and around the bars or you can expect it to die a quick death.

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
I haul in an enclosed but if I had to haul a long distance on a deck or open trailer I would cover with industrial shrink wrap like what is used for winterizing boats. Rolls are available reasonably priced from uline.com

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I haul in an enclosed but if I had to haul a long distance on a deck or open trailer I would cover with industrial shrink wrap like what is used for winterizing boats. Rolls are available reasonably priced from uline.com
That would be just totally unnecessary. Just use a standard cover with a liner or towels underneath and the sled will be totally fine. The cover is really meant for preventing accumulation of salt/gunk. If you're worried about scratches/chaffing (which won't happen with a regular cover/liner) you're in the wrong sport.

If one must have a pristine sled, just buy new side panels when you're done bashing trees. It'd be cheaper and less hassle than shrink wrapping.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
That would be just totally unnecessary. Just use a standard cover with a liner or towels underneath and the sled will be totally fine. The cover is really meant for preventing accumulation of salt/gunk. If you're worried about scratches/chaffing (which won't happen with a regular cover/liner) you're in the wrong sport.

If one must have a pristine sled, just buy new side panels when you're done bashing trees. It'd be cheaper and less hassle than shrink wrapping.

My issue is all the darn BUGS. Temps can go from 100F+ to snow and the bugs bake onto the sled after riding thru the dessert

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I double up the covers on my open trailer. Factory cover on first, full body cover over the top. Keeps the sled reasonably clean in the worst of conditions. Full wash of entire sled once home.

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI

I could care less about a few scratches. My problem with covers on an open trailer is what to do with a big wet sloppy nasty cover for the 4/5 days I’m out riding when I get to my destination. If you leave it out side you need to make sure it doesn’t blow away in the wind, get buried in snow, and re freeze into what ever shape you left it in. Trying to bring it inside to dry if your staying in a motel room would be quite a hassle. My biggest concern would be keeping the salt out of the engine compartment. It’d cost less than $5 each time to shrink wrap a sled and be real easy to pack the roll and a heat gun. May not be for everyone but just throwing out an option for guys like me that drive 18+ hours from the Midwest to ride the mountains. Just another alternative to consider. I sprung for an enclosed trailer many years ago but not everyone has that option.

D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
I never covered my sleds on my deck. Most of the time I just hauled one sled in the center of the deck, but I did make a few 1,000+ mile trips with 2 sleds. They got dirty, but nothing crazy, and they didnt get scratched or chipped from anything. When you get to where your going just find a car wash and rinse them off.

Its been about 15yrs since I messed with covers on an open trailer but I do remember if it was sloppy it was a pain to clean and store the cover once you took it off or needed to put it back on.
Nothing like getting to your riding area and having to sit on wet sloppy mud all over the bars and seat. How can someone not bother to tarp a sled?? I sled deck a lot and unless it is a short distance and bone dry, I always tarp. Salt/grim and any road spray always gets above the deck height and covers the sled. Salt corrodes and makes the engine/pipe look like sh$t.

Premium Features