• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

axys rear track stock ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Hey guys, the axys rts is 1/4" shorter then the pro rts, is that 1/4" at full length or 1/4" at compressed . Thanks.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Oh sh#t, can a float 3 evol from a pro rmk be lengthen to make work in the axis ?

We believe so, and are looking into it, but haven't come to any solution yet. Your other three shocks will be a direct bolt up from the 13-15 shocks, and we will know once we get the info from Polaris on what it takes to lengthen the RTS. Not having had one to play with like we have in previous model years, we are a little behind on figuring some of that out.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
EDIT: Yes... there Should be enough air sleeve length on the PRO-RIDE Float RTS shock to still allow the air sleeve to seal on the shock body. ... you would need to get a new shaft though.

Carl's... are you positive that it's longer on the AXYS?

Last edited:
Talking with Andy Mills, our Polaris Rep, it is. Also, measuring the shock when we had our sled here on our sales floor, it was longer. Couldn't get a 100 percent accurate measurement with it on the sled though, but it was definitely longer.

My boss had me come in on my day off and I made up a list of the major differences between the 2015 and 2016 sleds, so I was poring over it to make a sales aid for our salesman here at Carl's. One of the big things was figuring out shock lengths, so I can guarantee you they are longer. The list of what is the same is about 2 inches. The total list of all the changes (and I don't even have all of them on the list) is about 2 pages long!

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Talking with Andy Mills, our Polaris Rep, it is. Also, measuring the shock when we had our sled here on our sales floor, it was longer. Couldn't get a 100 percent accurate measurement with it on the sled though, but it was definitely longer.

My boss had me come in on my day off and I made up a list of the major differences between the 2015 and 2016 sleds, so I was poring over it to make a sales aid for our salesman here at Carl's. One of the big things was figuring out shock lengths, so I can guarantee you they are longer. The list of what is the same is about 2 inches. The total list of all the changes (and I don't even have all of them on the list) is about 2 pages long!

Post it up!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Carl's IS correct on the RTS being longer.

Just in from Polaris.

Extended length is .3" longer

AXYS-MTN RTS: 17.10” extended and 11.40” Collapsed (eye center to eye center)

PRO-RIDE-MTN RTS: 16.80” extended and 11.35” Collapsed (eye center to eye center)

So... It might be possible to lengthen a float shock... and only loose .050" in travel.. A Raptor/EXIT/Walker... probably with an change in shock eye length you could make it up.

On the floats... the EVOL-R or EVOL-X has an expensive hollow shock shaft... so that would be costly... and, There would have to enough length on the shock body remaining to still allow the air sleeve to seal/function.. A longer Air Sleeve might get a little pricey.... A Kashima Sleeve and R-Shaft...I could see as costing north of $230 for the RTS... Plus probably $30 - $50 in service cost/oil.

I'm interested in seeing what happens with this as some people that have upgraded their shocks on their PRO-RIDE sled will want to put them on their AXYS sled if they had the foresight not to sell their stock shocks.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
How bad is a small nick in the body of the fox evol 3. On the grey part it's very small but I can feel it with my nails. Just thinking the seal will not last as long. Dealer has a very good deal on a new set. Of front shocks. Think I know the answer just double checking.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
A small nick... if you CAREFULLY debur it... should not be an issue...
Clean it up so it doesn't snag the seal.

I had a float RTS that was peppered with stone nicks back in 2008... Carls serviced it for me and cleaned up the sharp edges of the nicks... worked great for the next two seasons.

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
So what would happen if I put my rts off of my pro Rmk on my new axys? Is the .3inches really gunna be noticeable?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So what would happen if I put my rts off of my pro Rmk on my new axys? Is the .3inches really gunna be noticeable?

I would suspect there is a small geometry change.
ANY change will affect how it handles.
The skid center to center mount points in the tunnel would change if you force a shorter shock in there. It will force them closer together.
It won't handle the same, IMO. I think the rear skid will collapse easier and the sled will transfer weight too easily.
I would think there would be a performance compromise.

