• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013's New DOO revolution

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I think it looks awesome !!! Dont like the painted tunnel. Wont be buying a new sled for the next season, thats for sure. Lets see what 2014 brings...theres gotta be a factory turbo in the making somewhere.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
and that is why overall the polaris was also quicker up the mountain than the skidoo? (we are talking year 12). I just got done looking at some mag where they did alot of heads up racing. Think it was OSM? I can't remember.

Honestly, i realy like the 12 skidoo and the 12 pro. I will be buying a new sled this summer so i can't wait to throw a leg over them in the comeing months.

http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/polaris/2012-mountain-sled-evaluations-part-2-1537.html

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Overall, decent changes. Game changer? No The suspension, I dunno. I'd have to ride one for a full day to see if it was a the "game changer" that everyone says it is. The coolest thing I like is that the top of the sled pops of in minutes to be able to access the motor from above. That makes working on it much easier. No more DNA being left trying to get at the motor from the side. Makes reading pistons and wash way easier.

I was hoping to see some serious weight loss. So, in summary. I won't be dropping the coin on a 13, of any brand. I'll stay on the on that I already have "refined" into the sled that I want.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
What is up with the MASSIVE heat trapping plastic cover over the clutches? C'mon, that thing looks ridiculous!! I was kind of thinking about jumping back on doo this year, but not seeing it being worth the coin, and not just because of the clutch gaurd. Weight is very important to me, cat and doo need diets badly. Before you jump on me about posting in the doo forum and owning a poo, I have owned DOO up to last year, and I don't bleed any manufacturer's colors. I ride whatever...

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I ride doo am I am biased but with no snow this year I will keep what I got. Might buy a pro and turbo it though. I think doo has cold feet with economy and there is lots of iron setting on showroom floors due to no snow across the country I think sales before jan 1 determined what they would come with and how agressive they would be but weight is key in mts thats why I still ride my 09. The low snow has hurt mt resorts but my opinion is that even with good snow sledders are going less than they did in last decade. I see less sleds on interstate here in nd every year. sorry for long post

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What is up with the MASSIVE heat trapping plastic cover over the clutches? C'mon, that thing looks ridiculous!! I was kind of thinking about jumping back on doo this year, but not seeing it being worth the coin, and not just because of the clutch gaurd. Weight is very important to me, cat and doo need diets badly. Before you jump on me about posting in the doo forum and owning a poo, I have owned DOO up to last year, and I don't bleed any manufacturer's colors. I ride whatever...

I thought the same thing at first but that plastic cover actually works! It is a simple "duct" that moves a LOT of air through the footwell. It also keeps the clutch from grinding a hole in the side panel. Looks goofy but it works as designed....and retrofits to any XP, it's stock on the '12's.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
i was hoping for more weight loss but here it is
attachment.php

specs.PNG

Last edited:
X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I'm actually glad I'm not in the market for a new sled. I do really like the Polaris but just don't trust that motor enough to spend 12k and it needs a little more hp. New Doo, so far from what I've seen, no big deal. Gonna keep my 09 and put a Camo xtreme on, it goes pretty much everywhere the new ones go now.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
LOL.and.if ya cant sidehill,stay on the trail

dude, all your comments make it seem like you're a blind doo fan w/ yellow panties and a bumble bee tattoo on your lower back.

Clearly anyone with normal skill levels can sidehill an XP. It's not hard. But, its HARDER to sidehill and technically ride an XP than it is to ride a Pro, or even an M-sled that came out in 2005. Granted, the XP probably is the highmark king, and the ETEC shines as the best motor in sled, maybe ever? But please be realistic - If you enjoy technical lines and deep snow riding, the Pro is easier to ride and is moving the sport forward in number of areas (the skid is the bomb for stock, its very light, and it excels in pulling off insane lines). It's downfall is basically just the motor. And being easier to ride doesn't mean its for girls (no offense ladies), it means you can ride longer, harder, and push into areas and locations that would be a lot more sketchy if you were on an XP. Hate it or not, the Pro is a better sled for riding techincally.

This XM has some cool stuff on it, but the XP needed a revolutionary change in architecture. All it got was a laundry list of small nice little evolutionary changes. Too bad. I might have bought a 2013 if it had lost weight and had some geometery changes that helped it become less fatiguing to ride.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Perspective:

154" XM = 464lbs/163HP = 2.85lbs per pony
155" Pro - 417lbs/146HP = 2.86lbs per pony

Pretty much exactly the same.

Figure only half the power gets to the track and the average rider weighs 200lbs w/ gear + 65lbs for fuel/oil/coolant/etc.

154" XM = 729lbs/81.5HP = 8.94lbs per pony
155" Pro = 682lbs/73HP = 9.34lbs per pony

Edge in climbing = Doo

If you believe a P-85 and a Team Seconary w/ belt drive probably help create some efficiency in the drivetrain, perhaps a 5% improvement (55% efficient?), then:

154" XM = 729lbs/81.5HP = 8.94lbs per pony
155" Pro = 682lbs/80.3HP = 8.49lbs per pony

Just some food for thought.

What i take away from this is that the Pro's lighter weight but lower HP about balance out w/ the XP/XM's higher weight, higher power. That's probably why on average the Pro and XP's are pretty close while climbing, but one just weights significantly less than the other.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
You can Snocheck the new XM on Skidoos site!

163" XM X = 13,849.00 CAD

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
If the weight posted is correct and the horsepower number is correct, the 2013 Polaris has a slight superior horsepower to weight ratio (very slight) if the Polaris is still rated at 143 horsepower. Given the superior handling characteristics of the Pro and the new belt drive which will actually put more usable horsepower to the track, I can't see where the debate is regarding which sled will work better in the mountains. I am not trying to start a war, I am just comparing what we know about the sleds right now. Riding them will be the difference maker. However, for me, weight is the biggest single issue that I am concerned about. A 50 lb. difference between the two sleds is huge! I am surprised that Ski Doo has conceded the weight race to Polaris in such a dramatic fashion. 10 or 15 lbs. would not be that big of a deal to me but 50 lbs. is a deal breaker.

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Wonder where the doo team came up with flickable LOL. I doubt Burant test rode the sled for them..... You can crunch numbers all you want but the pro gets up on the snow faster and feels way easier to manuver on the hill or in the tree's. People always go to the I cant side hill an XP well most of the XP riders I see ride a Pro cant side hill with it cause they are on the snow and not on the sled. I was hoping Doo had a game changer so I could get one back in my stable for next season but now my xp will just be a low priced trade in on a new Pro. I am pissed all this time everyone has been saying a doo game changer, Polaris didnt claim a game changer but certainly came to the table with a bunch of new stuff people wanted. I think the only game changer here is profit margin doo is going to see.

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
It's progression.. each year cool new features are brought together which makes our life in the mountains that much better. Things that were once aftermarket mods are now becoming stock. I found the 2012 sled very rider friendly and maneuverable. If this new skid concept rides the way I've been told then I think were all in for a treat. Oh yeah and TURBO accessory....sweeeet!!----------GK

Premium Features