• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Diesel Tundra vs The Rest

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
As for the Sick Liter... I love them! But I'm also sick in the head too. I like them better (when they run right) over the 7.3. But thats just a personal opinion too. 7.3 have there issues and you dont hear it as much. I do work on both. 6.0 are not forgiving on oil changes, filters and such.... Thats where most people get in trouble with.

I just got done with a '06 that has 109,XXX miles on it. It needed the power supply in the FICM replaced. Other then that, it just has his regular maintenance done like it should. Otherwise no issues with it.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Well I know for fact the Isuzu case, American rotating assembly, Chinese ECM,Turkish or Indian injection system Duramax has had almost as many EGR and injector problems as Ford! But nevertheless the 03-06 Gm trucks have had powertrain issues from torque converter to axles and ECMs its not BULLETPROOF!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The 6.0 isnt a High Compression Diesel. Most new Diesels are 18to1. Where the old IDI's and others are 22~ 24to1. Thats High!

true dat, i was talking more in general with all engines. actually most new diesels are in the 16-17 to 1 now a days.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Well I know for fact the Isuzu case, American rotating assembly, Chinese ECM,Turkish or Indian injection system Duramax has had almost as many EGR and injector problems as Ford! But nevertheless the 03-06 Gm trucks have had powertrain issues from torque converter to axles and ECMs its not BULLETPROOF!

never said they were bullet proof, any piece of mechanical equipment will have problems. pretty sure dmax has a bosch fuel system just like the rest of them, and the "common" injector issues with the dmax were pretty much ended in 04.5 when they ended the run of the lb7. what about 01-02 dmaxs? 06 and newer dmaxs pretty much had the bugs worked out other than some issues with some of the newer emissions stuff when it first came out, but there's always issues when something news is put out.

sandorsnow

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2009
utah
My head hurts.

I currently own all 4. Ford's, Chevy's, Dodge's, and even an Isuzu.
After reading this I'm scared to drive any of them.

They all suck. No matter what you drive, it's going to cost you money.
Especially if you keep them long enough. I've gone over 400k miles on my Fords and Dodges. Haven't had the other two long enough yet.

This argument is pointless. Just drive the damn thing.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Ok here it is any Government Motors truck is, has and always will be a glorified 4 wheel drive el comino! Now days they are powered buy a Isuzu diesel! Dodge may have the power but are not designed to take the constant beating that daily abuse of heavy hauling on and off road use has on a truck! I know from years of experience the Fords just hold up! They always have and always will! Oh and as far as the gear ratio is concerned 3:73 GM and 4:10 Dodge are your only lower gear options! Also the only heavy haul tow package with dual rear axle for 2014 dodge cummins is AISIN TRANS package! Just a little FYI!

duramax is made in usa...

i feel sorry for ford...i mean just look at the people who buy them

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
I love when people bring up the "government motors" and it's usually only ignorant ford owners. But you do realize that ford did borrow money not for a bailout like what gm did but ford did borrow money and they were supposed to use it to make more environmental friendly cars such as hybrids. Gm has paid back 23 billion of the 49 that was borrowed but the US treasury owns 500 million shares of gm once their stock goes up the rest will have been paid back and then some. But fords loan from all of our tax payers has not been paid back. Obama is the one that was backing up ford so in essence your backing up Obama. And by the way gm OWNS 60% of Duramax Isuzu owns 40%. But yet it's funny the 6.0 ford and the 6.4 haven't been anything out of the world. Their new 6.7 still isn't even proven yet! But duramax has a proven engine and transmission that works. Ryan lemme put it this way so maybe you can understand it a little better. Ford is like a polaris it's a sweet chassis great interior awesome truck but under the hood is still a little iffy. GM is like an m series cat it's a little outdated (until 2015) but has a proven and great motor under the hood. Like I've said before all 3 trucks have their pros and cons it comes down to preference.

ummm...no...ford has a garbo chassis for the super duty and an unknown quality motor for now

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
OK Chris,

The Duratrash is still An Isuzu product designed by Isuzu and used by both GM, Isuzu and about half a dozen other Asian and European companies! Next is the bailout oh boy so Ford takes another route GM, Chrysler take the bailout. All three where pressed into emissions based tax and penalties threats and an agreement with the EPA, USDA to use government money already set aside for agricultural based vehicles such as pickup trucks to implement use of ethanol based fuels and other environmental friendly investments so the BIG THREE could focus on Hybrids to meet EPA standard changes! As far as the 6.0 POWERCHOKE is concerned take off the EGR let her breathe and minimize the back pressure on the variable vein turbo and program with a TCH the 6.0 is hands down a better engine than the 7.3!

the fact that you said a 6.0 is better than the 7.3

well that just says enough right there

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska

its nice to know people spend thousands of dollars based on where something is made...and not the product itself

sbyl

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I as many trash talked the 6.0L for years and what a shame it was and how Ford screwed up! Then I learned the truth! Only a small percentage of the early 6.0s actually had engine issues! The high compression injectors and piss poor maintenance of them and the engine in general did it in! Look up on most diesel forums and do more research! The problem was poor maintenance of the whole truck! Yes international made the engine too finicky! And the EGR was killing all engines it was on! Poor maintenance of the batteries ruins the FICM!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I as many trash talked the 6.0L for years and what a shame it was and how Ford screwed up! Then I learned the truth! Only a small percentage of the early 6.0s actually had engine issues! The high compression injectors and piss poor maintenance of them and the engine in general did it in! Look up on most diesel forums and do more research! The problem was poor maintenance of the whole truck! Yes international made the engine too finicky! And the EGR was killing all engines it was on! Poor maintenance of the batteries ruins the FICM!