I've been there and done that.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How bad is a small nick in the body of the fox evol 3. On the grey part it's very small but I can feel it with my nails. Just thinking the seal will not last as long. Dealer has a very good deal on a new set. Of front shocks. Think I know the answer just double checking.

The seal that rides on that surface just keeps ice/water/dirt away from the main air seal. The main air seal is actually attached to the grey body of the shock around the seal head and the air sleeve slides over it. So it will never actually touch that nick. Buff it smooth and it won't be an issue. Even if you left it, it would just allow water to get in the bottom part of the air sleeve. A lot of times they get some in there anyway that needs to be cleaned out when the air sleeve maintenance is done annually. Which everyone is doing I'm sure :face-icon-small-win

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Do any of you use the shock protector on the floats? Plastic or neoprene ones?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I cover the fronts to keep maintenance down. Willow sap and pine pitch (in my area) attaches and eventually works it's way onto the head seal (air seal). No damage just loses air and requires un necessary maintenance when the season is prime.
You can't find something new if you are afraid to punch through some brush lol.

I use Rancho shock boots. Cheap and in stock at the auto places usually. Red and black available. The skinny end fits just right at the bottom an stays put without a zap strap. Then stretch the big end up and slip it over the air sleeve cut neatly to fit and zap strap it.
I'm sure they have saved a few nicks too because I usually need the spare once a season.

I haven't had an issue on track shocks but I have turned into a whiney " I want more snow or I won't go" type of rider. Sux but it is what it is.

Last edited:
W
Apr 12, 2012
Piteå - Northern Sweden
Carl's IS correct on the RTS being longer.

Just in from Polaris.

Extended length is .3" longer

AXYS-MTN RTS: 17.10” extended and 11.40” Collapsed (eye center to eye center)

PRO-RIDE-MTN RTS: 16.80” extended and 11.35” Collapsed (eye center to eye center)

So... It might be possible to lengthen a float shock... and only loose .050" in travel.. A Raptor/EXIT/Walker... probably with an change in shock eye length you could make it up.

On the floats... the EVOL-R or EVOL-X has an expensive hollow shock shaft... so that would be costly... and, There would have to enough length on the shock body remaining to still allow the air sleeve to seal/function.. A longer Air Sleeve might get a little pricey.... A Kashima Sleeve and R-Shaft...I could see as costing north of $230 for the RTS... Plus probably $30 - $50 in service cost/oil.

I'm interested in seeing what happens with this as some people that have upgraded their shocks on their PRO-RIDE sled will want to put them on their AXYS sled if they had the foresight not to sell their stock shocks.

Here are some pictures

2015 RTS vs 2016 RTS and a Fox Float Evol R

2015 RTS in 2016 skid
http://forum.snowmobile.se/attachment.php?attachmentid=18633&d=1431363848

RTS
http://forum.snowmobile.se/attachment.php?attachmentid=18634&d=1431363849

2016 RTS in 2016 skid
http://forum.snowmobile.se/attachment.php?attachmentid=18635&d=1431363850

2015 RTS vs 2016 RTS
http://forum.snowmobile.se/attachment.php?attachmentid=18636&d=1431363852

2015 Fox Float Evol R in 2016 skid
http://forum.snowmobile.se/attachment.php?attachmentid=18637&d=1431363853

The Fox Float Evol R will fit if you change the "top" bodycap/eyelet but Fox doesnt have those parts yet. So if someone is handy with a CNC-machine :)

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
We believe so, and are looking into it, but haven't come to any solution yet. Your other three shocks will be a direct bolt up from the 13-15 shocks, and we will know once we get the info from Polaris on what it takes to lengthen the RTS. Not having had one to play with like we have in previous model years, we are a little behind on figuring some of that out.

Burandt was already running Floats on his Axys this year so I'm sure Fox already has things covered for next year

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Ward can't view the pictures.

Premium Features