• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I have closed my Facebook account.................

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Read this:
https://andreavahl.com/facebook/linkedin-ads-vs-facebook-ads-a-case-study.php

<table border="1" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="545"><tbody><tr valign="TOP"></tr><tr valign="TOP"> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">Facebook</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">LinkedIn</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="37%">Impressions</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">212,632</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">70,679</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="37%">Clicks</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">74</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">23</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="37%">Average Cost per Click</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">$0.31</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">$3.25</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="37%">Total Spent</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">$65.09</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">$74.78</td> </tr> <tr valign="TOP"> <td width="37%">Conversions</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="31%">7</td> <td style="text-align: center;" width="32%">0</td></tr></tbody></table>
I'd say that is $65 well spent.
That charted pasted funny. Facebook is the first column with 212,632 impressions, Linkedin is the second one.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I can assure you it works for the fact that companies are spending a lot of money on it and they are continuing to spend money on it.
If it didn't work they wouldn't continue the investment.
That is very poor logic. I would think the housing crashes, the stock market crashes, the latest investment boondoggle at JPMorgan would be proof enough that just because companies spend lots of money on it, doesn't make it a good thing.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Read this:
https://andreavahl.com/facebook/linkedin-ads-vs-facebook-ads-a-case-study.php
I'd say that is $65 well spent.
That charted pasted funny. Facebook is the first column with 212,632 impressions, Linkedin is the second one.

Well spent for what? Clicks? You are proving that adds work based on the amount people click on things?

I thought the point of adds was to get people to buy your product. That is the results I am looking for. Not how many people clicked on stuff.. unless it is the "buy" button on checkout.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Well spent for what? Clicks? You are proving that adds work based on the amount people click on things?

I thought the point of adds was to get people to buy your product. That is the results I am looking for. Not how many people clicked on stuff.. unless it is the "buy" button on checkout.

The assumption is that if someone clicks on your ad they are interested in your product.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
The assumption is that if someone clicks on your ad they are interested in your product.

Exactly, and while it is something they might not be purchasing right this minute. They might buy it later on down the road, or at least know it is out there.

Do you think Polaris runs ads on snowmobile sites like this because they expect you to go to their website and buy a snowmobile right that minute?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Exactly, and while it is something they might not be purchasing right this minute. They might buy it later on down the road, or at least know it is out there.

Do you think Polaris runs ads on snowmobile sites like this because they expect you to go to their website and buy a snowmobile right that minute?

Again, you guys can't prove any of this. Know one knows the effects of advertising. They know where you go, and what you look at online, but as to the extent that you purchase something, it seems there is limited data that show results.

Would people's buying habits change much if all advertising were removed from life?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So far, advertising works for the following reasons..

1) Because people click on stuff
2) Because companies spend money on it
3) Because you guys say so...

Just thought I would wrap this up..

Oh, and screw that Ed guy. Leaving the US with all his earnings...

We seem to have a society that no longer thinks being a US citizen means something..

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
So far, advertising works for the following reasons..

1) Because people click on stuff
2) Because companies spend money on it
3) Because you guys say so...

Just thought I would wrap this up..

Oh, and screw that Ed guy. Leaving the US with all his earnings...

We seem to have a society that no longer thinks being a US citizen means something..

For those of us in marketing, this is a familiar thing to hear. I often respond by pointing out that U.S. companies would not invest $70 billion (yes, that's the size of TV's ad market) in something they thought didn't work. Companies expect advertising to produce returns, just like any other investment. The reason that my friend -- and, I'm guessing, many of your friends -- think advertising doesn't "work" is that they think advertisements are trying to make them do something immediately.

They're wrong.

Successful advertising rarely succeeds through argument or calls to action. Instead, it creates positive memories and feelings that influence our behavior over time to encourage us to buy something at a later date. No one likes to think that they are easily influenced. In fact, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that we respond negatively to naked attempts at persuasion.

Instead, the best advertisements are ingenious at leaving impressions. Consider my dinner party friend, who, after claiming to be immune to marketing, proceeded to describe an erectile dysfunction ad with impressive detail. She then intoned cigarette ad slogans ("Cal-l-l for-r-r Phil-lip Mor-ray-ssss") from the early 1950s when Philip Morris sponsored the "I Love Lucy" show. You can check out that clip, and other favorite advertisements hand-selected by me and the Atlantic staff, in the gallery below.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
For those of us in marketing, this is a familiar thing to hear. I often respond by pointing out that U.S. companies would not invest $70 billion (yes, that's the size of TV's ad market) in something they thought didn't work. Companies expect advertising to produce returns, just like any other investment. The reason that my friend -- and, I'm guessing, many of your friends -- think advertising doesn't "work" is that they think advertisements are trying to make them do something immediately.

They're wrong.

Successful advertising rarely succeeds through argument or calls to action. Instead, it creates positive memories and feelings that influence our behavior over time to encourage us to buy something at a later date. No one likes to think that they are easily influenced. In fact, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that we respond negatively to naked attempts at persuasion.

yep, I get all that... thought it seems like there is limited empirical data that actually supports it.

Show me a study that correlates advertisements vs increased purchasing of a product. 2 year time frame seems acceptable..

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
yes!

Have you or anyone you know bought anything from online advertising? It is a no for me. How about you?

Acutally, I did buy something from a website I found through one of their ads here on snowest. They would not have gotten that business without that advertisement.

I do a lot of my computer shopping on either Amazon.com or Newegg.com. I believe I found Newegg through an online advertisement.

Now, my one anecdotal piece of evidence doesn't mean much, I admit. Did you read either article I linked? One of them did talk about an empirical study done to measure the effect of online advertising.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
IP tracking goes a long ways. You click the ad, they know the website that referred you to their page, they know the date time, ip address, computer, operating system, browser, Internet provider that the person visiting is all using.
Maybe in 6 months you come back from one of the same devices (computer or same Internet connection). That would be successful advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
IP tracking goes a long ways. You click the ad, they know the website that referred you to their page, they know the date time, ip address, computer, operating system, browser, Internet provider that the person visiting is all using.
Maybe in 6 months you come back from one of the same devices (computer or same Internet connection). That would be successful advertising.
There is even more out there tracking you...
http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/05/03/ted-u-talk-gary-kovacs-tracking-the-trackers/

<object width="526" height="374">
<param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param>
<param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2012U/Blank/GaryKovacs_2012U-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/GaryKovacs_2012U-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0&ti=1436&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=gary_kovacs_tracking_the_trackers;year=2012;theme=technology_history_and_destiny;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=not_business_as_usual;event=TED2012;tag=Internet;tag=business;tag=technology;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" />
<embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="526" height="374" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talk/stream/2012U/Blank/GaryKovacs_2012U-320k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/GaryKovacs_2012U-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0&ti=1436&lang=&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=gary_kovacs_tracking_the_trackers;year=2012;theme=technology_history_and_destiny;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=not_business_as_usual;event=TED2012;tag=Internet;tag=business;tag=technology;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;"></embed>
</object>

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is exactly why I no longer care to belong to this cult.

Premium Features