• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I got to ride the Patriot 850 RMK two weeks ago in West Yellowstone.

The throttle response, the bottom end front and the mid-range pull are fantastic. This motor does feel like a big bore.
This motor has been in development and on the snow for several years.
It's got torque. I believe it's only available on Snow Check.

The electronics are all sealed. That was a great move Polaris.

Adjustable stance. 36 to 38 in. But I believe it's only available on snowcheck.

Scott,
Can you compare the motor to like a stage 2 or 3 starting line setup?
Only person i've talked to that has spent a decent amount of time on the 850 rides an 800 with a SLP single, and claims the 850 is a lot stronger.
My sled now is the same, an 800 w/SLP single and some clutching.
The majority of my group are on G4s and i have no problem spanking them. Wondering if the jump to the 850 is worth it power wise.
I think i heard it was 7 lbs heavier, plus the pipe drops a decent amount of weight.

I have a Carl’s Cycle stage 4 and a stock 850 the Carl’s cycle stage 4 is a little snappier but the 850 has a little more top end power. Either you got an extrodanarily strong AXY or your friends have week 850s. Some of it might be the tracks for me I notice the 850 spins a lot less then the Polaris
In set up snow the ski doo advantage might not be as much.

C
Dec 28, 2011
Maine
I had the opportunity to ride the new 850 back in February...

Vibration
The now motor mounts really smooth everything out. The motor mount redesign should eliminate the motor mount issues seen on the Axys.

Do you know if Polaris is planning to offer similar motor mounts for the '17 and '18 800s?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Here is a review from Pockets with some good detailed info.

"The other big news is a new Patriot 850 twin engine! This will be an option across the line, in all models which have the 800 now. But, IT WILL ONLY BE OFFERED DURING SNOWCHECK! This is an all new engine, not just an upgraded 800 Cleanfire HO. It only shares a few bolts with the 800 HO. Before I expand on that, there are also a few other improvements related to the engine, and from what I remember, some of them will be implemented across the line with other engine packages.

Polaris has changed the placement of the thermostat, removing it from the engine, and placing it in a newly designed coolant overflow tank. It is designed to maintain an engine operating temp of 100 degrees, for the best performance, and has a goal of consistent running temperatures. The engineers found that over time, the constant vibration of the engine would affect the thermostat, causing inconsistent opening/closing, as well as wear leading to failure. In riding the new 850 engine equipped models, I never saw over 125 degrees even in some icy low snow trail conditions.

The motor mounts have been completely redesigned because of a combination of customer feedback concerning vibration and performance inconsistency, and to ensure the power of the new 850 is properly transferred through the driveline. All 4 mounts resemble the old style large diameter puck mounts, with a central stud. The PTO side torque arm has been eliminated, and instead the rear motor mount is placed in such a way that it controls the rearward movement of the engine. The wide underside of the round mount and central stud, are inline with the rearward movement of the engine. The other 3 mounts are also mounted this way, with the stud and flat surface in line with the direction of engine movement under load. The aluminum bracket which the mount attaches to also has a raised portion, which encapsulates the rubber puck, so that it cannot expand to a larger diameter than designed under load. The vibration reduction with the new mount system was substantial. The ski tips didn’t dance at an idle, there was no feedback through the handlebars, seat and running boards. You could feel the difference while riding as well. This was compared to models which had the 800 HO engine and old mounting system. Vibration in the 600 engine equipped sleds was on par with the 850.

The entire wiring system under the hood has been simplified and rerouted for best serviceability. Instead of wiring being zip tied to contact points, there are specific tabs on the frame, and clips which attach to them. This will prevent improper routing after service, and the chance of a mistake being made on the assembly line. The relays and such are placed in a centralized “fuse box” for better protection and access.

One improvement the new 850 engine brings to the electrical system, is the change to one coil which will send power to a main distribution hub which the separate systems will draw from. Previously 3 coils in the stator generated power for the 3 main systems independently. Ignition, fuel system, and lighting/other electrical. (if I am remembering correctly!). Now, the electrical is comparable to an automotive system, which has the alternator generating power and sent to one point, then distributed to the various systems. This allows the voltage regulator to respond faster to load changes, makes the entire system simpler and more reliable, as well as provides more consistent power which the ECU and fuel injection system need to operate at top performance.

