• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"new short cooler" on the 2014...really?

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Here is what Cat has written on their website:
http://arcticcat.com/snow/sled/M8000LTD162#orange

Front-Mounted Heat Exchanger

All M 8000 Sno Pro and Limited models incorporate the front-mounted heat exchanger system, which is a single unit that is nearly 4 lbs. lighter than the full-length heat exchanger. Proven to help reduce snow buildup and added ridding weight. This system has been proven on the HCR for the past two seasons.

direct copy & paste

Now I have been skeptical of the 18lb claim because I had a 13' and it had a short cooler. This seems deceptive to me...18lb loss from the 12's maybe. My original thought was that Cat was claiming this because the short cooler on the 13's was added after the initial release. Due mostly impart to consumer demand I believe. But they readily acknowledge the short cooler in their little "our sled holds less snow" promo vid.

I talked to my dealer tonight, and his partner had just returned form the Cat show. He was under the impression that the 2014's have a NEW SHORTER, MORE FORWARD MOUNTED COOLER. Different from the 12'-13' models. This would be great....IF it is true.

Any one else heard any specifics regarding this to confirm or deny? or pics from the Dealer show?

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
Past history would say that they are double counting the things'13 LE owners already have like the short cooler and drilled rotor.

even in good snow on trail in I feel the cooling system is just barely big enough,generally on way in need scratchers and way out 50/50 of the time

K
Sep 30, 2009
even in good snow on trail in I feel the cooling system is just barely big enough,generally on way in need scratchers and way out 50/50 of the time

Im more than happy to have to run scratchers on the trail for the benefits it has brought. Almost no ice build up along the tunnel and less weight. My 13 LE was just awesome and I look forward to the 14. Im happy they powder coated all the snopros this year too. Theyre on the right path with that for sure.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
It will require scratchers, but I run with then most of the time anyway as insurance. It's spring in MN, so I'm going to find out.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Threw my scratchers away at 10 miles on my 12 hcr, when i see the light rarely i just dive into the snow it goes off instantly, if your in any snow at all you will never see the light. These are mountain sleds not trail sleds.

Love my short cooler, especially now that i have to replace the whole tunnel its half the work, no snow buildup/ice buildup anywhere down the tunnel or standing rails,

Honestly i think its one of the best designed cooling systems on the snow for any lightweight desired mountain rider you want a trail sled buy one!! Ill tske the 4 pound weight loss and sever pound snow buildup weight loss!!

-Aksnopro

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
LOVE my 2013 LE with short cooler........never a real issue, these sleds have plenty of cooling, even turbo guys don't seem to have problems, but.........this is NOT a trail sled for sure:D

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I agree, the short cooler is AWESOME! But the 18# is not from 13'. It's from 12'. So it's not really a 18 pound weight loss, it's more like 10# or 12# weight loss. Done. Unless excited. I've taken dumps bigger than that. Deep down, I really hope poo disappoints me on Monday.

Last edited:
S
I think Cat is talking up the change as applying to their whole lineup. My understanding was the 13 LE and HCR only had the short cooler. Now the base models do too.

I always get the impression (with a *lot* of companies*) that marketing asks for a list of changes, engineers reply with a list that's a mile long of mundane ****, marketing condenses it to things that sound marketable. :juggle:

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
13 Sno Pros did not have the short cooler, drilled brake rotor etc. They are inclusive when they say 18 lbs. but the 14 LE's and HCR's are really only about 9lbs lighter than their 2013 counterparts. That means the 2014 162's are around 453 - 455lbs. dry. Minus the exhaust suitcase, 437 -440 dry. That sounds pretty good to me, Poo 163 is 423 dry, thats less than 17lbs. difference in the garage. Take them out on the snow and the Cat is going to be lighter than the Poo.:face-icon-small-coo

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Ak, talked to a couple of my Buds that were out today in epic deep conditions on a couple of 13's same length, same size riders. both long time Summiter's. Sounds like the Kitty had a little Poo for lunch! Kitty was geared 19/50.:face-icon-small-win

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I want a 13 cat, but i dont want to risk getting another lemon and i watched my buddies 13 eatem right next to me. I cant roll the dice lat, i cant afford another expensive belt eating season no matter which one barely out performs the other. I still have my cat. And love it, but it is what it is and thats a gamble getting the new cat that im not willing to take. It might be a diff story if i could wait for a snowcheck but then im writing off this season.

:(

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Ak,

I hear ya. I just feel like you were doomed from the get go on your last sled. I think you would not be with your next because the correct gearing in the beginning would keep other parts from being damaged. I believe that the subsequent damage that occurred on your sled were a result of way to much heat in your clutches. By the time you went to 20/49, it was too late to salvage the rest of the damages and your time with that gearing was very limited when you lost the chaincase. Your dealer took you back to 21/49 after that, WOW! Like I said, doomed to failure, and not because of your self, but, because of Cat, your dealer, and circumstance. Start with the 19/50 and I think the scenario is completely different. I wish you Good Luck on which ever sled you choose, you seem like a decent enough fella! :beer;

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Thanks lat, and i think your right, my buddys 13 was a le black, so it was one of the earlier ones off the line too, I wish i could test out a new cat and if it blew a belt be able to take it back....

Dont you get 30 days!??? Or is that just for certain things?

Cause i would buy one if i had that option!

-Aksnopro

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
13 Sno Pros did not have the short cooler, drilled brake rotor etc. They are inclusive when they say 18 lbs. but the 14 LE's and HCR's are really only about 9lbs lighter than their 2013 counterparts. That means the 2014 162's are around 453 - 455lbs. dry. Minus the exhaust suitcase, 437 -440 dry. That sounds pretty good to me, Poo 163 is 423 dry, thats less than 17lbs. difference in the garage. Take them out on the snow and the Cat is going to be lighter than the Poo.:face-icon-small-coo

Is it even that much? I thought the shorter cooler took off more like 12, so the loss is only about 6 in reality.

Basically, in reality, the only sled that lost any decent amount of weight was the snopro... the rest lost some real marketing lbs though!:face-icon-small-win

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
I think the twelve pound difference was inclusive of the cooler, drilled brake rotor, etc. At any rate, the weight loss on the LE's and HCR's isn't the full 18lbs, but they are both lighter than they were for 2013. I'm O.K. with it. All the manufacturers have used this same type of marketing hype at one time or another when it comes to weight loss for sure. :spy:

Premium Features