• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handguards

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
How are you guys mounting these? Using cat ones or aftermarket? Love to here some feedback and see some pics. Seems like the space to mount on the bars isn't there. Thanks guys...

Burck

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i use the nylon (read, plastic) mounts from cat on our M's, with rsi guards. i had to source some screws, and spacers to mount the guards to the mounts but, it is pretty straight forward.

the big draw back with the plastic mount is, THEY BREAK EASILY. But, they are fairly cheap to replace. about 20-25 bux for the mounts. i keep a couple spare sets in the trailer for 'emergencies'.

you need to watch when you roll the sled over, especially on harder, set up snow (spring conditions). also, cold days, and larger branch hits, equal broken mounts.

i was thinking about taking the plastic mounts to my cnc friend and have him duplicate them in aluminum.... problem solved. ski

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I assume you're talking about on your 11?

we run these

Wijs8K06_DwiuVEUx62MkOZSDptM2qY8ZUa12Y9Vj9v6NM7eUpWBTHeiS410jSfzIEumsk5Z7-iAzrVVBdR3vlZUAquPDuKeHIhyNo_ed9hWETv-CGQFT71UKmL-IR3aJZPXFBGxGxI-AeW9Uh4

And mount them just outside the center clamp. I think regular handguards are USELESS, I've tried 4 or 5 different ones... and they all break when you roll the sled to get unstuck. These keep the trees off you, let you squeak by them without catching, protect your hand if you roll while still on the bars, make it so the the bars can't "spear" you (how a buddy of mine lost his spleen riding 2 yrs ago), they're bigger, so more effective, and they'll just last longer.

Abby's mount
246972_1757357215800_1295088056_31540741_4376845_n.jpg

my mount, on protapers
300699_2168931104890_1295088056_31918685_476815222_n.jpg

This is how they look

386333_2203410206846_1295088056_31932334_1194241981_n.jpg

FYI, I've tried a few of the other barkbusters as well, and these cycras are by far much better than acerbis, or the generic ones thet VOHK carries sometimes, these have the protection where you need it, where the others for some reason are wider closer to the bar end, but not where your hand goes.

They're worth the $$.

btw, I don't have handwarmers on my 11, so these obviosuly do a pretty good job of keeping my hands out of the wind.

Last edited:
A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Hey backcountryislife,

Do these work on the stock bars? Or would you have to get rid of the hooked ends? I have always wondered about using those. I had those on my KX250. They are awesome.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yes, they look cool but, to be honest. I tired hand guards on two different sleds. I found that while sidehilling and climbing all over the sled it made hanging on a bit more difficult.

When going *** over tea kettle after hitting an unseen object under the snow I darn near broke my wrist. I removed them to save myself from missing a bunch of riding time due to the high potential for a wrist injury.

Honestly, the small pieces of plastic stategically positioned in front of your hands to save you from wind blast works fairly well on the trail but, you have to ask yourself, how much wind blast are you really saving yourself from while boondocking?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Hey backcountryislife,

Do these work on the stock bars? Or would you have to get rid of the hooked ends? I have always wondered about using those. I had those on my KX250. They are awesome.

The first pic is of a stock bar setup, you just bend the returns so that they go in at the angle of the bars. Takes an extra 5 min for install.

Been riding these for a few years now (about 7000 miles between the two of us, plus a number of other buddies with the same ones with even more time on them) and I eat crap daily... never found a way to hurt myself because of them.

I know sledding & biking are different, but if they're sketchy for sledding... can't see them being any safer for biking. I go over the bars more on my bike than my sled.

As for moving around on the machine, these allow you to actually pull off of them when needed as well. I don't use a mountain strap, so every now & then I use them to yank off of when I'm not pulling the sled to me like I should.

Btw... I don't buy SQUAT... to look cool. Wanna look cool... do something your buddies can't. That's cool, not handguards. ;)

Last edited:
B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Interesting. Figured it would have to be something similar to that because of the little amount of space to mount them. With no windshield ive been kicking around the idea, but not 100%. I understand where guys are coming from about breaking them off for sure. Definitely don't want to be breaking off 130$ sets!

Caleb you think they make that much of a difference? I guess my hands don't get too cold, but those windy days they sure would be nice.

Proclimb holding up? Turbo ordered up yet?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
She CLAIMS she's ok without one... we'll see!!! Rode with Alex yesterday... I'd take either sled without feeling bad, both are pretty sweet stock.

They do make a big difference, I go from wearing heavier gloves to wearing more of a thin pipe glove (thin gloves with sticky exterior) most of the season, and I don't have warmers anymore. Yesterday Ab was bitching about not having them, told me we needed to get them before next time out.

Install isn't quite as simple on the 12 snopro bars though, not sure what we'll do there. Probably gonna get a different post & bar setup anyhow though, so she'll have to suffer till Kurt comes out with a post we can mount normal bars to.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
You might want to add some minimally expanding foam into your handle bars. It really makes the bar end heaters much more efficient.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a glove that was thin on the palm side and thicker on the backside of the fingers. That way you could grip the bars easily and the thicker insulated back side would keep the back side of your hands warm. It sounds like that's what you are trying to do by installing hand guards.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You might want to add some minimally expanding foam into your handle bars. It really makes the bar end heaters much more efficient.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a glove that was thin on the palm side and thicker on the backside of the fingers. That way you could grip the bars easily and the thicker insulated back side would keep the back side of your hands warm. It sounds like that's what you are trying to do by installing hand guards.

That trick does help a ton!!!

Btw, Klim does make a glove where you put your hand under the liner, so it does exactly what you're talking about. My wife has a pair, and she loves them, on a cold day she'll run them with the liner under the hand, then when we start jumping she'll flip it to above the hand for a better grip.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Fusion gloves.

Gore-tex® glove with gore® 2 in 1 technology Warm position: 200 gram ThinsulateTM on top of hand/100 gram ThinsulateTM on palm Grip position: 300 gram ThinsulateTM on top of hand/no insulation on palm

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
skinz guards offer a very easy install...warm....and secure..
just not as rigid or maximum protection like some,but check them out,i love mine

J
Nov 13, 2009
Alaska
Hey Backcountry, did you use 1 1/8 for the stock bars or will either work. Do you have a photo of the bend in the returns going into the bars that you could post. Thanks, I apologize for the novice questions.

Premium Features