Now, what most everyone has been waiting for, a new more powerful engine from Polaris, the Patriot 850 twin! As far as raw numbers are concerned, we were not given them, but were told a 10% increase in power over the 800 HO, with a much wider powerband. The new engine is all new, sharing nothing with the 800 HO. If this concerns you the engine has been in development for 3 or more years (I apologize I forget the exact number). This includes dyno testing and thousands of miles of actual in chassis riding. Polaris will also be offering a special warranty program for sleds ordered with the engine, showing their confidence in it, and to put customers minds at ease about buying a first-year engine package. They also tested many different bore/stroke/rod length variations, not just in the engine room, but in chassis, before choosing this configuration. This engine gave the best in chassis feel, as far as power delivery, noise/vibration/harshness, overall performance over a wide range of conditions, handling and reliability. The engineers said it was easy to make good numbers on the dyno, but many combinations did not make for a nice driving sled. You must know that everyone who works at Polaris, are riders and enthusiasts. The engineers log thousands of miles during the development process.

Some key points of the engine are;
-increased crankshaft diameter and assembly process to increase strength and reliability
-different clutch taper
-greatly increased PTO crankshaft bearing load area (wider and diameter).
-new piston design with much longer skirt to decrease piston slap
-cylinder skirts extend into crankcase deeper to give more strength and piston support
- “Shrink wrap” cylinder head water jacket design to increase cooling efficiency
-coolant flow through the engine is optimized for maximum power output and consistency
-new combustion chamber design for reliability with varying fuel quality. The spark plug and the cylinder head around the plug is extended into the chamber.
-new v force reeds
-new Dell Orto throttle body, with holes drilled in the throttle blades for idle air bypass. You may now adjust the idle rpm if desired without affecting the TPS baseline setting.
-new magnetic/hall sensor type TPS, no adjustment required or possible. TPS is synched during initial assembly.
-exhaust sensor in the main pipe and in the muffler, which allows the ECU to better determine fuel and ignition requirements.
-new simpler VES system design, with cleaner, more consistent operation. Also, better overall power as a result of better cylinder pressure sealing.

There are many other points to the new engine, which I am missing. One key fact which proves the power this engine makes, is that Polaris also designed a new drive belt for it. The primary clutch has 6-gram heavier weights than the current 800HO yet has the same suggested full throttle rpm. If you attribute 2 grams of the weight increase to the harder belt, 4 more grams at the same rpm means a lot more power is being made. I was not able to confirm any other clutching calibration."

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Sensor in the can as well as pipe. Might be harder to throw a can on for easy weight loss.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do you know if Polaris is planning to offer similar motor mounts for the '17 and '18 800s?

No. The bulkhead has different mount flanges and you cannot interchange them without a ridiculous amount of modifications that really aren't worth it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone spent decent time on a Doo 850 and have a power comparison?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've been riding this sled for 3 years now...

Just kidding, but I have your attention. I'm impressed with a motor that has been tested for a few years now. Chris Burandt told me that something was coming and had extensive testing. He wouldn't budge on telling me what it was though. The weight of the sled stayed really close to 400 lbs. With a light weight can and pipe it will be there. I can't wait to see what SLP offers up for that. Here are some things I got excited about (sometimes it's the little things).

-TPS change...YES! No more finicky TPS. Polaris didn't do TPS's very well
-Grab bar change...YES! That hard bar that has gut punched me too many times (please offer this replacement w/o making us buy the bar assembly)
-Sealed relays
-Thermostat change (mine went in for warranty work)
-Integrated Hot Dogger! (I made that up)

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
It looks like the track has guide lugs on the outside of the rails now. Wonder if to help with the uneven wear everyone was getting.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Anyone else look at the "improvements" made with this engine and question why there had to be so many "fixes" from the last model? I was really excited to buy a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are probably gonna drop pretty good with the new engine announcement, but now after seeing all the stuff Polaris is admitting sucks in their old engines I'm honestly wondering why I would even want a 2017/2018 and not in a way that makes me want to upgrade to a 2019.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Anyone else look at the "improvements" made with this engine and question why there had to be so many "fixes" from the last model? I was really excited to buy a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are probably gonna drop pretty good with the new engine announcement, but now after seeing all the stuff Polaris is admitting sucks in their old engines I'm honestly wondering why I would even want a 2017/2018 and not in a way that makes me want to upgrade to a 2019.

Too bad you’re “POLARIS DUDE” !! Just deal with it.

Premium Features