• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled riot page 5

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Oh good grief. Really? People use terms like "unethical" and "extortion"? First of all, look up the definitions of both. Neither apply. Then there is the reality check. Someone else is paying for the servers, software, time and energy to run this site and they have to listen to that crap? Come on. If you don't want to pay, that is fine, You get a limited service but it's free. Enjoy. Stop complaining. If you want more features, decide if it's worth it for yourself and pay or don't and move on.

...or go out and rent a bunch of servers, pay for software, spend countless hours setting it up and running it all if it's so easy and should be free for all the users. And don't you dare ask anyone to chip in to help cover it or they will call you unethical and say you are trying to extort them. Ha.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Do any of you guys pay for Facebook? Do you think Facebook would be as universal and powerful if it was a pay service? No. It goes way beyond being cheap, which is true I am, but comparing my cheapness to my expensive Snowbike is stupid as hell. I can’t ride this forum across a volcano.
I would not use Facebook if they paid me.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Oh good grief. Really? People use terms like "unethical" and "extortion"? First of all, look up the definitions of both. Neither apply. Then there is the reality check. Someone else is paying for the servers, software, time and energy to run this site and they have to listen to that crap? Come on. If you don't want to pay, that is fine, You get a limited service but it's free. Enjoy. Stop complaining. If you want more features, decide if it's worth it for yourself and pay or don't and move on.

...or go out and rent a bunch of servers, pay for software, spend countless hours setting it up and running it all if it's so easy and should be free for all the users. And don't you dare ask anyone to chip in to help cover it or they will call you unethical and say you are trying to extort them. Ha.
Well somehow 99% other forums figure out a way. Volunteer mods and they sell ad space. So, I dunno, seems that would make for a better usership and more discussion all around. So let me ask you this, clearly you think the cost is reasonable, so at what higher cost would you consider it unreasonable?

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Well somehow 99% other forums figure out a way. Volunteer mods and they sell ad space. So, I dunno, seems that would make for a better usership and more discussion all around. So let me ask you this, clearly you think the cost is reasonable, so at what higher cost would you consider it unreasonable?

What other sites do is not the question. Do you want "free level" content or "paid level" content on this site? Pick what is right for you and go with it.

I don't find the usership or discussion lacking on snowest.

I paid for a life membership and so my cost per year is down to about $5. For me personally, that is cheap to have no ads on snowest and for the value I get interacting with everyone. On top of that, I get the electronic subscription of snowest magazine included. On top of that, every year that goes by it gets even cheaper since it is a lifetime membership.

No point in me picking out a price that I would consider too high. If it was too high, I wouldn't pay it just like if a restaurant charged more than I wanted to pay, I wouldn't eat there. I wouldn't stand outside complaining to the owner or other patrons that they charge too much or tell the folks eating there they are paying too much, etc. I just wouldn't eat there. Everyone else can decide what is right for them and act accordingly.

I have no problem if someone doesn't value the content enough to pay for it. But I have to call those out that use the terms extortion or unethical because they don't want to pay for a different tier/pricepoint of service on a website. Ha.

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
I’ll probably subscribe just to read page 5. It's not that big a deal. But kinda weird they allow free members to post in the classifieds, that's nice, some forums don't. But the page 5 thing kinda screws the paying members from getting full value from forum assuming the whole purpose of a forum is group discussion. Obviously all snowmobilers can afford a membership but you can see we are a stubborn bunch and won't bend our principles so any discussion that goes past page 5 will miss out on input from a percent of members....

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Please all try to remember that it is the expertise, experience and opinion of the snow community that deliver the content to this forum. Without the community of people who pay or not pay to bring content, there would be no forum, much less anyone out there to strong arm the long time members to pay for content that THEY have collectively provided. Had this converstaion many years ago when this site was made pay. We all bent over and took it, me included. So I guess I can’t complain. But it doesn’t mean I like it.

Basically, the members buy the books and bring them to the library that charges other members to use them. Hmmm.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Please all try to remember that it is the expertise, experience and opinion of the snow community that deliver the content to this forum. Without the community of people who pay or not pay to bring content, there would be no forum, much less anyone out there to strong arm the long time members to pay for content that THEY have collectively provided. Had this converstaion many years ago when this site was made pay. We all bent over and took it, me included. So I guess I can’t complain. But it doesn’t mean I like it.

Basically, the members buy the books and bring them to the library that charges other members to use them. Hmmm.

The library isn’t paid for by the government.
It’s a “privately funded” infrastructure.

Personally I hate advertising when i’m reading.
Pop up ads are basically the website developer/owner giving the viewer a big middle finger.

Keep in mind paying for the forum gets you so much more than just access past post 100.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
What? an avatar? It seems the site has had more hiccups after pay than pre-pay IMO.
And the ads are still on here, whether you pay or not, we're just paying to not have as many ads I guess. That's how every other forum site, and this site pays for servers and infrastructure I'm assuming, and I get it, I'm not opposed to it, but don't say you cant make this service happen without member pay, its insulting, every other forum on the world wide web has proven that not to be the case. You want to be for profit? Go ahead, I'm not opposed to it, but when the content is provided by us and sold back to us for profit? It just doesn't sit well, but like I said, I'm one of the Rubes paying, so be it. Goofy emojis and avatars are not why I come to the site or pay for it, and you even have to use an outside app to make pictures work. WTF

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What? an avatar? It seems the site has had more hiccups after pay than pre-pay IMO.
And the ads are still on here, whether you pay or not, we're just paying to not have as many ads I guess. That's how every other forum site, and this site pays for servers and infrastructure I'm assuming, and I get it, I'm not opposed to it, but don't say you cant make this service happen without member pay, its insulting, every other forum on the world wide web has proven that not to be the case. You want to be for profit? Go ahead, I'm not opposed to it, but when the content is provided by us and sold back to us for profit? It just doesn't sit well, but like I said, I'm one of the Rubes paying, so be it. Goofy emojis and avatars are not why I come to the site or pay for it, and you even have to use an outside app to make pictures work. WTF

I don’t see any ads.

