• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice. 2 new sleds. Newbie

Hey guys whats going on. My name is Ryan and I just moved to Steamboat Springs Colorado. I have ridden dirt bikes my whole life but never owned a snowmobile.

I just picked up 2 Polaris Sleds. The sled I bought for myself is a 2017 Demo RMK 800 155". It has 300 miles on it and I bought it from steamboat power sports as a new sled. The second sled I bought is a 2014 RMK Assault 800 155" that had a new motor and clutch put in it 300 miles ago. The sled was under warranty when these items were replaced and the job was done by the dealer I am buying the sled from. It makes me a little nervous but the price is right at $4500.

So any advice you can give me on the maintenance of these sleds, riding advice, or anything would be greatly appreciated. I have a shop at my house and the ability to turn wrenches so I plan on doing a lot of the maintenance myself.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Congrats on the new sleds and welcome.

Suggest you try and hook up with a local who knows you are a brand new rider to show you the riding areas and help you get some of the riding basics. Sleds are a little different to ride versus other platforms and having someone show you the ropes can help accelerate your learning curve.

The "Schooled" series of riding videos can help you out a bunch.

The riding outside Steamboat is awesome. You should be stoked!

Mechanically-- both sleds sound like they are in good shape and your dealer should be a good resource. As for doing your own work, the forum can also be a good source of information.

R
Feb 29, 2016
If you are going to ride Polaris, it is a good thing you bought a spare right off the bat, you'll need it.

Another 5-6 rides and the '17 will be close to needing a primary rebuild, be ready to do the motor over the summer if either of them make it that long. When you lose 1000 rpm off the top end on the axys, it is probably the broken exhaust valve cable.

Good thing you can turn wrenches, you just bought two high maintenance time bombs, get your checkbook ready too...

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Man there is so much online non sense about reliability. I've had several pros 12, 15, 17. 3500 miles on the pro (mountain miles) and didn't even do a rebuild. Several buddies have 3000 plus mountain miles on 12-15s without rebuilds and still great. My 15 has 1000 miles with 0 issues. And the axys I have 300 so can't say a lot yet. I've had good "luck" with the polaris. And before this I rode cats my entire snowmobile career. It always comes down to people are going to post issues 100 to 1 of people who will post positive things. Normally people don't randomly go out of there way to post a positive review, while when people are pissed off they will go out of there way to post it, then 100 other people who have never had this issue post the same. With dirtbikes and sleds I always go stock pistons. Thats how it was made and off course aftermarket companies who make pistons are going to market things as "fix kits" etc, otherwise how are they going to sell anything. This is my experience, I've had great reliability and so have my friends, so I go off that since thats what I have seen first hand and not just online.

R
Feb 29, 2016
...and by contrast I have had HORRIBLE experiences with my last three Polaris sleds, a '13. '14 and a '16. The '14 had well over a dozen dealer visits to three different dealers before somebody was able to make it run correctly. My '16 needed a new motor at 1100 miles, new power valve cable and a new primary clutch. It is flat worn out after about 1.5 seasons of riding. Polaris customer service has been absolutely the worst ever, I am going back to Cat myself. I LOVE the way the Polaris rides, the quality and service is the worst in the industry, so no more of my hard earned cash for junk.

There are true stories ion BOTH sides of the coin, but you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
...and by contrast I have had HORRIBLE experiences with my last three Polaris sleds, a '13. '14 and a '16. The '14 had well over a dozen dealer visits to three different dealers before somebody was able to make it run correctly. My '16 needed a new motor at 1100 miles, new power valve cable and a new primary clutch. It is flat worn out after about 1.5 seasons of riding. Polaris customer service has been absolutely the worst ever, I am going back to Cat myself. I LOVE the way the Polaris rides, the quality and service is the worst in the industry, so no more of my hard earned cash for junk.

There are true stories ion BOTH sides of the coin, but you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand.

Hey, at least he didn't suggest going out and buying a Doo.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
If you are going to ride Polaris, it is a good thing you bought a spare right off the bat, you'll need it.

Another 5-6 rides and the '17 will be close to needing a primary rebuild, be ready to do the motor over the summer if either of them make it that long. When you lose 1000 rpm off the top end on the axys, it is probably the broken exhaust valve cable.

Good thing you can turn wrenches, you just bought two high maintenance time bombs, get your checkbook ready too...
My 14 and 16 have overall been amazing sleds. My 16 dropped about 700 rpm but motor mounts fixed it. Has 1400 miles on it and its been great. My 14 is still going with 2500 miles and its been flawless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Our two 2011's and our current 2013, and 2014 800 Pro Rmk's have had no problems except for one bad ETS on the 2011 which was covered under warranty.
Ryan, it sounds like you live in downtown heaven. I have been to Steamboat a few times. We rode Hahn's Peak and California Park just north of you. Also Snowy Range and the Sierra Madre Range WY. SnoWester DDecker lives just west of you in Craig and SnoWester Owenb2 lives in Saratoga, WY. Hopefully they will chime in and help you out. I hope to hook up with DDecker in Craig late October. Being a dirt bike rider makes a big difference. Good luck on your new adventure Ryan!