who brain washed you?

small percentage of early models have probs? all years had probs, they just got less as the years went on.

piss poor maintenance of the injectors? could you explain to me the proper maintenance of an injector other than running clean fuel? are you saying 6.0 owners were MORE prone to running bad fuel and not changing their filter compared to any other vehicle owner?

so the solution is to stereotype everyone that owned/owns a 6.0 SP and say the problems are due to them not maintaining them? are you saying people that are bad at maintaining a vehicle were drawn to the 6.0 more than any other vehicle? thats just crazy. id imaging just as many people with bad maintenance habits own every other make and model of vehicle.

and about the batteries....... these pickups were less than 2 years old when all this crap started happening. what kind of battery maintenance was discarded in the vehicle's short <2 life span that caused the FICM to go wacko.

AND NO IM NOT AN ANTI FORD GUY. i grew up in a ford family. my dad and grandpa have 6.0s. neither have had many problems.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
It all boils down to education! REFFER TO ARTICLE ON 6.0INJECTORS ACCURATEDIESEL.COM! Ok the HEUI injectiors in the 6.0 use oil from the crank case at high pressure to help pressurize the fuel at a higher rate! IE dirty or low viscosity or poor quality/cheap oil causes the injectors to stick! Thus causing injectors to fail! That's is why synthetic or semi synthetic oil is recommended! As far as the FICM: a poor performing alternator or batteries that are not performing to their abilities reek havoc on the FICM! YES POOR MAINTENANCE WAS A KILLER FOR THE ENGINE! Also as far as head bolt problems that is simple that has to do with manifold pressure which is solved by a programmer and pyrometer!

Last edited:

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Now, i read this in a book once so it may not be as factual as if it had come from the good ol interweb, but by 2005 ford had released 77 technical service bulletins on the 6.0 with only three years of the 6.0 being out. by that same time gm had released 8 service bulletins on the dmax and cummins released 0. but hey, I'm sure all of those service bulletins were simply to tell customers to run synthetic blend and recharge they're brand new batteries. the 7.3 also pressurized its injectors with the engine oil and i have many a friends who have or have had the 7.3 and never ran synthetic with no issues. and lastly how does a pyro control manifold pressure? last i checked they just read the egts and displayed them for you to see.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
i feel sorry for ford...i mean just look at the people who buy them

New word to be entered into the next edition of Webster's dictionary.....
Rofftard - One who is unintelligent, un informed and or ignorant.
ie - Toby is Rofftarded in his beliefs of what quantifies the quality of a pickup truck .

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's is true that only a percentage of 6.0l fords had problems. Right around 100% roughly speaking.

But really they aren't that bad. Once you're on your 2nd computer, 3rd turbo, delete the egr, take the truck appart to replace the headstuds and gaskets, put in a programmer, and sprinkle it in holy water it runs really great for awhile!

Last edited:
R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Ok the 7.3 injectors never ran at a 26, 000 PSI But I read that in a book somewhere oh ya it is the service manual! But I better check to see if I can find a newer revised one!

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
the 7.3 also pressurized its injectors with the engine oil and i have many a friends who have or have had the 7.3 and never ran synthetic with no issues.

That is true BUT the 6.0 runs a higher oil pressure the the 7.3. The 6.0 run 3,600 to 4,000psi to the injectors. 7.3 I do believe they run 2,500 to 3,000psi.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
piss poor maintenance of the injectors? could you explain to me the proper maintenance of an injector other than running clean fuel? are you saying 6.0 owners were MORE prone to running bad fuel and not changing their filter compared to any other vehicle owner?

so the solution is to stereotype everyone that owned/owns a 6.0 SP and say the problems are due to them not maintaining them? are you saying people that are bad at maintaining a vehicle were drawn to the 6.0 more than any other vehicle? thats just crazy. id imaging just as many people with bad maintenance habits own every other make and model of vehicle.

and about the batteries....... these pickups were less than 2 years old when all this crap started happening. what kind of battery maintenance was discarded in the vehicle's short <2 life span that caused the FICM to go wacko.

AND NO IM NOT AN ANTI FORD GUY. i grew up in a ford family. my dad and grandpa have 6.0s. neither have had many problems.

Also just worked on a 6.0, where my friend changed his oil every 9,000 miles (P/U has 9X,XXX miles on it) with conventional oil.... Lets just say.... It cost him his injectors. So yes, you cant be lackadaisical on your maintenance. If you are, then one needs to stay far away from a 6.0.

Also, I have seen a lot of people who dont take care of their ride. I see it all the time. The bad thing is, 6.0 are not forgiving of that. Being educated on them sure does help them live a longer life with less issues BUT most people dont even change their own oil. Thats when the problems starts and goes from there.

I own a '03 with a Sick Liter and love it. But they can be a pain when they are not. LOL

Premium Features