At all?

(I don’t see avatars either)

Maybe you need to check your settings?

I was talking about digital access to snowest and Sledheads magazines.

As far as uploading pictures. It’s a free app, and it’s really easy to use.
What more do you want?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
d2aa1f41151e542298907d60617a578b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
I don’t see any ads.

At all?

(I don’t see avatars either)

Maybe you need to check your settings?

I was talking about digital access to snowest and Sledheads magazines.

As far as uploading pictures. It’s a free app, and it’s really easy to use.
What more do you want?

The avatar would be the litttle picture by your name.

So digital access that you would get with your mag subscription? So instead they’ve just increased subscriptions by letting you pay to be member of the forum? Is that a benefit or an add on? I subscribed to the ad leaflet called snowest mag for years. But because the paper format is obsolete and the content in my opinion is subpar, I should be stoked to have it with my membership? It’s not a selling point. The only thing I pay a membership for is to read ALL THE CONTENT on the forum that I choose. Oh and I had that prior to the forum being monetized.

And yes... the Tapatalk app is a free app that is not affiliated or provided by snowest to make it easier to upload pictures to a forum I pay for. Thx Tapatalk you being a free service to help me read and enjoy the benefits of a forum I pay for has ultimately proved my point about all of this.

I’m happy you have unwavering support for the forum you pay to provide content for. I was merely stating my opinion regarding this situation that has rubbed so many the wrong way from the word go. I digress... it’s the same vortex. Oh well, I’ve spent more on less.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
The library isn’t paid for by the government.
It’s a “privately funded” infrastructure.

Personally I hate advertising when i’m reading.
Pop up ads are basically the website developer/owner giving the viewer a big middle finger.

Keep in mind paying for the forum gets you so much more than just access past post 100.

I agree with the payers who advocate supporting servers etc. but I also notice almost all paid members in favour of non-free use have something to gain by advertising beside their user name in each post. Could there be some fake news bias somewhere?:face-icon-small-hap

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I agree with the payers who advocate supporting servers etc. but I also notice almost all paid members in favour of non-free use have something to gain by advertising beside their user name in each post. Could there be some fake news bias somewhere?:face-icon-small-hap

I have absolutely nothing to gain by folks paying for the forum. ??*♂️

Nor any gain from indy specialty. (Bought one motor from dan at full price)

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I have absolutely nothing to gain by folks paying for the forum. ??*♂️

Nor any gain from indy specialty. (Bought one motor from dan at full price)

It was just my observation directed at some of the sponsored posts out there...not directed at yours specifically. I'm involved with many other forums so if I was to pay for them all it would be nuts. I am however thinking of getting a SW membership if and when they come up on special again...cheap kaks.:face-icon-small-hap

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
well it doesn't seem to matter if you pay or not because so far page 5+
haven't told me anything about the Riot

hahahahhahahaha

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I posted my riot review in the other thread.

perfect. im sure the guys who are new to the sport or snowest or whatever and are brought here via a google search of "TS riot" will appreciate not being able to see any reviews or recent discussions passed page 5 without having to pay. that definitely wont bum them out and make them go elsewhere like I did WAYYY back in the day when I was searching ski doo summit stuff and it came up on here but I couldnt read any of the new posts/discoveries about the problem I googled. as if this sport isnt expensive enough, now we gotta pay just to be able to read discussions on the new stuff?

went straight to dootalk and got my answers, and hundreds more for free.

the money thing isnt an issue either, its the principle of it. I refuse to pay another "tax" and get nickled and dimed to death more and more every day.

whats really sad is that no one continued the conversation on in this thread, so now theres a separate thread going on for an elite group of people that have paid and you guys arent getting any input from us non paying members, even though we could possibly be a wealth of knowledge, tips, and reviews. united we stand, divided we fall.

Last edited:
M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
perfect. im sure the guys who are new to the sport or snowest or whatever and are brought here via a google search of "TS riot" will appreciate not being able to see any reviews or recent discussions passed page 5 without having to pay. that definitely wont bum them out and make them go elsewhere like I did WAYYY back in the day when I was searching ski doo summit stuff and it came up on here but I couldnt read any of the new posts/discoveries about the problem I googled. as if this sport isnt expensive enough, now we gotta pay just to be able to read discussions on the new stuff?

went straight to dootalk and got my answers, and hundreds more for free.

the money thing isnt an issue either, its the principle of it. I refuse to pay another "tax" and get nickled and dimed to death more and more every day.

whats really sad is that no one continued the conversation on in this thread, so now theres a separate thread going on for an elite group of people that have paid and you guys arent getting any input from us non paying members, even though we could possibly be a wealth of knowledge, tips, and reviews. united we stand, divided we fall.

Hit the nail right on the head! Look after the nickels and dimes...the dollars look after themselves.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
And you're still bitching about having to pay to get all the info (on whatever) on Snowest while you're on Snowest.

Premium Features