• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real world gas consumption?

J
Sep 9, 2015
First year snowbiker here and wondering what I “realistically” need to bring with everyday in the alpine. The group I go with we’ve always rode sleds tog they and I’m the guinea pig for the bike. Last sled was a ‘16 m8000 Ltd 162 3” and on the “big days” I’d have to dump one of my small mountain addiction cans in to get home. So if I was burning 8 1/2-10 gallons on average with my sled… what kind of crazy conversion rate should I figure for my bike? 17 crf450r and 17 Camso dts 129

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
if it's deep you will burn all the fuel you can carry

i carry the 3.3 MA can on my 450

ps find some more folks that have snowbikes
bikes and sleds don't really mix that well
at least that has been my experience

Last edited:

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Gas mileage

Prior to snowbikes I had an 800 etec summit. I find the bike consistanly does very close to double my sled, more than double some older cats and rmks. Only once in two years (back after dark) did I use all the 5 gals, 2 in tank, three in jug. But, I don't push the bike as hard as some.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
When our crew heads out on a FUN ride day. ( 6" - 18" of fresh blower POW ) We use around 3 gallons, If we are working the bikes hard in the deeper fresh, 4 gallons. If you burn 4 gallons plus, you are spent and ready for the hot tub!!!!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Let the sleds carry extra gas if you run out?.
I occasionally worry about running out with my tank full and mountain addiction jug on the back but its rare. Has to be deep. Plus , someone always has more gas than me it seems.

M
Jan 14, 2004
My 500 can be a bit thirsty at times. I carry 4 gallons of pre mix on the back plus my tank full. It has to be a deep day to get into the second jerry so probably 4 -5 gallons on an average day. I don't tend to do the 8 hour days anymore though as I like to go for more 3-4 hour rides rather than huge 8 hour rides.

M5

M
Oct 28, 2015
Central Montana
1/2

In the past two years of running bikes with sleds. The bikes use 1/2 the fuel of the sleds. Sleds 6 gallons = bike 3 gallons. You do end up packing gas but I use much less than sleds in the same terrain, conditions, and run time.

J
Sep 9, 2015
So what I’m gathering is that if I was to carry 3 more gallons with me I should be fine. I do like the idea of just taking gas from he sleds if need be?

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I have been using the 1 gallon per hour formula. This is running hard in deep snow. My 2017 450sxf has a 1.8g tank and I carry a 3.3g MA can on the tunnel of my timbersled. I did a long day last season with 4.6 hours of engine time. We were thrashed.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Ran SnowHawks for years and getting into snow bikes because the Hawks were fun but heavy and the new snow bikes look to be much lighter.

Will confirm that single skis and sleds are not the best mix when riding as a group but it can work so long as there is a plan to meet up at certain time and place, that lets the single skis play and the sleds do there thing.

+1 on having the sleds carry the extra fuel.

See you on the mountain!

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I started packing a 1.75 gal rotopax and a 3.3 Mountain addiction can on my 500 exc. Waaaay too much fuel, and heavy. Now I just pack the mountain addiction can, and have never ran out. Maybe if I had a really long trail ride in to the mountain I'd pack the rotopax and stash it at the cabin.

I disagree that you can't ride with sleds, I do all the time. Just depends what type of riding they like to do. My buddies like technical tree riding so it works great for me.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I have had similar results as everyone above. 2015 WR450. 2 gallon tank with a 2 gallon jug on the tunnel. The low fuel light comes on with 1/2 gallon left in the tank, so I will top it off which leaves 1/2 gallon in my jug. By the time the light comes on the second time - we are usually spent and ready to head out anyway. The 1/2 gallon in the tank along with the 1/2 gallon in the jug have always been more than enough to get me back to the truck.

My riding group is mixed. A few bikes with a few sleds. Never like anyone riding alone. Especially on bikes because if you get into trouble, the sleds can't always get to where you are. Playing follow-the-leader on bikes is probably the most fun I have ever had on the snow. Ripping through the tightest trees and steepest side-hills WFO in third is about as cool as it gets!!

