• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Cooling on SLASH - How will it do?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
How are these short tunnel sleds with little to no snow flap doing for cooling when accessing the riding areas? Do people have issues on hard pack, light fresh snow on frozen trail, packed roads, spring access?

I know even the 2019 850 155 I have likes to get hot fast.

I wonder if the snow flap from the non slash can be mounted on a slash and trimmed down a bit.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i bet the cooler wrap around in front of the track/bulkhead will help significantly. I had an SKS which has the bulkhead cooler, and it never ran hot

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
It does have a cooler in the front of the bulkhead, and it looks like the cooler runs the entire WIDTH of the tunnel. Also looked like it has small fins. My guess is it will be just fine.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you're nervous about it spend $70 on ice storm scratchers. You wont have any issues.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i have a '18 with a 155 tunnel, 163 track, and a silber turbo. believe it or not it runs cooler on the trail with no snow flap. no over heating issues ever. it makes no sense, but it's the truth.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Does anyone know if there is more room in this tunnel for snow evacuation than the axys tunnel?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Put 10+ miles of groomed trail riding on our test ride on NA and boosted slash sleds.

It absolutely worked BETTER then a stock '21 and WAY better then my Khaos with a cut tunnel and no flap. The new cooler works a lot better at transfering heat out of the coolant. IM excited for this to be less of a challange then i deal with right now.

C
Feb 27, 2018
I'm really up in the air on a 146 matrix slash or a Freeride 146. Problem here in the Northeast is we have to ride 40-50 miles to get to our play areas. I'm worried about cooling on the trail. With the Freeride I can get the accessory snowflap witch will help. Not so sure about the Matrix.... Guys that have rode them on the trail, what was your actual temps? Thanks for any help. The Khaos is really what I want but leaning Freeride because of this

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Put 10+ miles of groomed trail riding on our test ride on NA and boosted slash sleds.

It absolutely worked BETTER then a stock '21 and WAY better then my Khaos with a cut tunnel and no flap. The new cooler works a lot better at transfering heat out of the coolant. IM excited for this to be less of a challange then i deal with right now.
^^^^^^^^
I'm really up in the air on a 146 matrix slash or a Freeride 146. Problem here in the Northeast is we have to ride 40-50 miles to get to our play areas. I'm worried about cooling on the trail. With the Freeride I can get the accessory snowflap witch will help. Not so sure about the Matrix.... Guys that have rode them on the trail, what was your actual temps? Thanks for any help. The Khaos is really what I want but leaning Freeride because of this

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
To put it plainly, the slash sleds with scratchers down will not have any issues on the trail unless they are running on SOLID ice, which pretty much every sled sucks in.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks alot for the replies. Just need a little more reinsurance. I think I'll go with the 2" as well which should help
It’s your decision to make for sure.

I’m going to just say you can take Nick’s statement above to the bank.

There’s a lot of experience and good judgment speaking there. (From him and all the riders he corresponds with)

(And I have zero affiliation with his companies nor receive anything but msrp priced parts when i buy)

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
This is a worry of mine also being in the north east, wonder if they will come out with an accessory snowflap like the doos.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Bought the doo accessories flap and never used it. Bet they are as good or better than my wife's 21. A friend gripes about their 19 850 but ours runs cooler than any Polaris I've ever seen. No idea what's different between the 19 and 21. My buddy's 155 tunnel with 163 does run 20 degrees hotter than her 21 on the trail.

Premium Features