• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deep snow traction of AXYS compared to Summit 850

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Hi guys,

On my recent trip this weekend I got to try out two of my friends Summit 850's with 2.5 and 3" track. The instant deep snow traction they have is unreal as compared to the 2.4" track I have on my SKS.

Is it because of the 3.5" pitch versus the 2.86" that I have?

I don't think its the power difference because when I line up with the guy with the 2.5" we are very very close. I'm running a Jaws pipe.

If I switch to 3" Polaris track and 3" drivers will I have the same grab as they do?

I love the handling of the AXYS much better than the doo but the traction they have makes doing tricks like hop overs a real joke. My sled seems to spin all the way up the hill and never hookup and lift the skis.

Thanks,
Mike

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Personally I'd go with a powerclaw 3" or CE 3". I'm not one bit surprised that those Doos went farther than you. IMO the Poo 2.4 is a horrible track.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6 or 3" pol tracks is pretty huge. IMO the doo 3.5 pitch 3" track on the G4 seems to be about the best deep snow track right now. BUT the Pol 3" isn't far behind and the 2.6 is a pretty killer all around setup.

The powerclaws are a really cool track too. I haven't rode one on an axys but they have some impressive dig.

Basically the 2.4 is just not in the same league as the other ones you are out riding with.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Those 850's were both 154" ? (compared to the same length on your SKS?)

Yea, that track on the SKS harkens back all the way to the 2008 Dragon.... pretty much "old school"

The 2.6" track optional on your SKS from Polaris ....OR the Conquer 2.8", or the X3 3" may be a better track for you if deep snow is your focus.

Last edited:

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Like others have stated get a Polaris 2.6 or 3 & you will see a huge improvement. The 2.4 that come stock on the SKS is a awful track all around.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The 3" powerclaw is the best track out. Imo. Me and a buddy put them on our axys this year and it's way better then the 2.6" or 3" polaris tracks and better then a camso X3.

W

wisboy25

Feb 10, 2015
Wisconsin
I just put a 3 inch Powerclaw on mine as well 162×3 with ice age rails and avid drivers on a 155 belt drive lol

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Yes, they were both 154"

Those 850's were both 154" ? (compared to the same length on your SKS?)

Yea, that track on the SKS harkens back all the way to the 2008 Dragon.... pretty much "old school"

The 2.6" track optional on your SKS from Polaris ....OR the Conquer 2.8", or the X3 3" may be a better track for you if deep snow is your focus.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Agreed that the polaris 2.4 is not a good wheelie track. Only good in fluffy snow.

changing the track will not make your polaris a wheelie machine like the doo. You will get better hook up, but the awesome thing about the pro is how it gets on top of the snow when it is deep and soft. To make it wheelie you will need to change your suspension settings and be aware that it will affect how your sled rides.

I have put a x3 on a pro before. I liked it, but was more tractor hook up than wheelie.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed that the polaris 2.4 is not a good wheelie track. Only good in fluffy snow.

changing the track will not make your polaris a wheelie machine like the doo. You will get better hook up, but the awesome thing about the pro is how it gets on top of the snow when it is deep and soft. To make it wheelie you will need to change your suspension settings and be aware that it will affect how your sled rides.

I have put a x3 on a pro before. I liked it, but was more tractor hook up than wheelie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4VnjOlIss

I think I'm going with a 2.5" challenger extreme, it seems to hookup!

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa

I actually hate the 2.4" even in soft snow. We recently had 3 feet of fluff and the 2.4" just spins for day, virtually no hookup at all. It seems like a trail track IMO.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's that SKS 2.4" track you're noticing, not a Doo vs Pol thing. If you like wheelies, put a 3" on it. Or just sell it and buy the non-SKS version with the 3".....as adding the 3" is going to make it a poor trail/crossover machine anyways.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
It's that SKS 2.4" track you're noticing, not a Doo vs Pol thing. If you like wheelies, put a 3" on it. Or just sell it and buy the non-SKS version with the 3".....as adding the 3" is going to make it a poor trail/crossover machine anyways.

Won’t the challenger extreme 2.5*bite very hard since it’s a stiff track and it has less lugs than the 2.4? On the 2.4 it’s two lugs per row and with the 2.5 it’s 2 lugs then 1 lug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Won’t the challenger extreme 2.5*bite very hard since it’s a stiff track and it has less lugs than the 2.4? On the 2.4 it’s two lugs per row and with the 2.5 it’s 2 lugs then 1 lug
A challenger extreme 2.5" is a good track. Typically speaking, stiffer lugs = better in harder snow, but can actually hurt in really dry fluffy snow. But ignoring that....I would say the Camo 2.5" extreme is a better track in all conditions than the 2.4"

The 2.4" track didn't bug me much until spring - I found it a decent deep snow track. It spins a lot, but it doesn't trench, is easy to sidehill and gets you around fine. It just don't have much hookup....and even less as the snow gets harder. And it definitely doesn't like to wheelie.

I'm way too cheap to spend the money to go from 2.4 to 2.5"....but that's me and I would buy a new sled before I ever upgraded a track. Your mileage may vary lol

Premium Features