• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 SnoWest "ULTIMATE" Project Trailer #3,

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
mtnclimber, did you have that trailer in Seeley Lake in the last year or so?

It's actually my buddy's trailer. I talked him into buying it and Christopher hooked me up with a lifetime membership! :face-icon-small-hap. Yes, he did have it at Seely in October I believe. And then again over Xmas break.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Loaded for bear last weekend at Togwotee

3646e6e0c3478df61c4d8f1882be21b3.jpg

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
3rd Mirage trailer

Im on my 3rd Mirage trailer. Out of the 9 enclosed trailers Ive had Im sold on Mirage. The welds on the frames have never broken (Try the Alaska highway years before it was all paved). The side walls (inside and out) hold up well. The torsion axles are the only way to go over leaf springs for smooth riding because I hang tools off the walls of every free square inch. I alway upgrade to the 6000lb axles because I use my Extreme as a dual sport hauling old hotrods in the summer. They use the 8 lug rims same as my truck and 10 ply E rated tires. Ive never had a problem with them and I don't come close to a load limit. Ive never had a problem with their wiring compared to other brands. I love the poly floor for duel sports use as well. The floor is very tough!
Some recommendations of things Ive done over the years:
1.Carry a couple rubber mallets to knock off snow and ice "before" pulling the sleds in any brand trailer.
2. I use 2 Golf cart 6v batteries tied together for 12volts. They run forever, have tons of power and you can get cheap year old ones at most golf courses that last for years.
3. I run a "big" inverter or 2 off these batteries for welders, air compressors, drills, grinders etc because these batteries can take being wore down to nothing frequently. A stereo and heater hardly touches their capacity.
4. Stick a small solar panel on the front or roof to trickle charge when not in use.
5. LED lights for the inside have gotten cheaper every year and really save on battery drain.
6. A small wall mounted air compressor is all you need if you plumb in a small tank under the frame rail.
7. If you have more time than money, buy the stripped down version of the trailer and install your own cabinets, seats etc, Mirage sells all the extras or buy some from PitPal as someone else mentioned.
8. Undercoat the frame of what ever you buy Before you start using it. I love POR-15, or take it somewhere and have them spray truck bed liner under it on the frame. Note: there is nothing better than POR-15, but you will Never get it off your shop floor, driveway, clothes or brushes if you use it asks my buddy why he has a ghost outline of his frame on his shop floor for 15 years from not putting a tarp down before painting it lol.

I hate to sell my 2nd mirage trailer, but its only getting used in the summer to haul a lite weight supercharged Vet. They make such good trailers it will be hard for you to part with yours as well...until they come out with the next shiny version ;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Im on my 3rd Mirage trailer. Out of the 9 enclosed trailers Ive had I'm sold on Mirage.

The welds on the frames have never broken (Try the Alaska highway years before it was all paved).

The side walls (inside and out) hold up well.

The torsion axles are the only way to go over leaf springs for smooth riding because I hang tools off the walls of every free square inch.

I alway upgrade to the 6000lb axles because I use my Extreme as a dual sport hauling old hotrods in the summer.

They use the 8 lug rims same as my truck and 10 ply E rated tires. Ive never had a problem with them and I don't come close to a load limit.

Ive never had a problem with their wiring compared to other brands.

I love the poly floor for duel sports use as well. The floor is very tough!

Some recommendations of things Ive done over the years:
1.Carry a couple rubber mallets to knock off snow and ice "before" pulling the sleds in any brand trailer.

2. I use 2 Golf cart 6v batteries tied together for 12volts. They run forever, have tons of power and you can get cheap year old ones at most golf courses that last for years.

3. I run a "big" inverter or 2 off these batteries for welders, air compressors, drills, grinders etc because these batteries can take being wore down to nothing frequently. A stereo and heater hardly touches their capacity.

