• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Prolaris 850

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Why do people care so much what the other guy is doing? Why don't you learn how to ride your sled before you are worried about what the next guy is riding? :face-icon-small-con

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Not in our testing last year, xm beat the 850 on hard pac trails every time, we lined them up, but yes with a decently clutched 850 it should be out front, I actually like my 850 after the changes..

Not sure what you are talking about. I’ve never seen a completely stock xm even come close to a stock 850. And when you clutch them both the 850 walks away even more. But, it’s no secret you’ve disliked the 850 from day one so there’s that.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Not in our testing last year, xm beat the 850 on hard pac trails every time, we lined them up, but yes with a decently clutched 850 it should be out front, I actually like my 850 after the changes..

Oh man that's good to know! I've been looking for the best sled for hard packed trails! :face-icon-small-dis

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

Ya. Sorry. I was talking about 3’ of fresh going up the hill.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
All three have a great sled this year. This should be a taste based decision.

Having moved from an Axys to an 850 (and probably back) I can say first hand you can jump around to sleds and with minimal monkeying around have something you can adapt to and have a bunch of fun with.

That said, I still think the Axys is the best chassis to put boost to (I said chassis not motor) but that is due to weight transfer, weight distribution, weight and the places boost usually pushes you to ride.

All that said, all three are great!

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
If I had the money for a new sled this up coming year I would snow check the Alpha. Engine and clutches seem to work well and new unique suspension to boot.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why do people care so much what the other guy is doing? Why don't you learn how to ride your sled before you are worried about what the next guy is riding? :face-icon-small-con
Because the season is short and we are a TEAM ORIENTED PEOPLE.

And hell, its just plain FUN to poke fun at the other team.
Its all part of Americana!!

Every other team out there sucks except for your team, no matter how much your team sucks as well:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet the new 850 will outclimb the doo and I have a stock 850 and a boosted 850. It would be stupid for poo to kick one out that didn't. Then next year doo will up the ante.
As far as poo problems, it's just like 850 problems. Not half as bad as people make it sound. Both sleds are great. Both handle different. Pick your poison.
An xm outclimbing a gen 4 is like a pro outclimbing a axys. Not going to happen. The new chassis go through the snow sooo much better before you even factor power into the equation.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
So what's that telling you about getting all that power to the snow, you think it will be any different going up.. Reason we did the hardpac because we seen the same results on the hill.. G4 should of stood out, but it did not.. :eyebrows:

Oh man that's good to know! I've been looking for the best sled for hard packed trails! :face-icon-small-dis

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
So what's that telling you about getting all that power to the snow, you think it will be any different going up.. Reason we did the hardpac because we seen the same results on the hill.. G4 should of stood out, but it did not.. :eyebrows:

I'm no scientist but the tracks are not designed for hard pack snow. If you don't think something with more power and torque is going to lose every single time on a slippery surface you aren't a very smart guy... I'll speak for myself and go out on a limb and speak for the other advanced riders in this thread and say you aren't a very good rider if you don't think a stock 850 (no clutching or any changes period) doesn't smash a stock 800 Etec. I have changed everything you possibly can on my sleds but I have ridden a ton of 100% stock 850's and there isn't one I have ever ridden that I didn't think would beat my old T3 (that had that had everything in the world done to it...) You and your buddies keep throwing snowballs in air and racing each other on hard pack trails to let us know what the best mountain sled is so I know what to snowcheck next year :face-icon-small-con

D
Mar 13, 2014
I'm no scientist but the tracks are not designed for hard pack snow. If you don't think something with more power and torque is going to lose every single time on a slippery surface you aren't a very smart guy... I'll speak for myself and go out on a limb and speak for the other advanced riders in this thread and say you aren't a very good rider if you don't think a stock 850 (no clutching or any changes period) doesn't smash a stock 800 Etec. I have changed everything you possibly can on my sleds but I have ridden a ton of 100% stock 850's and there isn't one I have ever ridden that I didn't think would beat my old T3 (that had that had everything in the world done to it...) You and your buddies keep throwing snowballs in air and racing each other on hard pack trails to let us know what the best mountain sled is so I know what to snowcheck next year :face-icon-small-con

I raced a stock 6.7 Ford the other day in the rain and he kicked my ***, mine is tooned and deleted with a charger on it...But taking it off now so I can beat him.

D
Mar 13, 2014

I own both have two XM's a 154 and a 163 and a 165 - 175 850...It isn't close ever.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
That’s what we thought as well, made for a silent night for some.. think of it like this with a 40’degree helix, how fast can it actually be.. 860/880 in the past Are pilling 46 plus helixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I'm not following you one bit... Guys like you compare the most worthless things, that have absolutely no relevance to what they are trying to accomplish with these sleds. If you want to drag race on hard pack buy a trail sled. If you are concerned about drag racing up a hill, quit being a Nancy and buy a turbo Apex and boost it to 360 hp ?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
think of it like this with a 40’degree helix, how fast can it actually be.. 860/880 in the past Are pilling 46 plus helixes

Helix angle has almost nothing to do with power and/or speed. I'm running a 32° finish helix in my 10psi boosted Axys and it'll decimate any NA sled.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Sidewinder has my attention!
Alpha looks good!
Poo 850 looks good!
Jeez how could you go wrong???
But I am SOoooo comfy on my 165 it would be a hard sell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Helix angle has nothing to do with power or speed? Neither does gear ratio, spring rate, ramp profile, flyweight mass, throttle position, etc.:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features