R
Feb 29, 2016
So far seven clowns have given me bad rep for my truthful post.... None of the 7 have been man enough to comment or discuss it here. Tells me everything I need to know about defenders of Polaris.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I will admit that I truly believe arctic cat makes the most reliable sled you will find. My buddy works at arctic cat so I ride his for about 30 minutes every trip. But I can not get used to their bulk. Last I rode is a 17, this year I will be able to try one of their 18s. If the 18 is as good as people say in a year or 2 I will most likely be buying a 18 or 19 cat. But for now I love my axys and I loved my pro ride before that. I personally haven't had any problems so I can't say anything bad. The only one I knew had problems was a buddy with the 11 pro, that thing has had like 2 or 3 cranks now & I don't even understand why he keeps paying for cranks and doesn't just sell it for a better one. I've had 3 pros since 12 and great luck so that's pretty good imo

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
So far seven clowns have given me bad rep for my truthful post.... None of the 7 have been man enough to comment or discuss it here. Tells me everything I need to know about defenders of Polaris.

Red Mtn,

We get it. You aren't a Polaris fan. I sincerely hope your Cat is awesome for you. You are in the Polaris section of the forum, and wonder why people are defending Polaris.

There is just no reason to jump on the OP's,"hey I just bought a new sled and am new to sledding" thread and take a big dump on it.

The general sledding section of the forum is the place to get your Polaris rant on, probably get a few other Polaris haters to join in with you.

Maybe it will be cathartic.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Red Mtn,

We get it. You aren't a Polaris fan. I sincerely hope your Cat is awesome for you. You are in the Polaris section of the forum, and wonder why people are defending Polaris.

Where did I say that? I am wondering why there are all such a bunch of *****s and wont discuss, just issue bad rep? That is as lame as it gets.

There is just no reason to jump on the OP's,"hey I just bought a new sled and am new to sledding" thread and take a big dump on it.

Just wanted to share the love Polaris has shown me, better be careful buying their junk, they will not stand behind it in my experience.

The general sledding section of the forum is the place to get your Polaris rant on, probably get a few other Polaris haters to join in with you.

Maybe it will be cathartic.

Maybe... Expect me to continue to share the love Polaris has shown me whenever the subject comes up though.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
^What you don't seem to be understanding here is that no one cares that you had a couple of duds. Everyone is aware of the tears on your keyboard and know you think polaris did you dirty. So move on to your new neon green purchase and get on with your life pal :)

@Ryculper I just moved to Grand Junction so not too far away and I'll be looking for people to ride with when the time comes.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership

Ok.... I'm going to take the bait.....

"Man enough to comment or discuss?"

What are you, twelve?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Oww oww pick me!!

Straight up ... if you have that many problems between that many sleds ... it's not them, it's you. Something (likely a few things) you are doing (and/or not doing) are contributing (significantly) toward your experience.

pzypn1v7rjpy.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Hey guys whats going on. My name is Ryan and I just moved to Steamboat Springs Colorado. I have ridden dirt bikes my whole life but never owned a snowmobile.

I just picked up 2 Polaris Sleds. The sled I bought for myself is a 2017 Demo RMK 800 155". It has 300 miles on it and I bought it from steamboat power sports as a new sled. The second sled I bought is a 2014 RMK Assault 800 155" that had a new motor and clutch put in it 300 miles ago. The sled was under warranty when these items were replaced and the job was done by the dealer I am buying the sled from. It makes me a little nervous but the price is right at $4500.

So any advice you can give me on the maintenance of these sleds, riding advice, or anything would be greatly appreciated. I have a shop at my house and the ability to turn wrenches so I plan on doing a lot of the maintenance myself.
There is endless reading on here for tips and tricks to make your sled stronger, more reliable, etc. But some of the stuff you can do to keep your sled reliable and running well is pretty basic and most people just....don't do. This is far from a comprehensive list, but a few things off the cuff:

- Store the machine indoors and allow to dry fully between rides (or as often as possible).
- Always use a cover when trailering on an open trailer, sled deck, etc.
- Clean clutches and belt surfaces every few rides (blow out, scuff surfaces with scotch brite, wipe with acetone)
- Figure out how to use the parking brake as little as possible (less chance of forgetting it on, it freezing on, etc)
- Do some reading on basic suspension and bar set up
- Ad a tether to both sleds if not installed
- Skip all the oil brain damage and just run the Polaris VES
- Run a non-ethanol premium fuel if available
- Grease all grease fitting a couple times per season for average riding
- Rinse any salt, road grime, dirt, etc off the machine as needed
- While giving the machine a little cleanup, check for any loose parts or damage
- Always let the sled warm up to above 100 degrees F before leaving the truck -- and take it easy for the first few kms to allow everything some time to warm up
- Allow the sled to run for ~30 seconds before shutting off after hard running
- Allow the sled to warm up a little after stopping to get un-stuck or chat with your buddies
- Allow for a warmup to above 100 degrees F after stopping for a longer time (eg lunch)
- Always run the ice scratches on anything resembling hard pack snow or a groomed trail. Your sliders will last longer, and less chance of overheating. Keep in mind, you need to ride fast enough for the scratchers to do their job.
- Always hit the sides of the trail to spray up some fresh snow whenever possible.
- If the engine temp rises above 160-180 degrees and climbing....stop and throw a bunch of snow on the tunnel (with the sled running) until the temp comes down.

- Keep in mind that the motor in your sled has the highest-performance, most strung-out motor you can buy off the shelf for nearly any consumer product. So if any of this sounds like it needs a little more love than your car or motorcycle....it DOES! Have fun out there!

Premium Features