4. Stick a small solar panel on the front or roof to trickle charge when not in use.

5. LED lights for the inside have gotten cheaper every year and really save on battery drain.

6. A small wall mounted air compressor is all you need if you plumb in a small tank under the frame rail.

7. If you have more time than money, buy the stripped down version of the trailer and install your own cabinets, seats etc, Mirage sells all the extras or buy some from PitPal as someone else mentioned.

8. Undercoat the frame of what ever you buy Before you start using it. I love POR-15, or take it somewhere and have them spray truck bed liner under it on the frame. Note: there is nothing better than POR-15, but you will Never get it off your shop floor, driveway, clothes or brushes if you use it asks my buddy why he has a ghost outline of his frame on his shop floor for 15 years from not putting a tarp down before painting it lol.

I hate to sell my 2nd mirage trailer, but its only getting used in the summer to haul a lite weight supercharged Vet. They make such good trailers it will be hard for you to part with yours as well...until they come out with the next shiny version ;)

Some Great Comments.
#1.
I carry an ICE CHIPPED and a HEAVY BRISTLE BROOM in the truck.
I use the ice chipper to ALWAYS clear the front and rear ramp joints first thing in the morning right after we open the trailer! In the evening we run the furnace and melt out the sleds. This generates a LOT of water that runs out of the trailer via the two doors. Water ALWAYS POOLS in the joints and when we open the trailer up in the morning there is a TON OF ICE in the joint. One minute with the 4foot ice pick and the joints are free, then the broom comes and clears all of the ice away!

chopper.jpg

#2.

I WOULD suggest that anyone who buys one of these trailers UPGRADE the deep cycle batteries that come with it IF you are going to seriously use the trailer! If custom ordering a new trailer, I would have them build a LARGER BATTERY BOX that will accept LARGER DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES.
I regularly DRAIN the OEM batteries on long outings. As a result I ALWAYS carry a Honda EU2000 generator with me to RECHARGE the batteries and to power the AC Auxillary lights I have installed in the trailer!!

I would LOVE to have a pair of these in the trailer if given the opportunity.
OPTIMA_YT_D31A_Right.png

I small Solar TRICKLE CHARGER would be AWESOME!!!
My trailer is parked and ALWAYS PLUGGED in to shore power so the OEM batteries are always under charge. But a solar pannel would be one more step in the right direction for when the trailer is out on the road for long trips!!

#5.
I have had 4 of these trailers now, and none of them has ever had TOO MUCH LIGHT inside. I always have Mirage install as MANY LIGHTS as possible! Both LED, Incandescent and Fluorescent! The LEDs are 12volt off the batteries, and the Fluorescent are 120V AC off the generator. Next year I THINK we are going to see a big jump in available LED lighting for the trailers!!

#8.
If you are going to buy one of these trailers with the intention of KEEPING IT FOR YEARS, then by all means SPEND THE MONEY AND HAVE THE UNDERCARRIAGE COATED!! I think that would be a VERY WISE INVESTMENT and greatly increase your resale value down the line. I would also love to see if there is a way to INSULATE THE FLOOR with a spray on coating of any sort... The floor is the COLDEST PART OF THE TRAILER even after the furnace has been running for HOURS and HOURS. If there was a way to insulate it, then that would reduce the ICE BUILDUP that happens when the floor is covered with water and the furnace shuts off late at night after the sleds have fully melted out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Putting all the USB Ports to some good use this last weekend on the way up to the riding area.
Had 4 BCA Radios that all needed to be charged up!

e9fe9539f4a8e929936b88cba0e95f38.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After a GREAT season using this trailer, we are getting her cleaned up and ready to sell off to one of our SnoWest members.

FOR SALE notice should go out in the next couple days.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got the confirmation from Mirage that its time to SELL THIS TRAILER.

Invoice to us was $26,758.64

They told me to sell it off to a SnoWest member for $16,758!

TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS OFF.

Smoking Hot Deal!

Once again, some lucky SnoWest Member is gonna come away with a great trailer for a KILLER price!

Premium Features