• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone out there make a drastic career change?

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
I just got done posting on a "first job" thread and it got me thinking. I have been pondering kind of starting over for the last year or so, and was wondering if any snowesters have done it. I have a decent career now, but I wouldn't say it is very satisfying. As I have gotten older a lot of my priorities have changed and it would be nice to stay closer to home and do something that makes me feel good at the end of the day. I am far from naive, and realize that I need to make money too, but I would take a pay cut if my job was a little more "life enriching". So...anybody make the jump?

i did.. i built baracks for the army, tore apart navy ships, built houses...

it paid real well,

but now im with a vacation company that pays even better, and is life enriching every day.

i started a thread about it, but i should have just wrote it on here.

all i can say, is make sure whatever job you decide to go into, look at the market. look at the demand for what you are doing. in this economy, direct sales is one of the best ways to go, but its got to be something people r in need of or want to do or be apart of.
there's a few out there.. comcast is one.. it sucks, cause its door to door, but you can make real good money if ur trying to build a foundation to go off of..

comcast right now is booming because of the economy. tv is a stress relief. and its entertaining for most. people will pay 50-100 a month to be distracted.

if ur business minded, u should pm me, and take a look at my thread, and decide what you want to do with my thread. cause im making alot of money right now, but its not for everyone.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
If one has made a lot of career changes you need to think maybe your just not good at any thing!!! ??. Nothing wrong with it IMO, ive made a couple. But I have been lucky and love my job, pays super, allows me to sled 4 to 5 mounths straight with no worries. What ever makes a man or women happy do it!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I havent really Changeed my job But My business instead. We statred out doing industrial repairs ( pumps turbines etc. ) and making the required repair components now all I do Is CNC machine work. I stated making sled parts 4 years ago and am getting ready to take that to the next level.Change is good

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I have spent my entire career and life working in SD State Parks. The only other job I ever had was working in a trailer manufacturing plant in High School. I now have enough years in to retire (as of 28 days ago). But even though I would be financially better off retiring and starting a new career I love what I do and am not ready to make the plunge yet. The job of Law Enforcement Park Ranger has been tough on the family. The pay is barely enough for a conservative lifestyle (10 year old vehicles, snowmobile, 20 year old ATV, 30 year old boat, small house). The schedule is hard on the family with most weekends and many holidays. we have little social life since the world revolves around weekends off. I do not get the time to ride for fun as I would wish since most people I know to ride with ride only on weekends. However even with the negative I still enjoy the job and have met many wonderfull people in our parks and on the trails. I find great satisfation in helping someone enjoy their recreational activities and helping those in need. I enjoy the challenging situations that I encounter and the excitement that goes along with it. Maybe some day I will find myself at the point where it is time for a change but now is not the time.

Premium Features