Have fun and be careful.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
My 500 can be a bit thirsty at times. I carry 4 gallons of pre mix on the back plus my tank full. It has to be a deep day to get into the second jerry so probably 4 -5 gallons on an average day. I don't tend to do the 8 hour days anymore though as I like to go for more 3-4 hour rides rather than huge 8 hour rides.

M5

I get much better mileage with my yz than i did with my cr (and it’s almost as fun). Still, if i were to go out for an 8 hr day with sleds and a significant approach then i would definitely ride accordingly... that is, watch more and choose my lines more sparingly. Don’t buzz around constantly like a pissed off yellowjacket. Unless they are all packing extra gas as well.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
maybe i'm heavier or something
i will say i've never run out with 3 extra gallons
but man i wouldn't want to either :face-icon-small-hap

i've never held a moto full throttle that long ever !
(ok maybe at St Anthony dunes maybe)
as much i have snowbiking it's crazy ! pinned on a 450 !
ha ha
i'll be riding and need a little more juice and twist
and nothing ? i'm already pinned :face-icon-small-sho
and have been for awhile ........

the funny question is Should we be changing oil/filer at lunch ????

welcome to the one ski it's a blast

R
Apr 18, 2016
I'm a 500 guy, the thing drinks it. 3.5 gallon desert tank on the bike with a Mountain Addiction can on the tunnel stuffed, I've left fuel out in the forest before to get home and I've thrown Gatorade bottles in the storage bag for kickers. I pretty regularly show up back at the truck with a gallon or less. I have burned a regular 500 tank in 45 minutes at the dunes...500 2 stroke drinks it. I had a YZ450 for a minute and it drank fuel, my 650R drinks fuel....pretty much everything I touch drinks fuel. I weigh 245 when I'm skinny...probably has something to do with it. I'd pack as much gas as you can. I ride with sleds sometimes, it's not too bad.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
First year snowbiker here and wondering what I “realistically” need to bring with everyday in the alpine. The group I go with we’ve always rode sleds tog they and I’m the guinea pig for the bike. Last sled was a ‘16 m8000 Ltd 162 3” and on the “big days” I’d have to dump one of my small mountain addiction cans in to get home. So if I was burning 8 1/2-10 gallons on average with my sled… what kind of crazy conversion rate should I figure for my bike? 17 crf450r and 17 Camso dts 129

I only carry 1 gallon spare and the xc 2.3 gallon clear tank, I have sledding bros and a hose! that's all I need however never ran out even on deep powder butt will admit I nursed her back to the truck a few times , Factory edition SX 450

Nov 13, 2008
I ride a yz250 2 stroke and carry almost 3 gallons on the tunnel with a 3.3 gallon oversized tank on the bike. I've never been close to running out and am toying around with the idea of just running the stock 2 gallon tank this season. When I used my 2013 wr450 the stock 2 gallons and the 3 in the can was more than enough. I've also noticed that on a bike you burn almost exactly half what your sled buddies burn.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have a Yeti 129 on a 14.5 KTM 450 SXF (520 big bore this season). I have the Yeti gas can that can carry 4.5 gallons on the front of the tunnel versus the back. I also have a 2.7 gallon fuel tank. I ran the thing dry on the first ride last year (before I had the tunnel can). I put a Pr2 Racing ECU on my bike midway through the season and saw my fuel consumption go way down, have 10 maps, more power, easier starting, less gas in the engine oil, etc. With it, I could ride all day and I might have to put an extra gallon in, if that. Consequently, I only fill the tunnel can up with 2 or 3 gallons and I never need even close to that. We will see how the 520 does.

F
May 17, 2008
my group we all carry the 3.3 ma can
i carry two of them and its good for three bike (we split the second can) on the epic days
I always drop the second can at cabin 80% of trips dont need the second can but if the snows deep
its worth the hastle

Ive had to borrow mixed fuel to get my crf450r to the truck (runs good on two smoke lol)

my group when we sledded ran etecs empty with the doo gas can

we might ride more then others?

Last edited:
S
Dec 20, 2016
Anyone have 2-3 gallon recommended gas tank for camso kit? Looking for something specifically built like the mountain addiction cans but am not sure on size/dimensions etc...

Disregard, just saw another thread on this topic

Last edited:
Premium Features